Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161639 - 01/06/09 07:53 PM coyote after skier?
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

#161642 - 01/06/09 08:15 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: clearwater]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Sounds like the coyote wanted to join in the fun...

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#161644 - 01/06/09 08:22 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: clearwater]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I wonder if it was using Acme rocket-powered skis?

We have lots of coyotes even around here, in the outskirts of the Chicago suburbs. They've never bothered us and I'm glad they're eating those rodents (and roadrunners). I do worry that they'll get a little too used to humans since they are so protected (I suspect shooting one would be illegal here, but don't know that).

I think I read somewhere that coyotes used to be, by nature, pack animals, and as Europian-based civilization spread across North America, the impact of human hunting/trapping forced them to live more solitary lives. Supposedly now that they are more protected they may be moving back to living in packs. I know around here we hear them howling in small packs (families?).

Ken

#161653 - 01/06/09 09:31 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: KenK]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Lions and tigers and bears oh my"
Once again, higher carnivores; bears, wolves,men share a adaptive feature beyond tooth and claw. it is highly individual personalities.
Coyote, Canis Latrans, aka God's dog was once a regtional canid restricted to roughly Arizona-Utah-New Mexico.Coyote was kept in check largely by another carnivore we eradicated known as Canis Lupus, the wolf.Coyotes have taken over the void by the wolve's eradication and have evolved a number of adaptive strategies, including pack behavior.And coyotes will respond like any other predator to the flight reaction, which a smaller child on skies certainly invokes.
My ranch had a resident coyote named Suzy, readilly identified by
the rare genetic defect of a fifth foreleg growing out of one elbow. Suzie loved to eat avacodos, rats and sit in the arena watching us lope horses. A big male coyote came in one night during foaling and Suzie knocked the snot out of him when he charged a colt.This is the wolf individual that gave us canus domesticus, or snoopy.
You want coyotes back in their old range? bring back the wolf- and grizzlies in Los Angeles for that matter. They might give some of our gangs pause.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/06/09 09:35 PM)

#161655 - 01/06/09 09:40 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: KenK]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: KenK
I wonder if it was using Acme rocket-powered skis?

Been a long time since I heard a reference to old Wile E. Coyote... made me smile.

- Ron

#161660 - 01/06/09 10:38 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: NightHiker]
dropout Offline

Yeah odd bunch of animals. remember Quizno's?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5184045

That kid will remember this experience lol

#161661 - 01/06/09 11:12 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
grizzlies in Los Angeles for that matter. They might give some of our gangs pause.

*laughs* Years ago, NPR had a piece about a massive number of tiger cubs going to the humane societies and the like in Texas. The only thing I could think of is "pity they are too stubborn to train for police work." THAT would get someone's attention, particularly after the first time the tactical team gives someone the option of surrendering or they'll send in the cat.

And I agree, trying to predict what one coyote will do is pretty hard. This one probably wasn't looking to play fetch, but rather find out how humans were moving so fast. But I've been wrong trying to outthink them before.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#161670 - 01/07/09 12:00 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ironraven
grizzlies in Los Angeles for that matter. They might give some of our gangs pause.

*laughs* Years ago, NPR had a piece about a massive number of tiger cubs going to the humane societies and the like in Texas. The only thing I could think of is "pity they are too stubborn to train for police work." THAT would get someone's attention, particularly after the first time the tactical team gives someone the option of surrendering or they'll send in the cat.

And I agree, trying to predict what one coyote will do is pretty hard. This one probably wasn't looking to play fetch, but rather find out how humans were moving so fast. But I've been wrong trying to outthink them before.

Ironraven,

Here is where they went. It is an incredible place for these animals. If ever in the Tyler, Texas area and enjoy big cats, do stop in.
Tiger Creek

RIP OBG

#161676 - 01/07/09 12:28 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: JohnE]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...join in the fun..."

I think you might be right. I have seen coyotes playing with all kinds of stuff. On the other hand, he may have been foaming at the mouth...

#161686 - 01/07/09 01:29 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country

You want coyotes back in their old range? bring back the wolf- and grizzlies in Los Angeles for that matter. They might give some of our gangs pause.

Funny thing is, there ARE wolves in the LA area! I went to school in Orange county, and one of the teachers had a wolf from the yellowstone area, part of a breeding project.

It was quite the treat to see/pet one while in 7th grade. The thing is massive. Talk about a good guard dog. Hmmm... wolf... or some wussy domestic dog?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.