Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wilson 1911 mags are awesome... that's all I know laugh

#161680 - 01/07/09 12:52 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Todd W]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
It's a nice looking knife, but much too rich for my blood.

If it's a tool you think you are going to appreciate for the money, why not get it. If it functions no better than a knife of similar size and a lower price, then how disappinted will you be? That's the real question.

I don't think this board is the place that one comes to get talked out of buying a knife. You might get talked out of buying a specific one, while you get talked into an alternative. Or, you may end up buying both, in time. I see nothing wrong with this either. IMO, one cannot have too many good knives.

#161684 - 01/07/09 01:27 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Again, Wilson has been around, makes lots of nice goodies for those who need beavertail grip tangs to prevent pinching,safety extensions and all that other stuff SGT York so desperately needed in his famous gunfight with a charging unit of Prussian Guardsmen.

Um, I think York and his boys were charging the Germans. Then were counter attacked. But, my memory could be spotty.

As for D2, I think I remember hearing that it's not bad, but you'll notice most folks don't use it. Supposed to be difficult to sharpen (and thus dull), but that also screams "brittle" in my mind.

#161687 - 01/07/09 01:34 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Funny benjammin you bring up the Busse knives, I was in the back yard chopping down a small palm tree with a NBFBM and it still remains razor sharp to shave with it. I don't know what Jerry does with that INFI but the more I use it the more I get amazed. Yea I stopped trying to rant and rave about the Busse knives because of so many different groups, the Busse Clan, the Mora Clan, and the lists go on and on. I still only carry Busse and scrapyard but have rats as well. This is my old stash but has grown since, Busse's a hard habit to shake, I'll have to start going to BKAA (Busse Knife Addiction Anonymous) to cure my addiction and wallet.

#161691 - 01/07/09 02:18 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: falcon5000]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Overlooked in York's taking out machinegun nests and then outflanking the enrenched large unit of infantry was a singleheanded gunfight. York was charged by Prussian Guards, Germnan elite soldiers all 6' plus. York killed 5 with his 1917 Remington Enfield, droopped it and pulled his 1911, killing the remaining7.

#161707 - 01/07/09 04:30 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The first M1911A1 I used in competition was a conglomeration of parts of the best pistols in the armory. It was the only way to get a 1911 that didn't sound like a baby rattle when shaken. One of the best issue 1911's I have ever fired, other than a true Colt National Match at Camp Perry.

RIP OBG

#161710 - 01/07/09 04:45 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...baby rattle..."

That was my first 1911, an Ithica made obtained thru the DCM for the total price of $17, including shipping. Trigger pull was to hard the trigger weighs of my gun club could not make it go off...

#161721 - 01/07/09 05:46 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Beats the heck out of one so worn that it's full auto. In an experienced shooters hand no injury should occur. In a new shooter it was a REALLY exciting day to be the range safety NCO. She let the slide go forward on a full mag and it was an empty mag in a blink of an eye. Thank god she was standing on wet grassy ground.

RIP OBG

#161723 - 01/07/09 06:27 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: dropout]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

D2 is known as a highly wear resistant steel. It's very hard, not that tough and not too impact resistant. A difficult steel to work and heat treat so not too popular with the more traditional knifemakers.

D2 can make a good blade when heat treated properly. For some reason though it doesn't seem to be able to take a very fine edge and cannot be highly polished (you get a weird orange peel effect, hard to explain until you've tried grinding D2). Can be real pain to sharpen on natural or softer artificial stones.

#161724 - 01/07/09 06:42 AM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: comms]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: comms
I never understood the desire for 'combat' knives for any reason more than familiarity with the tool from past professional experience. And that's okay. I won't be high and mighty here, I am very fond of Gerber Mark 2's, but really what are those good for off a battlefield?

I recently got to play with a Gerber LMF and it was an awesome knife. The blade seemed small you don't need long blades for most outdoor craft. The butt cap can pound or be pounded on, it carries its own built in sharpener. Plus its under a hundred. It will be my next fixed blade purchase.

The term "combat knife" doesn't mean much, at least not much more than the word "tactical". A true fighting knife would be something along the lines of the Fairbairn-Sykes dagger (the Gerber Mk II is pretty much the same thing), meant for killing and little else. I don't think too many folks except for the entirely uninitiated would attempt to pick any knife like that for their primary outdoor survival knife.

On the other hand, the typical "combat knife" these days is basically a medium-sized Bowie, which has been the most popular type of outdoor hunting/survival knife since the early 19th c. when the Sheffield knifemakers began marketing them. Nowadays the USMC Kabar is the most popular example of its kind. It can make a helluva weapon if necessary but it's primarily a tool. The concept of a 7" Bowie blade may not appeal to everyone but it really works as an outdoor survival tool, hence its popularity.

BTW, interesting what you said about the Gerber LMF. I bought one for a friend and so got the chance to play with it for a little while but there was nothing about it I liked. Too space age, uncomfortable handle, wrong balance and less than perfect blade geometry. I also never figured how to make the sheath work. IMHO it's no improvement over the older generation of US military knives, more the contrary. But I well understand somebody else may find it more suited to his taste. Which is a good thing, the market is huge so to each his own! smile

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.