Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161621 - 01/06/09 06:08 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: dropout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The product line looks good, and those higher grade knives have a really nice touch, but it seems they are rather pricey ($2,400 for a limited grade?)

For what you'd spend to get a "Tactical" grade Wilson, I would recommend checking out some of the Busse family of knives (big groan from the crowd, here comes the schpiel).

Busse are also american made, using a rather proprietary alloy that has been quite well tested by the industry. They have a forum page at Bladeforums as well as their own website. Their big drawback is never having stock to sell. As soon as they make a production run, they sell out quickly.

The reason I advocate this manufacturer is due to my experience abroad, and the fact that I own several of their blades and have put them through the wringer and they have performed better than expected. Combine that with an unconditional guarantee (you break it, they will repair or replace it for the cost of shipping) and you have yourself a deal that cannot be beat for the money you spend. The mainline of Busse knives are the high end, they also make lower grade but quite functional models under their Scrapyard and Swamp Rat brands, also with the same guarantee.

In the world of knives, I've come to realize that pretty much any knife at any price range can be considered adequate and satisfactory for the money you pay, more or less. There are ripoffs at any price range, so caveat emptor, but even an inexpensive Mora, which can be had for less than $20 these days, is a quality knife in the proper context. I wouldn't spend $200 on any Mora, but for what they charge, you do get your money's worth. In my opinion, D2 is not the end all, be all of knife steels, any more than Busse's INFI alloy would be, or for that matter 1055 or 1080 or 420 or 440. All have their place somewhere, with advantages and disadvantages. Designs also vary considerably, and Busse knives are almost always big brutish knives that aren't really made for delicate work. They are what I would call combat grade, if such a term could be so singularly descriptive.

As to your question, I have no experience with Wilson knives at all. From what I saw on the website, they look good, and would seem to be a quality made knife. If you do acquire one, please share with us your observations and opinions. As for me, I know what I like, so I doubt I would seek to get a Wilson myself. You never know what deal may come around the corner, though...

BTW, welcome to the forum. Hope to see you post more.

#161626 - 01/06/09 06:42 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: dropout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK Dropout, It was a fair question and a good answer.

I work as a carpenter and sharp edges are part of the business.
I will pay top money for top of the line tools because I make my living with them.
At the same time I keep an eye out that those dollars are buying actual tool value.

I do not really think of tools as disposable items.

Knives are tools.

Lose them:
Yup, lost again. It seems that now and then tools grow legs and wander off. I have also dropped them into rivers, had them "Borrowed", had a strange dog run off with one, had my luggage with them in it disappear, forgot them and misplaced them.

Inexpensive enough:
Yup.
I like them inexpensive enough that I can have a few spares around.
Also inexpensive enough that if some lowlife thieving ignorant person steals it I am not really upset, maybe inexpensive enough that they don't steal it and leave it right where it was.
So, How much are you paying for a six ounce piece of steel and why?

Not saying you should not buy, just that you should know why you are buying it.

#161641 - 01/06/09 08:07 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: scafool]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Larger fixed blade knives have been on my mind since last Sunday afternoon when I happened to catch a one-hour show about the USMC winter survival training on the Military Channel (don't know that real name of the training or the place they were at).

I won't hijack the thread with too many details of what I thought was a really cool show, but each of the marines in training were carrying:

-- a multitool - LM Wave? They were using saw and file the most
-- COMBAT KNIFE - looked like a black-handled Kabar
-- canteen
-- metal canteen cup
-- small rope - maybe paracord
-- snowshoes - looked home-made - out of rope and maybe 2" thick bent branches
-- snow shovel w/ removable handle
-- sleeping bag w/ liner
-- bivy sack - camo, not sure what kind
-- ferro rod, but ONLY provided after they'd already started a fire by friction using a bow
-- at some point they showed a dark colored towel or similar cloth and a largish rubber collapsable bucket. They used the towel to hold & melt snow and the bucket to catch the water).

1. It renewed my faith in the utility of the multitool, esp the saw. They used the file and knives to smooth off surfaces for clubs and other tools.

2. It made me rethink about the utility/need of a longer heavier chopper type blade.

They used the multitool to do fine cutting on traps & deadfalls and such. They cut branches for fire & tools (club, slingshot, proximity alarm together with the snow shovel.

They used the combat knife for chopping, prying bark off of dead cedar trees for kindling, and for digging out the burned end of a short log to make a bowl (maybe 9-10" across and closed LM multitool deep). Several used the carbon dust to soothe nausea brought about by hunger/nerves.

Several folks got injured while working to pull firewood off of large dead trees (shredded hands & hits to heads). They would have been soo much better off with a larger saw and leather gloves. Oh ... its so hard not to hijaack the thread.

They each butchered a rabbit on the first day. Much to the happiness of my daughter they didn't show it, but I would have really liked to have seen more details of how they did it ... for example, which knives did they choose to use? They ate just about every part - including the eyes on the first day. Later in the week I noticed some of them with very furry little pouches. Wondered how they cleaned/tanned the leather.

My fixed blade knives: an old Buck Special 119 (1973ish), Becker Crewman BK10, a bunch of Moras of different lengths for RV camp cooking, and my wonderfull Ritter Mk3.

I find myself looking at larger knives such as the Becker BK7 & BK9 wondering if I should get one, but then wonder if I'd ever carry those heavier knives (even my BK10 feels heavy to me). I wonder if they really do much of anything that the Mk3 and a small axe (Snow & Nealley Penobscot Bay) couldn't do better.

By the way, it also made me appreciate what those young men (and one woman) were doing to prepare themselves to protect our freedom. Awesome!!

Ken

#161643 - 01/06/09 08:17 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: KenK]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Well yeah, a larger knife is a valuable tool in skilled hands. I also carry a black handle Kabar outdoors, it's not really heavy or bulky either. A little too big for the chores requiring extreme finesse but all the more useful for the kind of stuff that I need a knife for most of the time - preparing shelter and basic woodworking.

#161646 - 01/06/09 09:01 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Tom_L]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well look, I suppose the thread is officially hijacked but it was regarding A QUESTION BY NEW MEMBER 'DROPOUT' WHO WANTS TO DROP ABOUT $300 ON A WILSON COMBAT KNIFE AND IF THAT IS A CRAZY THING TO DO.

I never understood the desire for 'combat' knives for any reason more than familiarity with the tool from past professional experience. And that's okay. I won't be high and mighty here, I am very fond of Gerber Mark 2's, but really what are those good for off a battlefield?

I recently got to play with a Gerber LMF and it was an awesome knife. The blade seemed small you don't need long blades for most outdoor craft. The butt cap can pound or be pounded on, it carries its own built in sharpener. Plus its under a hundred. It will be my next fixed blade purchase.

#161647 - 01/06/09 09:16 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: comms]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The knife may be Wilson's most requested knife from military personel, but until the Pentagon clarifies what a'tactical knife' is the statement means about as much as 'Mormons overwhelmingly buy Bach and Handel performed by their choir.'
There is a curious contradiction in hollowground blades being called the most robust.
The knife description states it is usefull for 'most' knife applications.' I would really like to know which potentially life saving applications those are. I am sure, once the Wilson 1911 and shotgun have exausted ammunition this 'tactical' knife will kill lots of bad guys armed with child made indonesian blades who's Kalashinkovs have also exausted their ammunition.
Again, Wilson has been around, makes lots of nice goodies for those who need beavertail grip tangs to prevent pinching,safety extensions and all that other stuff SGT York so desperately needed in his famous gunfight with a charging unit of Prussian Guardsmen.
Ultimately, we are all part Magpie and not his wise cousin Raven
and buy what shines for us.

#161649 - 01/06/09 09:19 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: comms]
dropout Offline

LOL Thanks for the IMMEDIATE input from you all!!

I don't like the designation "combat knife" particularly. Mostly because i picture myself using it NOT hurting other human beings...
But looking at their line is tempting. I wonder about D2 metal versus other types. Is it a rust attracter? The armor coating makes me wonder how much care the knife needs.

Thanks for the tips on other brands.

Yeah the cost is the biggest issue. I don't like buying alot and would rather spend some cash knowing i'd get superior quality over something just really good.

And no i'm not looking for a display knife or collectors item.

Thanks guys.

Anymore advice is welcome

Links! Links! Link!!!!!!! Me!!!!!! Sites!!!!!

Edited by dropout (01/07/09 03:24 AM)

#161651 - 01/06/09 09:21 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dropout Offline

Dangit Chris!!!

I did NOT want to know that about myself! :P

#161656 - 01/06/09 10:10 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: dropout]
dropout Offline

D2

Does anyone have a background in metallurgy?

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=103&e=263&c=techart

Sounds to me like it need to be cured at a higher temperature to gain maximum hardness and minimum shrinkage. It says the corrosion resistance is average. (tacticoat a must?)

Anyone know a good site to see different types of steel side by side?

#161666 - 01/06/09 11:52 PM Re: Wilson Combat Knives [Re: dropout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
This is a decision shall be driven mostly by how much you are willing to spend. I can say I have handled both the mod.4 and the mod.22. They are HEAVY and THICK (especially mod.22)

I am sure they are high quality cutting tools, but too much $$$$ for my blood.

I suggest you look upon the mod.22 as a sharpened crowbar/chisel that is too short to use as either.

I have owned several Wilson 1911's and all but one were simply amazing. The one that I was not happy with was taken care of with a smile and no charge to me, so that speaks to their service.

BTW, the Wilson 1911 magazines are the only 1911 mag's I own that don't wear out over time when left fully loaded. YMMV

Edited by Desperado (01/07/09 12:56 AM)

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.