Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160794 - 01/01/09 04:46 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Sorry to hear that you were in a situation that made you quit something you loved doing. I hope that you find something to fill that space that will be as fulfilling.

#160799 - 01/01/09 06:31 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: Nicodemus]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Martin,
BTDT too...to a degree....Had to 'leave' my volly company when college ended. Real rough and I left on good terms. Can't figure how it would have been if I were in your situation.

Thank you for your service. I know you will do well. Remember too....For those (such as yourself) who are really "IN" this field...never really leave it. We always carry it with us.

Fair winds and following seas....

#160819 - 01/01/09 10:13 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Tough decision Martin, but it sounds like it was necessary.

During the first half of my career I spent a huge amount of time "on the job" at work even though I was off-shift. I found that this "volenteer work" was not appreciated and over time I really reduced the amount I provided.

With my new found free-time about 3 years ago I became an instructor with the local youth group that my children are enrolled in. This activity has it's share of responsibility and commitment, but I am much happier than I was before.

I recall an often used quote that, "A change is as good as a rest"; sure was in my case.

Good Luck in finding your next passion.

Mike

#160831 - 01/02/09 12:01 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
........I got an email from the Township Board of Supervisors - they want me to be the director of the township Emergency Management Agency - and the EMA director from the next township over (another ex of my old station) - wants to work with me, so already changes are afoot.

Didn't take them long, now did it? Passion and dedication shines, man.

Looks like I don;t have to make a call and call in a couple of markers after all. ((( laugh )))

#160852 - 01/02/09 04:35 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Martin:

I too know your pain and frustration. I have (in the years I have been certified) walked away from one EMS place and was "forced" out in another.

Time will help you even if you elect not to accept the EMA job. If you do accept then we are all going to support you here on this forum.

A big thank you for the selfless volunteer work you are doing. I work very closely with volunteers in my paid career and I definitely enjoy their help and assistance. I wish some of them quite well as they were members of the SAR, EMS and Sheriff's Office teams that searched for the two missing children near West Magic Reservoir just before Christmas. I know it must be very difficult for them. This thank you also goes to the rest of the members here on this forum who also volunteer in whatever capacity you may do it in. Thank you.

Stargazer

#161083 - 01/03/09 03:42 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: stargazer]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Martin,

This is a great time to step and re-evaluate where and who you are. A little mid-course review, if you will. Breathe some fresh air and enjoy the small (we know it will be) break. Have a great time in your rediscovery of yourself.

#161130 - 01/03/09 07:54 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MoBOB]
WolfBrother Offline
Stranger

Loc: Austin, Tx
Martin,

Understand the pain - BTDT.

My one question for you is - Why didn't you step up and ask to be elected the Chief?

Sounds like that was the next logical step in a progression of leadership roles?

#161288 - 01/04/09 05:54 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: ]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

P.S. If you still work in NYC (I think you did), consider using your expertise to lead eager volunteers. C.E.R.T. is active in NYC, and everyone knows that NYC needs more volunteers.

Yep. Still in NYC. I'm going to relax a bit, and if (ok when) I get back into it, it will be different. I got an email from the Township Board of Supervisors - they want me to be the director of the township Emergency Management Agency - and the EMA director from the next township over (another ex of my old station) - wants to work with me, so already changes are afoot.

Sounds like it might be a better job. More suited to someone like you, at least. Certainly I would want the director of the EMA to be the kind of person who visits this forum. At least your part of the World, if you take the job, will be prepared.

Let's just hope that after he starts, he's still has time to visit the forum! He'll probably have so much work he won't have much time left!

#161396 - 01/05/09 02:23 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Martin,

I can certainly sympathize with your situation. Many times I have contemplated leaving the department, usually over some type of politics. However, each time I remind myself I am doing this for my community and the self-satisfaction one gets from being involved in this type of service.

My suggestions, is to give a few days or weeks of rest and slowly start to respond (on your own terms) to calls. The break will allow you to refresh and mentally regroup. Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater, the Fire/Rescue/EMS Service is very much what makes you, you. I am convinced if you refocus on the reason you got involved in the first place, the politics of the situation will fall by the way side and you will once again look forward to responding.

Pete

#161572 - 01/06/09 01:20 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Martin,

Oh man, that isn't easy. I was a volunteer up north for maybe a year and half. Even after that short time I had a hard time not wanting to run out the door for a call.

Sad to see that a bad person like that can ruin the experience for many.

Mike

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.