The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161423 - 01/05/09 06:45 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: ]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
that is, of course, the Yellowstone volcano zone of explosion.

#161426 - 01/05/09 06:59 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Perception of safety is a funny thing.

I was down in Panama a few years ago,couple of weeks post invasion, working as a photographer. My traveling companions and I were doing a tour around Panama City, talking to residents, seeing the damages up close etc.

At one point, we came across a group of folks who were basically living on the sidewalk of an apt building, the building itself had been shelled so badly it was no longer safe to be in. Huge holes in the walls, no utilities. We stopped and spoke to these folks for a while, heard their stories, I took some photographs. When we got ready to leave, they all asked us where we were going, when we told them our next destination, they implored us to not go there, it wasn't safe for anyone to go to that part of town they claimed. So we asked about going back the way we'd come, no, no, don't do that either, it's not safe there either. Apparently the only safe place for 3 American journalists to be was right there with them.

I'm still struck by how those folks kept up their own sense of what safety means, to them it meant staying in the shadow of their former homes, to us it meant not knowing where the unsafe places for us to be were in advance. We left them there, made our way to the "unsafe" parts of the city and back to our hotel that night unscathed.

It's a funny thing, perception.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#161440 - 01/05/09 07:43 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: JohnE]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, that is the ideal blast fallout footprint. On a more realistic basis, the prevailing winds and the Rockies, Blues and Steen mountain ranges should aid greatly in preventing most of the worst of it from reaching quite that far into Oregon and Washington. When St. Helens blew, I wasn't living that far away, and yet the only ash exposure I received was what went around the planet once. I was less than 80 miles from the eruption at the time. Granted there's a lot more energy expected from the Caldera eruption, but that is still going to be a whole lot of atmospheric energy to have to overcome. Given that Nuclear fallout maps from GZs all along the west coast show virtually no plume extending into SE Oregon, I'd say it is a fair trade-off. Given the sheer volume of ejecta that would be put into the atmosphere, I would think that what gets deposited in Oregon will be not much greater than average global depositions in the northern hemisphere anyways.

There's always a chance that large destructive media might make it that far, but I think propogational losses will be great enough at that range that it should be negligible compared to the general hemispherical threat of coverage of fine particulates. 1200 cubic miles of ejecta, most of it being fine particulates able to stay suspended in the atmosphere, will be the most likely hazard to deal with.

However, the caldera is only one factor of many to consider, and given that most of the others are relatively so low in occurence and effect in that region, especially the most frequent sort, I concluded SE Oregon would be a relatively safe, if not inconvenient, haven.

#161479 - 01/05/09 10:54 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...it's been 360,000 years since it's last eruption..."

I wonder who marked the calendar back then???

#161499 - 01/06/09 12:25 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: JohnE]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: JohnE
Perception of safety is a funny thing.

I was down in Panama a few years ago,couple of weeks post invasion, working as a photographer. My traveling companions and I were doing a tour around Panama City, talking to residents, seeing the damages up close etc.

At one point, we came across a group of folks who were basically living on the sidewalk of an apt building, the building itself had been shelled so badly it was no longer safe to be in. Huge holes in the walls, no utilities. We stopped and spoke to these folks for a while, heard their stories, I took some photographs. When we got ready to leave, they all asked us where we were going, when we told them our next destination, they implored us to not go there, it wasn't safe for anyone to go to that part of town they claimed. So we asked about going back the way we'd come, no, no, don't do that either, it's not safe there either. Apparently the only safe place for 3 American journalists to be was right there with them.

I'm still struck by how those folks kept up their own sense of what safety means, to them it meant staying in the shadow of their former homes, to us it meant not knowing where the unsafe places for us to be were in advance. We left them there, made our way to the "unsafe" parts of the city and back to our hotel that night unscathed.

It's a funny thing, perception.

JohnE

I assume you mean Dec 1989 / Jan 1990. The local folks may have meant safe for them for you to stay not for you. I noticed once the "Dignity Battalions" were reduced, The local populace figured out bombs and artillery were NOT falling where the Americans WERE standing. Go figure, but they may have been covering their own butts.

RIP OBG

#161511 - 01/06/09 01:20 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

When I was in Panama City (mid-60's), the DingBats didn't exist. The "LaGuardia National" were the army/police/everything. Most drove around in battleship grey '57 Chevy P/U's with tin "camper shells" over the bed, open ended. Inside were Browning M1919's pointing out the rear. I was there 18 months, they had about two coups during that time, so there was a lot of .30 cal flying around. When that went on, there was no safe place outside of the Canal Zone...

#161516 - 01/06/09 02:01 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
When I was in Panama City (mid-60's), the DingBats didn't exist. The "LaGuardia National" were the army/police/everything. Most drove around in battleship grey '57 Chevy P/U's with tin "camper shells" over the bed, open ended. Inside were Browning M1919's pointing out the rear. I was there 18 months, they had about two coups during that time, so there was a lot of .30 cal flying around. When that went on, there was no safe place outside of the Canal Zone...

The "DingBats" were real good at being a pain in the donkey. (Mostly abusing their own countrymen.) Oddly, one well placed 7.62 NATO round in the group tended to deflate the machismo. Amazing how folks don't want to stand around when the pink and grey mist starts falling.

And that gentlemen, is where the signature line came from.

RIP OBG

#161520 - 01/06/09 02:27 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...were real good at being a pain in the donkey. (Mostly abusing their own countrymen.) Oddly, one well placed 7.62 NATO round in the group tended to deflate the machismo..."

Sounds just like the LGN...

#161536 - 01/06/09 03:48 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Was the LGN official or just a bunch of dirt bags somebody organized?

RIP OBG

#161538 - 01/06/09 03:51 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I think I deciphered what you wrote Desperado, but no, it wasn't about the local folks feeling safer when we were there. The shooting was pretty much over by then, although there was a grenade attack that occurred while we were there.

My point was that the folks there in Panama City had a perception of safety that was incongruent with the reality of the situation, they weren't any "safer" camping out near what remained of their homes than they would have been elsewhere. Given that many of the buildings were near ready to collapse, one could make the argument that they would have been safer in leaving. But they, like people everywhere, were clinging to a notion of safety in familiarity.

Much like those of us who live in California live pretty much in denial about earthquakes and those who live in hurricane zones do about storms. Better the disaster we know than the one we don't.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.