Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161488 - 01/05/09 11:10 PM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...clean stainless steel thermoses..."

Clean a thermos? Why in the world would I do that? Once it gets a nice patina of coffee in it, you can just add hot water and have a semi-decent cup! laugh laugh laugh

#161491 - 01/05/09 11:14 PM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Google Nissan Stainless. I first learned of them from a gent that does equine fertilization. They also make the insulated containers he uses for business. (make sure you drink from the right thermos with him)

Have had REALLY good luck from them.

RIP OBG

#161492 - 01/05/09 11:17 PM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...clean stainless steel thermoses..."

Clean a thermos? Why in the world would I do that? Once it gets a nice patina of coffee in it, you can just add hot water and have a semi-decent cup! laugh laugh laugh

Why do you think I was so surprised by discovering that? After ten years I bought a new one and that was printed on a slip of paper in it.

#161496 - 01/06/09 12:10 AM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: scafool

and what is the plural for thermos?

Thermi????

RIP OBG

#161497 - 01/06/09 12:14 AM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"thermos's"???

#161501 - 01/06/09 12:39 AM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: Rodion]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Plural for thermos is: Thermoses

You really can't go wrong with Thermos / Nissan / Stanley brands.

Pre-heat the thermos with boiling water for 5 minutes before putting your hot liquids in,

Also instead of putting on the small plastic cup which comes with the thermos, leave it off and stash it in your kit bag. Take a small (depending on Thermos lid size) piece of polar fleece or equivalent and cut to size so that it fits snugly into the lid of the thermos. Now put the lid on the thermos. If you have a small and thin enough thermos, next take an old (or new) spare wool sock and drop the thermos into the sock.

With the polar fleece in the lid and the wool sock covering the thermos will keep the hot beverages hot for 16-20 hours....and longer if the thermos is rolled into a sweater, pair of pants etc in your kit bag. Often in the warmer months, the coffee or tea is still hot enough to drink the next morning.

A thermos, this size (24 oz) is perfect for this.

#161503 - 01/06/09 12:47 AM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

One more thing...as soon as you remove the stopper, the cooling process starts, the coffee/whatever won't stay as hot as it would without opening it. But not drinking the stuff kinda makes packing it along senseless, huh???

#161506 - 01/06/09 12:54 AM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

On my thermos, there is no need to remove the stopper. It has a very small popup spout (much like some water bottles) that you can pour the liquid out of.

I usually get a good fill of coffee in the am before I start our hike. Bringing the thermos of coffee is for days where we do not stop for a hot lunch or dinner and it is nice to be savor a cup of coffee at anytime without the hassles of carrying a stove or making a fire

#161576 - 01/06/09 02:01 PM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The Stanley, Thermos and Nissan (also made by Thermos now) are all double wall stainless Dewar Flask designs. For a given volume content, they should all function thermally about the same. They all have oustanding warranties, in different shapes and sizes, and have a number of accessories. I believe Stanley makes the only 2 liter version; I couldn't find one that size on the Thermos website. Stanley also uses a pour through stopper so you don't have to completely remove it to use it. They all come in wide mouth versions for food storage, or as OBG notes so you can put big ice cubes into them.

There should be lots of third party shipping options for Israel. I am surprised that Stanley won't ship directly. Seems a bit silly to limit the market so, but that's their business. Anyways, sounds like you found at least one possibility.

#161580 - 01/06/09 02:21 PM Re: Survival Thermos? [Re: benjammin]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Stanley also uses a pour through stopper so you don't have to completely remove it to use it.

These were very popular on construction sites when I was a young grunt on a crew in the 70's. They can take a real beating without being compromised. Many times I witnessed them being dropped to ground level from several stories up. They sustained many dents and scratches and still retained their usefulness.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.