Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#158832 - 12/17/08 11:54 PM A look inside my BOB (pic heavy)
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Well, after much procrastinating I finally took some pics of what's inside my BOB. I expect the first question people will ask is, why do I have so much. The answer is, I'm geared up for long term survival. No, I don't expect to live in the woods forever with what I have. But I do expect what I have to help me out for a decent length of time.

For those who didn't see my earlier pics of my other gear, if you search my post history you should be able to find them.

So, without further ado...

Sven Saw
Leatherman Charge TTi
SOG SEAL Pup
Buck Vangaurd
Gerber folding shovel
binocs
miscellaneous box (knife sharpeners, oil, compass, batteries, mini mag, sewing kit, snare wire, etc, etc.)
$1000 cash (Why would I need cash? You never know.)
para cord
tarp
mosquito net
fishing gill net
duct tape
mirror (upside down so not to catch me in pic)
large bandanas

Katadyn Combi water filter and accessory bag (includes purification tabs)
folding 5 gallon water jug
stainless steel container (Combi screws right on)
bag of toothpaste, soap, and othe hygene items
first aid kit (has much more in it than what you can see)

lighters
firesteel
magnesium bar
fresnel lense
folding magnifier (also a whistle and thermometer)
candles
tinder

telescoping fishing rod and reel
lures
sinkers
hooks
swivels
line

This is my stove and cookware packed up for travel. I took this pic so you can see how it really doesn't take up as much space in my BOB as you might think when you see the next pic.

Lilbug Senior stove
Bugaboo large cookset

#158835 - 12/18/08 12:17 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Nice kit -
Obviously some comments! I don't know how you like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the SOG pup. YMMV, but for me, it's a shelf queen (anyone interested in buying it, lemme know)

I would break at least some of those Franklins into smaller bills. If there's a power outage, cash registers won't work... no point dropping $100 for a can of spam and some bottled water! Plus, if you ever get to the point of using it for tinder, killing a $5 is easier than a $100 (psychologically). Lastly, you might avoid having lots of pocket change as you break bills. Also, maybe toss them in a ziploc to keep them dry.

How do you expect to stay warm? Blanket? Sleeping bag? A tarp and a fistful of dollars?

You've got a lot of redundancy, esp lighters. You ever see how long it takes to empty a Bic? You're probably great with 2, or 3 at the outside. Yeah, they're light and small, but maybe take a look and see if you really need things in paired triplicate.

Maybe add a few bobbers to the fishing kit. You could set up multiple lines (tree branches, etc) and then see if you catch something by the bobber.

What are you carrying all this in?

#158842 - 12/18/08 01:09 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I keep a few small soft body/jig baits in my kit. (e.g. Mr. Twister). It looks like you have room. The are effective baits for pan fish. Some days, they are the only thing biting.

Also, you may want to consider breaking down the hook and sinker kit into a few smaller containers to avoid a dumping disaster. Or get a container with individually opening lids. Take if from a klutz who has dumped one of these before...

I also keep my fishing kit in a separate fanny pack so it is easy to separate and carry from the main BOB. You may have already thought of this...

Love the fire kit. I learned the hard way to put some sort of clear coat like nail polish on the ferro rod. They disintegrate surprisingly quickly when left unprotected. You may have already done this. Can't tell from the picture...

#158851 - 12/18/08 02:28 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: GarlyDog]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Also, you may want to consider breaking down the hook and sinker kit into a few smaller containers to avoid a dumping disaster. Or get a container with individually opening lids. Take if from a klutz who has dumped one of these before...

If you want to use a plastic case with separate lids for the compartments, instead of the one you have for the sinker kit, try a case meant for holding a week of pills broken down by day.

#158854 - 12/18/08 03:28 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The answer is, I'm geared up for long term survival. No, I don't expect to live in the woods forever with what I have. But I do expect what I have to help me out for a decent length of time.

Good kit, you seem to have most things covered but if your intention is to survive in the woods for any length of time i.e. greater than a few weeks, then a more substaintial shelter than a tent will most likely be required i.e. a log cabin. Perhaps a good quality Gransfors Scandinavian Forest axe would be worthwhile. A packet of stainless wood screws could prove to be very useful for long term survival out in the woods.

Also a SW, MW, FM radio may be useful so you know when its safe to come out of the woods. Also some goods maps of the area with a good map case together a quality compass would be probably be required as well.

Some other little luxuries such as food (although I think you mentioned earlier you had a large plastic container full of goodies - hopefully lots of tasty treats full of fats and carbohydrates - it takes a lot of energy to both build a useful long term shelter and for hunting and fishing game etc) and a couple of rolls of toilet paper (doesn't weigh much but makes for some considerable additional comfort).

A UCO candle lantern might be useful for your candles or a solar battery/charger and a quality flashlight such as a Fenix 2AA with a light diffuser attachment for longer term illumination needs.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/18/08 03:28 AM)

#158857 - 12/18/08 03:43 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
No cell phone, no gun, no raingear, no shelter (are you going to live in your car?). What are you going to eat? Besides fish.

I agree with the comment about having small bills instead of ten one hundreds. Ever hear the story about the guy in the public toilet - sitting on the pot he realized there was no toilet paper? He asked the guy in the next stall if he could give him two tens for a twenty...

#158859 - 12/18/08 03:46 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Not sure you have enough fishing weights wink wink or ligthers heheh.

I dunno about you but when camping for several days I only remember lighting a fire once or twice... as long as you keep it going/coals you don't need to light it 3x a day... your kit looks like you have enough to light over 1k fires.

Is this a BOB for what? Getting home? On the run for many months? What's the goal. It looks somewhat like my kit, something a mix between a camping/bob kit combo.

I`m def not knocking your kit because I have redundancy in mine too but I`m just curious why you have SO MANY ligthers and tinder? I would suggest a hot burning tender like trioxane for wet wood too. I've used all of what you have listed (and still plan someday to get my results on the web) and trioxane burns hottest.

A hammock is a good tiny thing to add for sleeping in too smile

#158863 - 12/18/08 04:31 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: MDinana]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Nice kit -
I don't know how you like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the SOG pup. YMMV, but for me, it's a shelf queen (anyone interested in buying it, lemme know)

I got the SOG because it's stainless, and I got the Buck because it's carbon. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

#158865 - 12/18/08 04:47 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Jakam
Unregistered

Nice kit-

I agree with the others, probably A GOOD idea to have small bills instead of the benjamins.

No toilet paper?

#158867 - 12/18/08 04:53 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

plenty of good gear..add a small tent and freeze food and you could camp out for months..which begs the question,where,if any,is the break line between a BOB and a campers pack.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.