The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#161518 - 01/06/09 02:21 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree, that ID is very useful and they even allow for the "NKA" I was looking for wink I'm going with yellow.

#161525 - 01/06/09 02:56 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: DesertFox]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
It only takes a minute to do a blood type in the lab. I could see having listed a rare blood type (Bombay phenotype, etc.) so that it could be called in by EMT and compatible blood possibly (keyword) be on the way before you arrive at the ER.

#161527 - 01/06/09 03:15 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Desperado]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Do you mean a USB drive?

Laptops are becoming more common in ambulances, and ERs have computers, of course. But I'd be a bit hesitant to stick an unknown USB drive into any computer I was accountable for.

However, I could see it being very handy a bit further down the line of medical care, when traveling to faraway lands, or in a disaster, where the commonly used means of access to your medical records by fax, etc., may not be available, or after the records themselves were destroyed in a disaster.

Here's what I really want to know about you in an emergency, which I think is likely to be fairly universal in American EMS and ER systems:

Demographics:
Your full, legal name, and any others you may be known by,
Your age,
Your sex (you might be surprised),
Your permanent home mailing address,
Your home telephone number,
Your date of birth,
Your social security number,
Your insurance carriers and policy numbers (we don't care if you don't have any. We will treat you EXACTLY the same, regardless);
Full emergency contact information for your next of kin.

Medical history:
Any known drug allergies,
Any current or chronic medical conditions or diseases,
Any prescription, OTC, or herbal medicines you currently or regularly take,
Any past hospitalizations, surgeries, or major illnesses,
The full name (with spelling) and contact information of your treating physicians.

The best, most reliable way to present Rx information is to provide the most recent little paper tag most pharmacies give customers, containing the drug name, dosage, and prescribing MD. OTC and herbal medication is also an important part of your history. The Rx bottles themselves work, too. Pills moved to those little daily dose containers are useless to us.

Having all of the other information printed out on a dated paper, in summary form, is a blessing to us, and helps us help you, especially if you have a complex medical history. Your actual physical ID card (driver license, etc) and insurance cards is something we'd like to have, too.

About calling an ambulance:

If you need us, don't wait, especially if you suspect a heart attack or stroke.

If you think you will get seen sooner if you arrive by ambulance, you won't. You will likely get a bed sooner, but not a doctor. If you are suspected by the nurses of "ambulance abuse," your wait may be very long, indeed.

The ambulance is not a taxi. You may not get to choose your hospital. That depends on your condition as determined by the paramedic, hospital status at the moment (neuro coverage, cardiac services, ICU beds, ER patient load, etc.), and the current availability of ambulances.

Your loved one may not be allowed to ride in back with you. If you are allowed to ride up front, please don't chat with the driver; he's busy driving smoothly and safely, monitoring radios, and keeping an eye on what I'm doing in back. Also, we use our lights and sirens to get to the hospital far less often than you might expect, and far less often than we do to initially get to the patient.

Is your address clearly and visibly posted on your residence, preferably with large, reflective numbers?

If there's car parked out front, turning on its hazard flashers helps us find you.

For heaven's sake, please put your pets in another room, turn on the lights inside and outside, and turn off the TV before the ambulance gets there.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (01/06/09 03:26 AM)

#161531 - 01/06/09 03:35 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

Is your address clearly and visibly posted on your residence, preferably with large, reflective numbers?
If there's car parked out front, turning on its hazard flashers helps us find you.
Jeff

There is even a product that can cause your front porch light become a flasher. It has been a while since a customer requested one, I really liked the feature. It only adds one switch to the circuit and can be placed in a closet or elsewhere to prevent accidental activation. FLASHER SWITCH

And the man is correct. PLEASE don't bother the driver. I was shocked how stupid people get when a LEO/EMS/FIRE vehicle with lights and sirens on appears from behind. They either "didn't see you" or just slam on the brakes.

Edited by Desperado (01/06/09 03:37 AM)

RIP OBG

#161532 - 01/06/09 03:37 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Desperado]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Someone needs to market a front porch light with S.O.S. flash mode.

#161568 - 01/06/09 12:22 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Montanero:

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I realize most SF folks tend to be pretty well trained as medics of one sort or another; was that your main gig?

Most of my contact with military medicine has come from working around or cross-training with SAR, SF and Naval medicine and field hospital types, a pretty impressive group.

How were you guys type and cross-matching blood all the way forward, and how far forward did you carry and use blood products? We stand to gain a lot from recent advances in military medicine, so I'm curious, if you happen to have any links handy, or anything.

Personally, I've been waiting for those artificial gas transporting blood products that don't require antigen matching or refrigeration that were just about to come out for, oh, about twenty years now.

Jeff

I was not a medic. The unit medics only carried IVs and focused on keeping the guy alive until the surgical team could get him. In Iraq, the Forward Surgical Teams (FSTs) were going right into the firefight to rescue wounded and could give blood products. I had a friend who took several AK rounds in one leg. He was bleeding out quickly and the firefight was still raging. The FST came right to him in their armored vehicle and gave him 3 liters of blood. He lost his leg but survived. (Side note: He received his prostetic leg at Walter Reed, recovered quickly and was such a pain to the staff they kicked back to the unit. He fought hard and won the ability to deploy back to Iraq with his team.)

I will check with some friends about links or info. Our medics were awesome, no doubt. I have let them cut on me before without hesitation. The SF medical course (18D course or 300F1 for those who were in) is the standard for all special operations medical personnel, regardless of branch. It is academically the most demanding course in the services. It includes a tremendous amount of hands on, and even a residency requirement.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.