Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161329 - 01/04/09 08:38 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Russ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Russ
What about those rare souls among us who have no medical conditions? Why not have a med alert that says the attached body is good to go?

You still might want your emergency contact notified if you are hurt, and there are organ donor IDs out there.

Originally Posted By: Russ
(also: Why don't posters put URLs in hotlinks by using the tools on the reply page, rather than posting a link address as text we need to cut and paste?)

No excuse, I just keep forgetting to do it. I also often post using handwriting recognition on a tablet, so some tasks are a bit of a chore. Sorry if that's irritating to you.

Jeff

#161330 - 01/04/09 08:45 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
. . . You have to hope that someone will look thru your wallet/purse soon after treatment starts tho...

Correct. Eventually. someone develops a bit of curiosity, usually the poor clerk responsible for filling out all that billing paperwork. But emergency, initial and lifesaving or stabilizing interventions usually come first. Or so I'd hope.

Jeff

#161333 - 01/04/09 08:57 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
...the best place to carry medical ID is a medic alert type bracelet worn on your LEFT Wrist. Bonus points if you can guess why.

Jeff

I had never thought about it and just assumed it was so you would not snag and tear it of when working, the same reason my watch goes on my left wrist.
Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

#161334 - 01/04/09 09:08 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Desperado]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Desperado
LEFT Wrist. Bonus points if you can guess why.

Jeff

That is the wrist that can be reached thru the window if you are trapped in the driver's seat of a vehicle?

I'll take a guess. If you are in a stretcher in an ambulance, the paramedic is usually seated and working on your left side and it is easier to reach your left wrist.

#161336 - 01/04/09 09:22 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: scafool]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

But your assumption was a very good one.

#161338 - 01/04/09 09:23 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Congratulations! We have a winner!

#161342 - 01/04/09 09:54 PM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: gonewiththewind]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Montanero:

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I realize most SF folks tend to be pretty well trained as medics of one sort or another; was that your main gig?

Most of my contact with military medicine has come from working around or cross-training with SAR, SF and Naval medicine and field hospital types, a pretty impressive group.

How were you guys type and cross-matching blood all the way forward, and how far forward did you carry and use blood products? We stand to gain a lot from recent advances in military medicine, so I'm curious, if you happen to have any links handy, or anything.

Personally, I've been waiting for those artificial gas transporting blood products that don't require antigen matching or refrigeration that were just about to come out for, oh, about twenty years now.

Jeff

#161373 - 01/05/09 03:17 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
When ever I am out and not carrying my wallet, like on a run or bike ride or other activity, I use a Road ID

I have two of them. Both red bands for my ankle. I have my name, city/State, wifes name and cell number, my conditions that are medically important, and blood type.

I am not affiliated with RoadID but every one of my training partners also uses one when training and it absolutely has come in handy. Since we are usually wearing shorts or bike tights its extremely noticeable on the ankle. I realize when wearing pants its not feasible so in 2009 I am looking at the yellow wrist band.

#161514 - 01/06/09 01:36 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: comms]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: comms
When ever I am out and not carrying my wallet, like on a run or bike ride or other activity, I use a Road ID

That looks like a very smart idea. That red or yellow band on a wrist or ankle would be really noticeable. I never carry ID on my bike, and only have a yellow label with emergency info inside my helmet, which is pretty weak compared to what you're doing. I need to upgrade like you.

Jeff

#161517 - 01/06/09 02:11 AM Re: blood type on ID's [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: comms

That looks like a very smart idea. That red or yellow band on a wrist or ankle would be really noticeable. I never carry ID on my bike, and only have a yellow label with emergency info inside my helmet, which is pretty weak compared to what you're doing. I need to upgrade like you.

Jeff

Jeff,

I cannot find it now, but there is a zipper pull ID out there for motorcyclist. It folds like the keychain wallet that wraps around the unused keys.

Obviously it would work for anyone, but I originally found it in a M/C magazine.
This is where I got the USB idea that I made for my family. It has all the basics and medical info on PDF on it for every family member. That way if someone is missing theirs we can still get info from another's.

Do you think EMS or the Hospital would look over it if they found one of us alone and incapacitated? It's marked with the EMT Star. (can't remember the name)

RIP OBG

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.