Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161169 - 01/03/09 11:26 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I've only scanned the responses to your post so I may be repeating what someone else already said but here is my advice:

1. Keep a high-quality multitool on you at all times.

2. Learn to improvise. An urban environment is filled with stuff that can be turned nto shelter, carry water or lit on fire. During your daily travels look around and imagine what you could do with the stuff you see around you. Wildman has a good thread on doing this from several years ago.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#161180 - 01/04/09 12:22 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

Have you thought about an EDC for when you shower? I'd imagine storing an EDC for in-shower use might have logistical complexities, but there's a time and place where you really don't have many (practical) places to store an EDC kit.

We solved that problem weeks ago: the DRPSK subcutaneous implant-gotta choose a place on your body that will reach your mouth so that you can gnaw through the skin to get to it. Might want to call it the coyote option...

#161206 - 01/04/09 02:34 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: nursemike]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
I actually thought through the shower scenario. Getting out of the house will be a problem due to broken glass, but once out, I'm fine. Even if the house and garage burn to the ground, all the emergency gear will be safe and available. Experience says finding shoes in the bathroom after a quake will be tough, so towels wrapped around feet may have to do.

Never occurred to me to loot. Only to have enough cash and a planned list of things to buy in the immediate aftermath. Yes, things will disappear fast, but my goal would to be one of the first in the nearest store and to get all I need. Once stores are stripped that opportunity is gone. Having thought through this scenario increases the probability of success.

I don't expect the phone to work, but experience with Katrina and Ike is that text messaging will work even when voice is overloaded, assuming the phone system is working at all.

Standing in the rain in business clothes with nothing but what is in my pockets, would suck, but based on this discussion I'll be better prepared. I'm going work at finding some kind of EDC shelter for the rainy season. Trash bag, Heat Sheet, something. I'll have a map marked with the homes and businesses of my friends. And I'll be mentally prepared to purchase the needfuls ASAP.

Somehow I just don't have the multitool gene. I have carried them, but never for long because I never really found them useful. I can't stand to be without a knife, though. I'm sure that's a separate thread.

#161228 - 01/04/09 04:50 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It seems to me that when you're standing on the street after an earthquake has done the max in the bay area, your EDC is very much something to discuss; it may be all you have.

#161246 - 01/04/09 01:55 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Grahund
Standing in the rain in business clothes with nothing but what is in my pockets, would suck, but based on this discussion I'll be better prepared. I'm going work at finding some kind of EDC shelter for the rainy season. Trash bag, Heat Sheet, something.

The cheap (under $1.50) disposable ponchos will fold smaller than a trash bag and can easily fit a small coat pocket, inside a briefcase or a EDC pack. IMHO, they are far better than a trash bag for weather protection or emergency shelter.

#161249 - 01/04/09 02:43 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Grahund
...So what would you folks carry to prepare for a huge, regional, urban/suburban disaster that hits in seconds without warning?

A healthy supply of mindfulness and situational awareness.

Be careful with trying to prepare for every contingency, it'll drive you nuts (been there, still do that).

Pick the most likely scenarios.
Prep to cover that.
Have a back up plan.
Stay flexible.
Don't panic.

That should cover most things.

#161251 - 01/04/09 03:05 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: samhain]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. Living in SOCAL but not in LA, I prepare for the big one to strike somewhere else. We will still feel big quakes from elsewhere, but they shouldn't be knocking down buildings. That said, our water supply comes from up there. Roads to here cross the faults.

#161254 - 01/04/09 03:29 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Stu]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
The thin plastic ponchos, while larger, are weaker than a good trash
bag. In high winds only the trash bag will survive.

#161282 - 01/04/09 05:20 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: clearwater]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
in really nasty weather, I've been know to wear a disposable poncho under the outer layer of my clothes to protect the poncho.
Not the most ideal way to wear them, but it protects them from the wind.

#161851 - 01/08/09 02:11 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Stu]
Jakam
Unregistered

Grahund-
I'm near you in the San Fran area, my office is in Nob Hill but my home is in the East Bay (I needed somewhere to keep the motorhome, the 150 gallons of water, and the various other preparedness items, along with all my other junk!). So for me, getting trapped in the City has me thinking of a few responses-

1) I can hole up in my office until the smoke clears, if the building has survived. If it hasn't, I have a contingency plan for alternate housing and an evac plan as a worst case scenario. Think open water (hint).

2) I try to plan for every eventuality, but there is an inherent risk in being in SF from a population density perspective. That being said, who you know will make a difference in how you make out, as stated above.

Always cracks me up when someone responds to those of us living in California that we should "move"- I love this state, and the risk of calamity is everywhere.
When I lived in North Carolina, our house was ravaged by Hurricane Gloria. When I lived in Ohio, we had 96 hours of a below zero no power blizzard in '78. Hawaii- Iniki hit. Tucson-the Rillito overflowed it's banks, Mt. Lemmon burned up, and killer bees ate my dog. New Mexico- ice, fires, plague carrying Ebert's squirrels, avian flu carrying crows. And hot chile. Really hot chile. Danger lurks everywhere.

And so do geese- beware.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.