The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#160972 - 01/03/09 03:53 AM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Chris:

Thanks for the info on capsizing. Is the lifeboat school...specifically rolling the boat open to public? I would try something like this, but only once....

#161029 - 01/03/09 10:56 AM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
No, it's not open to the public,,,,,and no, you don't want that thrill because you won't necessarily be breathing afterwards!!

A Surfman's job and training is not for thrills, or the foolhardy.

#161086 - 01/03/09 03:49 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: wildman800]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Thanks Wildman.

Please note I said that "I would like to try this" Would and could are two different realms. I would like the chance to try something like that, but could I actually do it if ever given the chance...thats completely different!!

#161111 - 01/03/09 05:37 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: wildman800]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: wildman800
No, it's not open to the public,,,,,and no, you don't want that thrill because you won't necessarily be breathing afterwards!!

A Surfman's job and training is not for thrills, or the foolhardy.

Sons #1&2 were looking at the USCG until they saw a special on the newest MLB's and the things trainee's got through in school. Both are now looking at USAF.

I was about to yak just watching, I cannot fathom (ha how about that turn of phrase) enduring that pounding at the mouth of the Columbia (i think).

RIP OBG

#161120 - 01/03/09 06:31 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: Desperado]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The older 36' MLBs had a forward cockpit in the bow for a crewman to pass lines and use grappling hooks . It was aptly named 'the glory hole' and an old initiation was sitting in it going over the Bar and getting a real 'watering down' party now done with 3.2 beer.
My misadventeure happened when one engine died with a cracked head just as I was going into the bar. We fell off heading and I was reversing engine and spinning helm when the equivelent of wet cement at speed hit us. You are in a wet suit, Bell motorcycle helmet, MK 1 lifejacket and survival belt with knife etc.You are at least buckled in with 3" aircraft grade webbing. You can't move, if you have any air in your lungs you're lucky and it's totally dark and cold.It's seems to last an eternity, but you pop up ( hopefully) in a matter of seconds as the boat self rights.
My 44' did, though the radar array was shorn off, the safety cage behind my seat was twisted like a DNA helix and my swimmer was in shock with a broken collarbone. My engineman had something crack his helmet but was conscious and I had what turned out to be a hairline skull fracture.
Then we finished the SAR by towing the disabled fishing boat out beyond the bay and wait for a helciopter medivac from Astoria and our sister MLB to come out.
Somebody decided a QM really belonged on cutters and not MLBs and I got transferred to a icebreaker and a southpat. Then somebody decided Northwest Lifeboat coxswains should be designated 'surfmen' with a pin, an a insult to our mates on equally dangerous coastlines elsewhere.
So, months later I'm digging on whales and icebergs when the 'Old Man' hands me my surfman pin. We weren't big on formal ship's assemblies, given the weather and all. He pins it on me, we exchange salutes and a handshake. Then he kind of looked deep into my eys. 'Kav, promise me you won't try any MLB stunts with my cutter,o.k.?'

I've been slowly building a R/C U-boat for our local, man made lake.I figure I can sit at the landing, drinking beer and eating calamari while terrorizing the local electric boat Ancient Mariners.
It's much safer.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/03/09 06:37 PM)

#161123 - 01/03/09 06:47 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not an actual ride on one of their boats, but you can contact their PAO (I don't have the link handy, but if you do some googling you will find it). I had an appointment set up for a tour of their facility and a boat, had to cancel due to my bum shoulder...

#161141 - 01/03/09 08:43 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OBG, you were smart.
Anybody who shows up at a CG station with a bum shoulder, but standing upright longer than 5 minutes is going to get a recruiting pitch.

#161148 - 01/03/09 09:08 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...get a recruiting pitch..."

Please tell me that the Coasties are not in such bad shape that they would want an old bald guy, with a bum back, bum shoulder, bum ears, who can get seasick pretty easy!!!

#161149 - 01/03/09 09:15 PM Re: Capsized Boat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I lost the name and e-mail address of the PAO, but here is the link for the [url=mailto:D13-SG-NMLBSInstructors@uscg.mil]instructors[/url] at the USCG motor lifeboat school in WA.

And if you want to see what they do, go here for some videos...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.