The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160943 - 01/02/09 10:34 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Susan]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Shoes are an issue. I choose shoes I can wear all day, but walking home after the Big One would be daunting. I should carry blister pads anyway as I do sometimes need them in non-emergency situations.

TheSock mentioned maps. That's something I haven't considered. I have maps in the EK, but not in my pocket. I do tend to explore rather than always driving the same route from A to B, so I know my way around pretty well. Still, a map would be nice. Trouble is a map with any detail would be too big to EDC. That might be one of the things I buy when needed.

Sue is right, I can't be fully prepared. It is a matter of balancing risks and rewards. I like where I live, so I do what I can to be prepared and hope I have some luck when the Big One happens. For sure transportation will be a nightmare for days or even weeks afterwards. If I'm near home I most likely will be ok.

One thing I need to think more about is "living off the land" so to speak. As scafool points out, at least in the immediate aftermath there will be lots of resources available. Having a pre-planned "shopping list" might be a good idea. That I can EDC.

#160946 - 01/02/09 10:38 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Having a pre-planned "shopping list" might be a good idea..."

Keep in mind that in times like those, badguys go "shopping" too, so you might have to be badder then they are...

#160947 - 01/02/09 10:42 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Susan
There's no way you're going to live in the SF area, have the Big One hit, and be fully prepared. Personally, I would move.

Even if you were in the area with your undamaged vehicle, you won't be going anywhere. Nothing will be going in or out of there by ground for quite a while. I can't even visualize feeding, watering and medicating (by air) 16,000 people per square mile (well, the survivors, anyway).

Sue

Good call.

#160948 - 01/02/09 10:43 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Having a pre-planned "shopping list" might be a good idea..."

Keep in mind that in times like those, badguys go "shopping" too, so you might have to be badder then they are...

You gotta be first in line too or you are not getting the things on top your list that EVERYONE will want.

Why not buy your items now? (Not you OBG)

#160950 - 01/02/09 10:50 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you are going to "live off the land" in the aftermath of an urban instant disaster, what is on your shopping list?

Shelter: garbage bags are good and readily available.
Water: bottled water also readily available in the immediate aftermath. Not so much even a few hours later.
Food: Jerky, power bars, candy bars are also available in the immediate aftermath and won't last long.
Maps are surprisingly hard to find, at least in my experience.
Baby wipes are good for hygiene. Sunscreen, bug juice, lip balm.

#160951 - 01/02/09 11:29 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Grahund
Shoes are an issue. I choose shoes I can wear all day, but walking home after the Big One would be daunting. I should carry blister pads anyway as I do sometimes need them in non-emergency situations.

TheSock mentioned maps. That's something I haven't considered. I have maps in the EK, but not in my pocket. I do tend to explore rather than always driving the same route from A to B, so I know my way around pretty well. Still, a map would be nice. Trouble is a map with any detail would be too big to EDC. That might be one of the things I buy when needed.

A second pair of shoes and/or clothes in a gym bag won't be out of place as many people change and go to the gym before or after work.

Have a PDA/Phone/PDAhone? I store electronic maps on mine as well as my handheld gps fits in my laptop bag during the week, it runs on a set of eneloop AA's so its always ready and I've ran over 16 hours on one set so far.

#160953 - 01/02/09 11:54 PM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Also for those who have maps, keep them up to date. Earlier this afternoon, I had to go a business office and did the google map and paper map check. Both maps look the same so I printed the Google map as it has directions and off I go.

I get close, oh so close to where I need to be....but the roads have changed. I can see the building I need to get on the other side of a divided highway. Sizing up the traffic screaming by at maniacal speeds, there is no way I was going to park the car then make a mad run across that highway....no matter how good of shape I am in.

Pulled over then looked at the Google map I printed with directions on it and the paper map I always carry and double checked, yes once again they are the same, but the paper map is from 2007.

Long story short, I finally get to where I need to go after 10 minutes of no left turns allowed here, no right turns allowed here etc.

On the way home, I had to stop for gas anyway so I picked up a new map and....lo and behold, it shows the new changes and several others closer to home that I was not aware of.

Had this been in a more difficult situation, having outdated maps would of only added to the complications....

#160955 - 01/03/09 12:00 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

So what would you folks carry to prepare for a huge, regional, urban/suburban disaster that hits in seconds without warning?

Have you thought about an EDC for when you shower? I'd imagine storing an EDC for in-shower use might have logistical complexities, but there's a time and place where you really don't have many (practical) places to store an EDC kit.

#160956 - 01/03/09 12:01 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: Grahund]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I wouldn't plan on driving home, even if your car survives the initial quake damage. The next time you commute, count the number of overpasses, underpasses, culverts, etc. that you pass. Then consider the likelihood of pavement breaks, collapses and upheavals, abandoned cars, debris in roadways, etc, that is likely to occur.

Is it possible possible for you to stash a cheap, used mountain bike at work, and use that to get home? Is there a friend's or co-worker's home nearby, and would they allow you to store a few essentials and stay there if necessary? Maybe you could pitch your employer to allow you to develop a Company Emergency Preparedness Plan, so you could make better arrangements for not only yourself but the whole team?

Jeff

#160958 - 01/03/09 12:20 AM Re: Instant Disaster [Re: ironraven]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: ironraven
That one-in-twenty time is the time you lose. *shrugs* Not really, but odds are the odds aren't that bad as you think they are. THere are things you can't prep for, and times you'll be caught with your pants down. All you can do then is roll and come up on your feet as best you can.

Edit: My odd, MUST have with item: work gloves.

Yup, and you might want them work gloves to be rubber too. You never know what you might have to handle.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.