Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#160310 - 12/28/08 06:57 PM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
WWII British MK-VII.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#160317 - 12/28/08 09:11 PM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: username_5]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Last night I posted that, today I would provide some photos of my shoulder bag and contents, so here it is. Keep in mind that the shoulder bag is only used perhaps 10% of the time and the gear seen in the photos is the minimum that I carry. The everyday small backpack I usually carry contains much more then shown here.

My shoulder bag is a bit older and has a slightly different design then the pic I posted last night. The bag is empty in this photo.

There are a number of internal pockets. Including a handy zippered pocket in the flap

As I stated above, this is a minimal carry load.

In the next photo below
From top row left to right:

Safety glasses ( I have very limited vision in one eye as it is and cannot afford
to loose vision in the other good eye... Also the safety glasses are kept in a case that is not shown here.
A few very basic 1st aid supplies. There is some hand sanitizer, chap stick and anti-biotic cream in the underside of the package.
Some wet ones, diaper wipes and examination gloves

Middle row and left to right:
Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Immodium, Anti-histamine pills
Extra pair of socks
MP3/ AM/FM radio / USB file storage. There is an extra Eneloop battery to the left that is barely visible.
Extra boot laces
Various coins are in the film container
Extra shoe laces. I walk to and from work (9 miles round trip) and breaking a boot or shoe lace along the way and not having a spare is very inconvenient...
Swiss army knife
Box cutter knfe
Bic Lighter
Flexible camera tripod and extra camera lenses....I don't go anywhere without my camera

Bottom row left to right:
Paper towels/napkins in a plastic zip bag
Pen and notebook
Crackberry
Extra AAA batteries
Mini-maglite
Small keychain LED.

Next 5 photos:
All the gear easily fits in the bag, in these photos the gear is pulled up slighly up or out of the pockets so it is easier to see.

With all the gear in the pockets and a water bottle, there is still some room to spare.

With top flap buckled into place, it makes for an easy carry

#160327 - 12/28/08 11:41 PM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: username_5]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I prefer to have my goodies attached to me as much as possible. That or course means belt pouches, and I usually wear "cargo" pants (currently 5.11's, which I really like) so I can put the rest of my "stuff" in the pockets. No one can snatch and run with it, I can't set it down someplace and then forget and walk away from it. Heaven help me if I ever fall in deep water...

#160336 - 12/29/08 02:02 AM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Speaking of 5.11 gear, LA Police Gear is having a 5.11 clearance sale at the moment, I picked up an extra uniform shirt and pants for about 1/2 their normal cost a couple of weeks ago.

Might be worth checking out if you like their stuff.

L.A. Quartermaster also has pretty decent prices on 5.11 gear as any LAPD officer can attest to.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#160343 - 12/29/08 02:47 AM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I doubt I will go back to just a shoulder bag anymore. If I can't drag it behind me, then I will likely go to a backpack style next. Actually, the Swiss Army bag I used to tote with a shoulder strap converts to a backpack as well, so I could just use it again. I can tell ya, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

#160347 - 12/29/08 02:55 AM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: Erik_B]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Erik..i was thinking of a musette bag.my Dad had one and it was a prized item he would not let me fool around with.but i try and avoid the military look so i went with hunting gear..

#160356 - 12/29/08 04:09 AM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Sherpadog,

I had originally purchased that bag, but I was a bit uncomfortable walking around with it on my shoulder. Not because of the way it's made, I just felt like I was carrying a woman's purse. I know, I know, it's stupid and I shouldn't be caring about that, but in the end I took it back to Mountain Equipment Coop.

I decided to get a larger bag, the "Carry-On" model. It felt more manly, probably because of it's size. I like it a lot, you can fit a day or two's worth of clothing and equipment for when you travel. It can convert into a backpack or a messenger bag. It also has a padded laptop sleeve, multiple compartments (some hidden)... Really nice! whistle

I walk 15 minutes to work, and the Carry-On bag always comes with me, messenger bag style. I carry my letter-size planner in it, some snacks, sunglasses, hat, gloves, Leatherman Juice S2, etc. Works fine for me.

#160369 - 12/29/08 12:01 PM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: username_5]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I carry an Eagle Creek "Guide" bag frequently, and I also have a really nice custom-designed bag that we gave out as a holiday present here at work. It was originally a bag used by a famous DJ to carry his laptop and stuff to gigs, but it turns out to be a near-perfect emergency bag that I keep in the car.

The Eagle Creek bag is really nifty, "manly" enough that I don't get any poop for carrying it. We actually have 2 of them, my wife has one because she hates "dorky" diaper bags.

When I'm home I'll post pix.

#160465 - 12/30/08 02:15 AM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: username_5]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Here's my EDC/Get Home bag

I'll show you the contents later, maybe, if you're good. wink

#160805 - 01/01/09 07:18 PM Re: man purses (murses) [Re: username_5]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I have a smallish Eagle Creek bag that can be carried as shoulder-bag or waist-pack. I don't call it a "man bag" or a "murse" or any such thing because that makes it sound even gayer. I like the Eagle Creek one because its style is not effeminate with being overly-macho (cf the Maxpedition stuff). Also it doesn't look too expensive.

It has two main compartments. I keep one mostly free for utility use. The other half has a small first-aid kit, an emergency bivvy, headlamp, monocular, N95 mask, paracord and various other preparedness stuff.

I also have fairly full pockets, and I don't take the bag everywhere so I don't consider it EDC. It's not so much that I care what others think as it not being convenient.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.