Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160677 - 12/31/08 01:45 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: Kris]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I am certain of two things, your efforts will be more appreciated elsewhere and the chief's days are numbered.

In the meanwhile, find satisfaction in knowing that you have some integrity and backbone enough to do what you know is right, even if it means walking away for now.

#160682 - 12/31/08 02:12 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't know enough about how VFD's work, but usually when someone walks out on a position like this others are thinking the same thoughts. One door closes and another opens. No longer your problem. Smile and have a Happy New year.

#160690 - 12/31/08 02:56 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Bummer, 'specially at this time of the year. The good thing is that trained, experienced fireguys are in demand everywhere. So I am sure that a new job is waiting for you out there...

#160696 - 12/31/08 03:19 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: benjammin]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I am certain of two things, your efforts will be more appreciated elsewhere and the chief's days are numbered.

In the meanwhile, find satisfaction in knowing that you have some integrity and backbone enough to do what you know is right, even if it means walking away for now.

+ a big one, there.

#160701 - 12/31/08 03:42 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: UncleGoo]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm sorry to hear that Martin. A friend of mine last year quit his local volunteer fire fighter's unit for similar reasons and differences of opinion. Maybe the Chief will move on, or you will - its hard to lose anyone who is willing and skilled to respond to fight fires and medical emergencies.

Speaking of which, if you're looking for closure or another opinion on quitting the volunteer fire fighting profession, I read a really interesting book by an ex-fire fighter from Newfoundland, who writes a very accessible and moving account of what its like to be on call and respond to fires and motor vehicle accidents, every day for 6-7 years. In his case, his reasons were self-preservation, a form of post-traumatic stress, no personality conflicts - but anyone who has been in the line of duty for a while might recognize his feelings and views on the work. I'm not sure how big the catalog of real-world accounts on fire fighting is, its also pretty good for folks who want one view of the life.

Russell Wangersky, Burning Down the House, ISBN-10: 0887623298. You might need to get it from amazon.ca, but its very cheap there - http://www.amazon.ca/Burning-Down-House-...126&sr=8-1.

#160709 - 12/31/08 04:46 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: NightHiker]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Marduk is right when he mentioned a time when something you invested in and nurtured becomes intolerable. Unfortunately the Peter Principle is real and it can often create poison. Alas, in the end, it is usually beyond our control when the principle trumps dedication and accomplishment. You must eventually choose the path that leads you away from the ever maddening frustration. You chose well. Difficult...but well.

Take heart in the fact that for years you have coworkers, people you helped, and others in the community who appreciate very much the hard work and dedication. Don't let a lone idiot make you dance. Dance because you want to. We're all the better for it.

#160714 - 12/31/08 05:09 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: yeti]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
martinfocazio out of service - lack of respect for management.

I do some volunteering with emergency management and been at it for about 5 years now. I have been lucky to work with people that say thank you alot, and even go out of there way to show it ( dinners, little perks, etc ), and actually know what they are doing.

If I were you, I wouldn't go back to any volunteering for at least a month or two. Take time to do things you haven't had time to do, or you've put off.

Maybe this will be the thing that pushes the rest of the members of your department over the edge. Either to leave, or to force a change.

Not much you can do now, you seemed to have been paddling up river. Just don't think that you are a quitter. You just finally realized what you probably should have done 2 years ago. Sometimes you have to quit to get ahead.

Good luck! You'll be back, just some place better, wherever that may be.

P.S. If you still work in NYC (I think you did), consider using your expertise to lead eager volunteers. C.E.R.T. is active in NYC, and everyone knows that NYC needs more volunteers.

#160717 - 12/31/08 05:24 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: ki4buc]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
...you seemed to have been paddling up river. Just don't think that you are a quitter.

one definition of 'crazy' is performing the same behavior over and over again expecting a different outcome.

sounds to me like you stopped being crazy.

i too believe you should step back for a while and let the next door open for you - you'll know it when it does.

#160719 - 12/31/08 05:35 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: ki4buc]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

P.S. If you still work in NYC (I think you did), consider using your expertise to lead eager volunteers. C.E.R.T. is active in NYC, and everyone knows that NYC needs more volunteers.

Yep. Still in NYC. I'm going to relax a bit, and if (ok when) I get back into it, it will be different. I got an email from the Township Board of Supervisors - they want me to be the director of the township Emergency Management Agency - and the EMA director from the next township over (another ex of my old station) - wants to work with me, so already changes are afoot.

#160721 - 12/31/08 06:23 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I sense people talking about you behind your back smile Is that a door opening?

Happy New Year!!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.