The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160199 - 12/27/08 09:24 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Brangdon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Besides Zippo and Ronson fuel, what other fuels will work in a pinch? Alcohol? Kerosene?

#160200 - 12/27/08 09:26 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Russ]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
Brunton Helios beat a zippo hands down.

#160203 - 12/27/08 09:37 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Besides Zippo and Ronson fuel, what other fuels will work in a pinch? Alcohol? Kerosene?

... Gasoline, carb cleaner, aviation gas, jet fuel (basically really clean kerosene). If it's wet and will burn, it works.

RIP OBG

#160207 - 12/27/08 09:53 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Desperado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Desperado

... Gasoline, carb cleaner, aviation gas, jet fuel (basically really clean kerosene). If it's wet and will burn, it works.
and that ladies and gents is why a Zippo makes a good piece of survival gear for your kit. You don't need to have the fuel in it, but definitely have a lighter.

#160350 - 12/29/08 03:19 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Markok765]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
take 60 seconds. I do it between pullup sets in the basement, and I don't overfill it. it's worth it.

#160353 - 12/29/08 03:39 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Russ]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I think zippos are a neat and durable design, but absolutely horrible for survival use. Even if it's fully filled with fluid, it will evaporate in a matter of days whether you use it or not. For the same space and weight you can fit lighters, matches, and tinder, all of which have a shelf life of years and can be rationed as much as you need to. Carrying spare fluid is bulky and heavy compared to the alternatives, and there is always the chance of it spilling. There are many good options for survival firestarting(I prefer a bic or butane lighter as primary, with a firesteel, tinder, and storm matches as backup), but I would put Zippos at the very bottom of the list. I would sooner pack my bow-drill set.

#160404 - 12/29/08 07:33 PM Re: Zippo [Re: urbansurvivalist]
Russ Offline
Geezer

While I tend to agree that one of the disposable lighters such as Bic are probably better for a survival kit, Zippo lighters can function on many different fuels which makes them an asset over the long haul.

I have Bic lighters in various kits and keep long, flexible neck lighter in one specific kit. The lighter I keep around the house for candles is a long neck Scripto because it can reach down into a candle to light a wick that would be tough to light with a match or a Bic. Everything has its place and so I keep a near new and dry Zippo as a contingency. All I need to do is add fuel which should be easy to find.

#160492 - 12/30/08 06:24 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Markok765]
CDVXF7 Offline

The one I want to get just to have is the heavy version. From Zippo's website: "A distinctive bottom stamp authenticates these chrome and solid brass lighters as heavy walled Armor™. These Armor™ cases are about 1.5 times as thick as a standard brass case."

Its hard to give up the one I have had for 20 yrs. I swore to my girlfriend who gave it to me that it would save my life someday. Its been to Europe and on many treks in the Sierras. Nostalgic as it is, I always follow the rule of more than one source of fire.

#160689 - 12/31/08 02:50 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Russ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka

I found alcohol to be the one thing that mine would not burn.
I suspect the remains of the regular fuel prevents it from going up the wick, but I was able to light an alcohol (denatured alcohol, methanol, fondue fuel) soaked rag by using the lighter as a sparker.
Also, rubbing alcohol has too much water in it to burn well.
I have also found the lighter would burn 100% deet insect repellant (smokey) and oil of cloves from a first aid kit (don't ask why).

#160703 - 12/31/08 03:48 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Markok765]
neurotik Offline
Geek
Stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
If you carry a Zippo around as a normal course of action then you may as well consider it a piece of your survival gear. I personally do carry a Zippo most days but always have a backup Bic in the kit. Another nice thing about a classic Zippo is that, when flying, they are allowed on your person or Carry-on luggage filled with fluid whereas compressed gas lighters are not.

That said there are a number of options to keep your Zippo more reliable. As has been said before; always keep a spare flint under the flap at the bottom of the lighter. (some Zippo's have a hole just for placing a flint)

Zippo offers a container just for the purpose of holding spare flint and fluid which would be something great to consider if you do normally carry a Zippo with you: Zippo Fuel Canister Key Chain Cost is around $15 and has provisions for storage of 2 flints, one refill of fluid, and even a flat portion for loosening the screw that retains the flint.

Possibly a better option is the Zippo BLU which is a butane-powered jet-type lighter. Keeps the basic feel of a classic Zippo with more reliability of butane. Zippo BLU product page
Zippo BLU Introduction videos

I also believe that I recall seeing a butane-insert for standard Zippo's over at County Comm.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.