Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1607 - 09/10/01 06:05 PM EarthQuake Prepardedness Survival Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Due to the post about the new section regarding Urban Survival, I surfed on by and reviewed the Earthquake Prepardedness Survival Kit suggestions. I reviewed it and found it comprehensive. I looked and the publish date was April 1998. Has it been on the web site for 3 years and I missed it? <br><br>Anyway, I starting putting together a household kit during late '98 and through '99 in preparation for Y2K. It started small and grew until it took on a life of its own. To help me keep track of the direction is was growing and to make my shopping easier, I created a spreadsheet. Similar to the one on ETS, I divided the contents into groupings. I still pull up the spreadsheet from time to time to see what is left on the wish list or to see if any of the items have expired and need replenishment. <br><br>When I started, the first list of required supplies fit into a plastic tub about 14"x18"x28". I added a little here and little there and outgrew the tub. So I stored the extras next to the box on the shelf in the garage. After a while I saw the need for a second box. Once I decided I needed a second box, I decided to put together a full blown supply cache. So I now have about 6-8 boxes each with a dedicated theme, medical, tools, sanitation, migtigation, personal kits, cooking, food, etc.<br><br>Some items were too bulky for a box or were a sub-kit unto themselves. The 5000 watt generator, fuel, oil, power cords, spare motor parts, etc. were too bulky for the garage so were piled neatly in the shed. The chainsaw, extra chains, bar, files, spare motor parts, gloves, chaps, helmet, eye protection, fuel, oils, wedges, etc were too bulky and flammable for the garage and were sent to become a pile in the shed. <br><br>Around this same time, I progressed to the point of duplicating household items with dedicated supplies. First is was just flashlights, batteries, candles, sponges, etc. Simple, small cost items. Then a few screwdrivers, handsaw, other hand tools. Then I became obessed with having sealed kits with strictly dedicated equipment guarenteeing that the needed supplies would be in the kits and not borrowed for some mundane household task. <br><br>The project started as a simple portable BugOut Kit, a couple of day packs. Then I thought about a rolling cooler. Then it became apparent that the kit was no longer portable in its complete format. At that point I paired down to two small portable basic kits and the remainder was organized to provide extended support using the house as a base of operations. <br><br>I read through the list posted on ETS and I was surprised to find that list matched mine almost to the component. I am a member of a rescue squad so I have a few items that I included to provide rescue but otherwise the lists were very similar. <br><br>The list as spec'ed out on ETC is at least several thousand dollars. It also takes up considerable amount of space. To store this amount of equipment would require a small shed, rental storage locker, or medium trailer. In my case I have a dedicated set of 5 shelves in my garage that are 18" deep, 48" wide and 84" tall. Additionally I have 3 shelves 24" x 7' long in my shed plus floor space for the generator. The sleeping bags and tents take additional space in another location. <br><br>I guess where all this rambling is going, is to say the list is very comprensive, costly and bulky. Having the equipment is only the first step. You also have to make sure that your family knows where the equipment is and ways to use the equipment. It requires a very dedicated individual to budget the funds, shop for the items, provide storage, and continually maintain the equipment. Training and exercising with the family is even more challenging.<br><br>I would also caution that the list of supplies may create a false sense of security without practicing with the equipment. For instance, a generator can be useful if you have extension cords and plug devices directly into the generator. If you expect to run your entire house, then you will need addtional equipment and reworking of your electrial system to provide an input location via a Double throw, Double pole switching box. You also need to be able to fuel, start, and keep the motor running. Pitch your tents to ensure you have all the tent stakes, guide lines, poles, ground clothes and other goodies. Fire up the grills, motors, lanterns, or other stuff to ensure it works and you know how to start and use in a low stress, perfect environment. If you can't use the stuff in a perfect environment, think how you will fare in an emergency.<br><br>Package the necessary extras with the equipment so when things break, repairs are easy. For instance if you have Coleman or Propane lanterns, store a few extra mantles and matches with the lanterns. Store funnels with fuel. Store gloves with tools. Store batteries with flashlights. If any of your equipment has motors, store pre-gapped spark plugs, starter ropes, basic hand tools, fuel filters, fuel and other necessary parts with the motorized equipment. Store a hank of rope with each and every tarp. You might be surprised to find how much rope it takes to tie up a tarp. Rope you can't use for other tasks once you have your shelter rigged.<br><br>Think about the axiom, 2 is 1, 1 is none. That means if you have two of something, one will break and leave you only one. If you have 1, then you really have none since it will fail when it is needed the most. Can you realistically afford to double the entire list? Is it truly necessary?<br><br>Do I think everyone needs such an extensive list of supplies? No. Should everyone have a basic 72 hour kit in a daypack for every individual? Yes. Maybe if you and your neighbors reviewed the list, you might find that all the equipment is in your nieghborhood, just not all in one garage. Maybe by picking up a few supplies like extra mantles for lanterns, or storing an extra can of gas for the chain saw and generator, the neigborhood could provide a well balanced emergency kit for little cost to each of the participants. For instance, I keep a $15 part that allows me to convert Coleman fuel camp stoves to use propane since almost everyone on my street has a propane grill. This would allow them to take advantage of a potential fuel source.<br><br>

#1608 - 09/10/01 08:51 PM Re: EarthQuake Prepardedness Survival Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yesterday's tremblor produced new sales events at the local hardware and surplus stores for supplies and kits. Once again people are aware of the potential threat. A few mainstay bars and kits from the local Mainstay Corp. will no doubt be sold, along with flashlights and gas shutoff wrenches. Alas, most people's awareness and comittment have a much shorter shelf life. On the other hand, We fret over what we don't have as of yet, and the reality of maintaining what we do. The anecdotes of social hostility are real. A sustained effort by networking neighbors, your own religous community or place of employment can provide the positive peer pressure lost when regular services breakdown or are overtaxed.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.