Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160640 - 12/31/08 02:41 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Man that's tough when something you've nurtured becomes intolerable. As the saying goes: When one door closes, another opens. Good Luck.

#160649 - 12/31/08 03:35 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, this must be incredibly rough for you but it definatly sounds like you did the right thing. Peace be with you, friend.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#160652 - 12/31/08 03:55 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
CDVXF7 Offline

if someone calls 911, I'm not coming..... and if the wind is right, I'll hear the siren. [/quote]

I feel exactly like I have after a breakup of a long-term romance, possibly worse. [/quote]

I felt the same way when I bowed out after 5 years of EMS as an EMT due to burnout. But making the decision to bow out paved the way to great opportunities and a great life since. Good luck!

#160653 - 12/31/08 04:11 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: CDVXF7]
MrEarp Offline
Stranger

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Been there done that. Its terrible that almost every department has this same type of thing. It affects good volunteers and pushes them away.

I walked away once and it took a year to turn that pager back on. The only reason was because I realized why we do it. To steal an over used line.. "so others may live" its why we are out when others are hiding, its why we run towards it instead of away from it. We don't do it for us. We do it for them.

Take a deep breath, relax for a few days and get things straight in your head. You'll know when your ready to go back.

- Earp

#160657 - 12/31/08 05:12 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MrEarp]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
I'm in a different field. But I know the feeling. You love the job but its hurting you to stay. I left a company (business) for another that made me feel happy, wanted and appreciated for my talents and insights. Less pay but less aggravation and frustration.

I hope you find the same,
OneDzGuy

#160660 - 12/31/08 10:04 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MrEarp]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: MrEarp
Been there done that. Its terrible that almost every department has this same type of thing. It affects good volunteers and pushes them away.

Indeed, this is the case. It's not just the company I was with, the entire volunteer service is bleeding out. It's dead, over, gone, done, but nobody can come up with a workable idea for the stations that have under 300 calls a year.

I know I can't stop doing emergency work...and I think that with the number of wrecks we get, the paid ambulance company might want to push from EMS with BLS and ALS and go to Rescue/Medic and handle extrication as well. It's a matter of who pays, and how much.

#160663 - 12/31/08 11:57 AM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm sorry Martin, I wish there had been a better option for you. I watched my little brother leave the EMS and fire agencies that he started with, and those battles were worse on him than getting divorced.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#160665 - 12/31/08 12:10 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Often the time comes when "you gotta do what's right for you"
I left the fire dept and EMS when the BS got so bad it stopped being fun.
You have your life back now, and time for the kids
Best wishes
Stu

#160667 - 12/31/08 12:24 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: MartinFocazio]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Martin, SB Raider has it right. Spend the extra time with your family. I have been exactly where you are and it is not easy to leave. After a few months you can go back and just be one of the grunts. I much prefer just being a nozzlehead. Besides, you never really leavc the Brotherhood. I hope you find ultimately find peace with your decision.
Matthew

#160669 - 12/31/08 12:50 PM Re: I just quit the fire company [Re: Matt26]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Martin,

I can't add more then what everyone else mentioned already. Enjoy the New Year coming by spending more time with the family. Sometimes that cure is better then anything out there! Just remember, you never know what the New Year will bring.

Kris

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.