Topic Options
#160530 - 12/30/08 03:00 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My suggestions:

1. Turn off the tv
2. Go outside
3. Enjoy life, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

#160531 - 12/30/08 03:00 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: GarlyDog]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
You may want to take a break from watching the news for a while. It will do wonders for your outlook on life.

I've cut way back on watching the news and I'm not nearly as grouchy. wink

#160533 - 12/30/08 03:03 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

The list you made...all these have been causing mankind a lot of grieve for millenniums....and I suspect they will be around far longer then we here have to worry about.

#160539 - 12/30/08 03:18 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
At the risk of repeating myself, life's a [censored]. Then you die.

The news folks love to tell bad stuff. How often to you see "news" about something good happening???

#160566 - 12/30/08 06:39 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
dcnh Offline
Stranger

Only a few more weeks before the mainstream media changes its narrative from "grim" to "hope". My guess is that you'll see many more stories in the news taking the "glass is half full" approach in 2009.

#160567 - 12/30/08 06:39 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I don't know if anything has really changed with the world; but, I have definitely had a different "feeling" for the last few years.
Until just a few years ago, I never thought about keeping extra supplies on hand, or carrying emergency gear. Now, I couldn't imagine not making those types of preparations.

Maybe it's all really just a product of growing older and becoming more conservative or cautious as we age.(?)

#160572 - 12/30/08 07:18 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: Lon]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Back in the mid 90's, a neighbor of mine was working on her masters degree in journalism. The topic was regarding race relations in the US and how it was reported in the news.

Starting in 1990, the amount of coverage of racial tensions started increasing, while crime data showed a real decrease in the actual number of real race related crime (which had been decreasing for several years). The paper basically showed that after the fall of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., there was less 'hard' news that people really cared about. This coupled with the increase in news channels (cable) drastically lowered the bar for what qualified as 'news'.

This is even more true today. I don't feel the world is fundamentally worse off today that it was 30 years ago, but back then, if a husband killed his wife and kids 3000 miles away, it was maybe an inch of news on page 34 of the paper and never mentioned on TV at all. Now we are getting all the details in real time.

When I was a kid, there was an incident where 2 cops got killed and the killer took off and hid for 2 weeks in the corn fields. Today that manhunt would be headline news for a few days. Back then, people that lived more 100 miles away didn't know anything had ever happened.

#160579 - 12/30/08 08:57 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: MichaelJ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MichaelJ
Hello all,

Am I just being paranoid, or does it seem like something really big is coming?

Perhaps I'm watching and reading to much news;
global climate change
pandemic flu
food shortages
drought
failing economies
unemployment
war
poverty
terrorism
etc.
...you know...the usual.

But it seems to me that we're at a breaking point for so may things, and eventually something has to give.
Couple to that the interconnectivity of many of our "vital" systems and...well, it looks like something big is about to happen.

Anyone else feel this way?

yep... job opportunity!

Even though mine study and mine job is about disaster and crisis management/policy, i can still sleep well, not worry to much, if not worry less than i used to. Enjoy life, what more can i see.

#160585 - 12/30/08 09:55 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: Grouch]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The media is a for profit business. They make money by getting people to watch. They get them to watch by sensationalizing everything that happens. The proliferation of technology also allows photos and videos of events to come from all corners of the globe now. We are seeing more bad news, but there are not more bad things happening.

#160586 - 12/30/08 10:03 PM Re: Paranoid or seeing the "signs"? [Re: gonewiththewind]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
True. One of my biggest gripes with the news folk is the way they edit film to show what "they" want "us" to see. Case in point, the Rodney King video. Not until there had been a riot, several deaths, and a jillion dollars in damage and public expenses did I see the first part of that video, the part where Rodney was on his feet, an officer was preparing to 'cuff him, Rodney turned and charged the officer, and the fight began. Pre-riot all we saw was Rodney on the ground being whacked by a bunch of LAPD officers.

And don't even get me started on how the LAPD took over a CHP arrest without being asked to, then messed up the prosecution...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.