Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160743 - 12/31/08 09:33 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: UncleGoo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe watch an old Beach Blanket Bingo type movie too!!!

#160811 - 01/01/09 08:22 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sodak Offline
Addict

I'm not upgrading, I'm throwing my tv in the trash. Never watch it anyway.

#160816 - 01/01/09 09:24 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Maybe so, but Annette puts them all to shame...

Agreed

#160834 - 01/02/09 12:44 AM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: sodak]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: sodak

We did that in 1999...don't regret it a bit...but we still watch plenty of stuff - just via the computers - Hulu.com and Netflix on Demand.

#160855 - 01/02/09 05:10 AM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: MartinFocazio]
MedB Offline

I don't understand some of the angst some folks have around this changeover.

* Try and find your favorite new music on reel-to-reel (or 8-track, or compact cassette, or DAT, etc) today
* Try and find a new three-wheeler ATV today
* Try and find coca cola with cocaine in it today

Technology changes. Governmental rules change. Life changes. Sometimes those changes are bad, this time they got it right.

The forum created to study and implement this change has done a stellar job of creating a new system that not only will serve us well in 2009, but far into the future. Are we all aware of the fact that the compromise made way back when color was introduced doomed us to a TV system that lags behind the rest of industrialized world? Or that the system itself was only ever intended for 9" screens because in the 1930's they couldn't imagine anyone having screens bigger than that. We are talking 70 year old techology!

And don't forget, DTV will be alot more than just HD picture. Things like multi-casting, surround sound, local-into-local casting, interactive content are all possible with this new system.

Change is always hard. But this time around, the ATSC and the Govt really have done an amazing job here.

My two cents,

#161582 - 01/06/09 02:34 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
The government made 16 BILLION dollars on those "free" airwaves.

Just FYI.

I can't quite decide what you're trying to get at with this statement. This is a good thing... Right?

Those airwaves were free to both the broadcaster and the viewer to view free TV. Those frequencies were simply shifted to a different range and are still free (actually they were shifted to the UHF band which were already part of the "free" spectrum). The new digital broadcasts are much more efficient in regards to bandwidth and in comparison the analog signals are very wasteful. Nothing has changed in regards to free broadcasting.

This move freed up the VHF band that was being used for something else. That frequency sprectrum was sold for other uses which will in turn charge customers for its use. If companies are going to charge for the use of the spectrum then they certainly sould have to pay for it.

In the end there's just as much free broadcasting as there ever was (more actually since the bandwidth each station gets allows for sub-channels) and we're able to accomidate the much needed demand for other spectrum needs while making 16 BILLION dollars in the effort.

#161592 - 01/06/09 04:03 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: ki7he]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
I finally got around to hooking up my DTV converter to the small analog TV in our bedroom that we use to watch the local news at night (we try to stay awake until the weather, 50% success rate!). We use rabbit ears and picked the least annoying local anchor team to watch. Reception with analog signals was fuzzy and often required readjusting the rabbit ears.

With the new DTV converter we get more channels and they are crystal clear. Not a bad investment for $20 out of pocket! Saves the 13" TV from the landfill.

Edited by Mike_in_NKY (01/06/09 04:03 PM)

#161620 - 01/06/09 06:08 PM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey that's cool.

#161705 - 01/07/09 04:24 AM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: MartinFocazio]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: sodak

We did that in 1999...don't regret it a bit...but we still watch plenty of stuff - just via the computers - Hulu.com and Netflix on Demand.

Roger that. We have dvd players for movies also. I lived without tv for several years, it just gave me more reading time. I'm the type who doesn't like background noise anyway - other than good music.

#161709 - 01/07/09 04:42 AM Re: Digital Television Transition Update [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Should you move to tornado alley, may I suggest one digital TV. It really helps when mother nature is trying to kill you. Keeps you from sitting in the shelter for a warning called out for the entire county when it is 60 miles away.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 210 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
8 minutes 13 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.