The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160385 - 12/29/08 05:39 PM Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon

#160391 - 12/29/08 06:11 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: Colourful]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Same with a pair here that got nailed. The dad (third in the group) survived. One of the fatalities was a local fireman, who tried to save the other one and ended up a Darwin Award winner as well.

Sad, but what do you expect when you do stupid...

#160392 - 12/29/08 06:16 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: Colourful]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

For those who may of read this post previously, I updated the map of the area after looking at my old topo maps and Google Earth.

I have been following this story yesterday and throughout today and your are correct, it does not look like there is going to be a good outcome of this.

Years back we camped in and hiked in this general area and it is rugged country in the summer, let alone the winter. The map below shows the general area. The town of Fernie is to the top left of the map

Edited by Sherpadog (12/29/08 06:37 PM)
Edit Reason: Updated map

#160418 - 12/29/08 09:51 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Latest news reports state that six bodies have been found....

#160420 - 12/29/08 10:15 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Sad, but what do you expect when you do stupid...

I'm a little worried that benjammin got hit by an avalanche in mid-post. I hope he's OK!!

Ken K. grin

#160421 - 12/29/08 10:36 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: Colourful]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
At the risk of sounding flippant, which is not what I intend, the dreaded white stuff strikes again...

#160422 - 12/29/08 10:38 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, an avalanche of extra work due to stupid people.

and tonight I am going to see the Avalanche pounce on the Tennesseans. Haven't gone to a hockey match in years. Could use a little blood lust right about now.

#160434 - 12/29/08 11:14 PM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The Canadian Avalanche Centre, based in Revelstoke, said there were reports of avalanches in the area all day, and it warned people to stay out of the area for the next several days."

It won't happen to us. The same old story.

Sue

#160461 - 12/30/08 01:38 AM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: Susan]
timo Offline

Males, mid to late 20's, snowmobiles, warnings of dangerous conditions...
How predictable was this?
Knowledge of the area does not equal experience.
In this case "experienced in the back country" was trumped by testosterone.
Sad.

#160479 - 12/30/08 03:46 AM Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada [Re: timo]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Looks like the story is even more tragic. Some of the dead were Good Samaritans who happened upon the first avalanche and were killed by the second during rescue efforts.

- - - - -
From the Edmonton Journal (a credible publication BTW):

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Seven+bodies+found+search/1123919/story.html

"RCMP said the men were all wearing avalanche beacons when they were riding together Sunday in the Flathead Valley, 40 kilometres southwest of Fernie.

Police said some members from a group of seven snowmobilers were buried by an avalanche in the Harvey Pass area — a popular backcountry snowmobile destination.

A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to the aid of members from the first group who were in the process of digging out their fellow riders.

The RCMP said the newly formed group was able to locate one rider, but as they were digging him out at a depth of about three metres, a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group.

Two of the buried riders managed to get themselves out within about 20 minutes. These two used avalanche beacons to locate a third buried victim who they rescued after an additional 20 minutes of digging.

The Provincial Emergency Program was notified when automated distress calls were received from communications devices worn by the snowmobilers. A helicopter was dispatched to the scene to pick up two of the three survivors. The third survivor was transported by ground with the assistance of Fernie Search and Rescue personnel."

- - - - -

I've been to Fernie, in summer. It's magnificent mountain country. It's also high angle country with narrow valleys, so I imagine any avalanche would travel a long way with considerable force. From first reports, the snowmobilers were not "high marking" -- a popular sport where souped-up sleds go up steep inclines in a competition to leave the highest mark. This, of course, carries a degree of avalanche risk. But it appears (hearsay?) that this group was low down and happened to be caught by the first avalanche.

Hearts out to the families. This has to be a tough one.

- - - - -

(P.S., Moderators, I believe my limited quote is appropriate. If not, please advise and I will modify ASAP.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/30/08 03:51 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.