Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#160299 - 12/28/08 03:09 PM Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots [Re: SwampDonkey]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My most often requested cocktail at the bar is a Manhattan, made with Jim Beam and straight up.

Occasionally I will get a snakebite, or a gin & tonic.

At home, I have a variety of liquors, and often I make buttershots (butterscotch Schnapps with an Irish Cream floater) for my guests.

Recently I recreated a cocktail I enjoyed on Singapore Airlines, which I could not find the formula on the internet anywhere. I call it a "Tomosa". It is two parts orange juice, one part tomato juice and one part cheap champagne. I served these at my recent christmas party, and everyone who tried it found it different but quite pleasant. Even without the champagne, it is still a refreshing beverage, and one of my favorites for breakfast.

#160319 - 12/28/08 09:40 PM Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots [Re: benjammin]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I like a dry martini, Hendrick's gin for preference, Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray if its not available (which it almost never is). Some times with a splash of scotch, it adds a nice smoky flavor. It irritates me to no end that I often have to specify a gin martini. There is no such thing as a straight vodka martini, vodka and vermouth is called a Kangaroo. What James Bond was ordering was a drink that was two parts gin, and one part vodka. Not pure vodka. And stirred. Ending up with a martini full of ice fragments and tasting primarily of water is not satisfactory.

Otherwise, I enjoy Singapore slings, Manhattans, New Yorks, margaritas, Tom Collins (Not in a tumbler!), Hefeweizens and Dark microbrews.

When I take shots, which is rare, its either rye whiskey, tequila (100% blue agave with lime and salt) or German chocolate cake. A chocolate cake is Frangelico, with a sugar coated lemon on the side. You bite into the lemon and hold the juice in your mouth while drinking the liquor and it tastes just like chocolate cake. But this is a frou frou shot and is only appropriate for birthday parties and surprising women.

I don't like the current trends that college students are taking with regards to cocktails. I prefer to take my drinking seriously (this is not necessarily the same thing as getting seriously drunk).

#160326 - 12/28/08 11:35 PM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Ever seen a full Brazilian with nothing left but, as she put
it, a "landing strip"? :-)..."

Every day. And that is all I am gonna say on this subject...

#160340 - 12/29/08 02:24 AM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Time to shed the tan lines. No longer considered appropriate work attire...

RIP OBG

#160341 - 12/29/08 02:41 AM Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots [Re: Blitz]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Guiness Stout

#160352 - 12/29/08 03:32 AM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Time to shed the tan lines..."

Did that on our cruise. I'm not gonna tell you about our next "job"...

#160354 - 12/29/08 03:58 AM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Your gonna look funny with wax burns....

First thing you find there is the storm shelter, then sunscreen... More later PM

RIP OBG

#160358 - 12/29/08 04:43 AM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: Desperado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Beer (local stuff- Great Lakes Brewing Co), rum (Flor De Cana), bourbon...

#160414 - 12/29/08 09:02 PM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: el_diabl0]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Gosh, I think I drink harder than some of the fellas on this board... not sure that's a good thing, but oh well. I'm a Mexican artist, afterall.

My current favorite cocktails (made with Maker's Mark):
Manhattan
Godfather (made with my homemade amaretto)
Mint Julep
Whiskey Sour

When I drink tequila (Patron Silver), I usually have it straight or on the rocks with real lime juice and triple sec (NEVER bottled margarita mix).

For vodka, I like Stoli and Grey Goose. White Russians are always good, though Caipiroska is my favorite vodka drink right now (uses a whole crushed lime).

As for beer, I've recently discovered a local micro-brewery and really like their stuff. Otherwise I drink Dos Equis and Corona.

If you're ever looking to try something new, I micro-blog various cocktail recipes that I come across: http://twitter.com/Mixologist.

#160424 - 12/29/08 10:43 PM Re: Stew cocktail [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, I always thought Pacifco was the preferred cerveza from that brewery. Oh well, marketing is the name of the game.

Now, Maker's Mark, that is the hair of the most proper dog. Beam for a decent Manhattan, but for sipping whiskey, MM has to be right up there. With MM, I don't need any bitters to give the bourbon some character.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.