The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#157483 - 12/07/08 03:37 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: AROTC]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Interesting - I've always found that the Inuprofen works great (for me) and Naprox is useless - does nothing for me
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#157491 - 12/07/08 05:35 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: KG2V]
Jakam
Unregistered

Yep, no offense, Iz, but Ibuprofen is the only effective analgesic for me as well- naproxen products really upset my stomach, Advil doesn't. And it relieves the pain, whether headache or other.

#157502 - 12/07/08 07:57 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Desperado]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Army Chemical Corp. I'd love to hear your E&E suggestions, everyone goes to the sandbox sometime and I'd definitely consider one there.

#157513 - 12/07/08 01:30 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Oni]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Oni
The center punch is for getting ones self out if trapped in a car. Of course if the situation is dire you won't have too much time to dig in the kit and get it out. However I feel it is a useful tool like the multi and mini prybar. I make knives and tools for a living so I carry more in the way of tools than most people.

The link to the EDC in my signature shows a ResQME mini rescue tool that I have attached to my keychain:

Shown here removed from the quick-disconnect, a razor-edged seat belt cutter is exposed, while the opposite end features a spring-loaded center punch that is used to shatter the side window:

Although carrying a machinist’s center punch is better than nothing, digging through a Maxpedition pouch while trapped upside down in a river or while your car burns to the ground after a serious collision is not what I would consider an ideal situation.

Jim

#157523 - 12/07/08 03:36 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Me too. With my back (and now shoulder), I live on 800mg...

#157527 - 12/07/08 03:42 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Paragon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have a spring loaded centerpunch attached to the drivers sunvisor in our P/U, but a strike with any sharp object will shatter a tempered window. In an emergency one could remove the key from the ignition, hold it with the tip pointing out from between two fingers, the blunt end of the key in your palm with a fist made, and punch the window hard. That might hurt a little bit, but should shatter the window. Or if a knife is handy, put the tip against he glass and whack the butt of the knife with your palm, same result...

#157543 - 12/07/08 05:16 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: ]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Tongue in cheek:

Placebo®--works on almost everything, almost every time. The real plus is you only have to carry one "med."

#157549 - 12/07/08 06:10 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: KG2V]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Interesting - I've always found that the Inuprofen works great (for me) and Naprox is useless - does nothing for me

I agree, when I tore my knee up, both my Orth. Surgeon (teaching at Cornell Med school)and my G.P. both recommended Ibuprofen over Naprox both for the pain and the swelling. My physical therapist also suggested it.

#157563 - 12/07/08 08:39 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Stu]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I too have found ibuprofen to work quite well for me. I have also taken Aleve thinking it was ibuprofen and took them every 4 hours instead of every 12. They worked well also but cave me a stomach ache for a couple of days. If you keep both of these in your kit, find a way to keep the dosage readable.

#157571 - 12/07/08 09:22 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
[quote=IzzyJG99...snip...
Personally Tylenol (Kills your liver. Bad to give to anyone who has had any kind of Hep.) ...snip...[/quote]

I can't take Tylenol, because I'm also taking Hydocodone APAP, which has about the maximum safe daily dose of Acetominiphin anyway.

Back before the opiates, I found that Tylenol and Motrin and a synergistic effect (it's been documented too) - alternate them, each on it's own schedule

I keep saying my leg is messed up - if you look at what I take as pain killers, you'll get a hint HOW messed up - and adding MRSA on top of the wound is not fun. Other day, I had to wash my wound in the shower - by the time I walked from the tub to my room - say 25 ft, I had blood all the way down to the floor on my leg. People here talk about wound care - The Long Term phamacy ships me 50 4x4, 25 rolls Kerlix, plus my silver bandages, every 2 weeks, and I usually run out of 4x4s. One of the interesting things is the wound care MDs teach you how to change your own dressings (if they can) so I don't have to have a visiting nurse every other day, or go to the office 3x/week. I go 1-2x/week to have the wound washed out, and basic debridement done
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.