Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160252 - 12/28/08 02:23 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
Not the car kit or socket set of course. The blanket is part of the car kit and so are the frog toggs. The mask stays at home or in the car depending on the danger level of the country/world. Worst case, I take it with me(God forbid). The large wet ones dispenser stays in the car but the smaller package goes in the pack. I also have a gill net that is a bit big for the pack but all the other stuff can fit. Oh yeah, the 2 Nalgene bottles have been replaced by MSR titanium bottles. I can use them for fuel or beverages per MSR. They don't have a expoxy-type lining baked into them like the Sigg bottles so you can also boil water in them. Whenever I replace an item with a better one, the old one is still useful for a second pack. It would be ideal to have a few packs with different weights allowing for a longer or shorter stay. Also, is the "Bug Out" for a personal break or is it an emergency? Each bag would have different things stocked. Where am I bugging out to? Is it the woods, swamp, mountains, Arctic? All things to consider for the right pack. The Camel Bak will be replaced, probably with a Granite Gear pack but I am still putting this "Ultimate Pack" together so I'm not sure how many cubes(cubic inches)I will need. I threw in some hiker lingo to appear cool. So I will end up with a few packs but the "main" pack will have all the bells and whistles that even NASA would be proud of.

#160261 - 12/28/08 02:59 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Shawn0467]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I was just curious as I have the same pack. When the family goes to Walt Disney World I carry it for all the goodies and hang extra water bottles on the outside. I can pack pretty well, but if you got all of that in there I was going to be amazed.

I have a big BOB that is full of "modules". Each one adds to the comfort level of the user. The base or Oh S--t Bag (OSB) is really all that is needed, but the rest really makes things easier. The OSB comes out of the BOB and is attached via MOLLE to allow more room in the BOB for food and "Mission Specific" needs. (weather, special needs etc.)

RIP OBG

#160270 - 12/28/08 03:52 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
As long as its easily and quickly de-modulated when time and weight are critical then it sounds like a good design. If you need to leave, move light and quick, taking the time to shake your pack down might waste the little time you have. If you have a few packs to choose from that are already designed for that specific situation then you can just grab and go. Whatever works I guess. I also think the Molle system is too heavy for my liking. I am only looking at light weight to ultra light weight gear.

Edited by Shawn0467 (12/28/08 03:58 AM)

#160272 - 12/28/08 04:18 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Shawn0467]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Works great. Hence the reason the services use the module idea with the ejection survival kits.

RIP OBG

#160308 - 12/28/08 06:29 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

From the time I joined the Army I was taught to carry the essentials at all times on my body:

Fire starting

Signaling

Shelter construction

Water procurement

This amounts to a whistle, light (I have the Photon Freedom or a military issue strobe which uses AA batteries) or orange signal panel (I have a very small nylon one from an aviator survival kit), water purification tablets (I now use the Micropur from Katadyn), parachute cord.

I was also taught to carry things in order of priority and possibility of being lost (line 1, line 2 and line 3).
Line 1: Carry on your body what you need to survive (in you pockets or on you belt).
Line 2: Carry on you Web gear (for civilian clothing a fanny pack, photo vest or fishing vest)what you need to fight.
Line 3: Carry in you back pack everything else (mission gear, comfort items and additional supplies).

We also had to take into consideration "the naked man syndrome". If you are captured (in which case they take everything, including your clothes) or lose everything in an airplane crash or have to shed everything to prevent drowning your brain is your most important survival tool. you have to learn how to do everything with nothing. Shelter, fire, water and signaling. This is the importance of primitive technology.

I have tons of gear which I carry even around town which my wife finds amusing (until I actually used it in front of her) and the airports are always questioning the stuff at security checkpoints. I always have the Ritter pocket survival pack (minus the razor blade) at a minimum. Foreign law enforcement has found it interesting as well. While in the Army I did use my survival gear on several occasions, not in a survival school, and will never be caught with the stuff in my pockets.

#161298 - 01/04/09 07:11 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Jeff_M]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Redundant items have an important alternate use: giveaways. When the mega-whatever hits and I have to hoof it home, some of my co-workers will have a similarly long walk in the other direction. If I can at least hand him a Bic, a water bottle and a space blanket, I've improved his odds a bit.

Jeff

With all due respect, you must not like your coworkers much. If I knew an associate (hell, any fellow survivor if it's down to the two of us) was gonna have to hike home through post-nuclear Israel, I wouldn't let them go without a good knife.

But then, good knives are illegal here. God damn it.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#161314 - 01/04/09 08:03 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Rodion]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...good knives are illegal here..."

Got a bayonet for your galil, M-16, or whatever you have been issued???

#161326 - 01/04/09 08:33 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
They don't let you keep it...

P.S. I don't think I was clear: you can have knives. You just can't carry them without a good reason.

Edited by Rodion (01/04/09 08:43 PM)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#161331 - 01/04/09 08:46 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Rodion]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

No judgement here just pointing out the ironic. IDF will send you home with a rifle, but local laws prevent you from owning a knife?

Yeah I realize there is a neighborhood reason (that neighborhood of the planet) you rifle goes home, but it is ironic.

RIP OBG

#161354 - 01/04/09 11:38 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had a computer service job a few years ago which took my to a local prison. When I emptied my pockets at the metal detector and the gaurd said you can't take that I started to pick up the pocket knife to take it back to the van and he stopped me and said the knife was ok but the cell phone couldn't go. I thought it to be the strangest thing.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.