The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#160053 - 12/26/08 10:16 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: gonewiththewind]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We lost some badguys in a corn field the size of Miami once. FLIR equipped chopper finally arrived, couldn't see a thing. I wanted to set the field on fire, but got outvoted on that one...

#160166 - 12/27/08 05:56 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
We lost some badguys in a corn field the size of Miami once. FLIR equipped chopper finally arrived, couldn't see a thing. I wanted to set the field on fire, but got outvoted on that one...

Don't know too much about the current choppers. The handheld device my brother-in-law used was color and very good stuff.

I like the idea of lighting the field on fire. Back to basics!

RIP OBG

#160189 - 12/27/08 08:57 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Desperado]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Don't know too much about the current choppers. The handheld device my brother-in-law used was color and very good stuff.

I like the idea of lighting the field on fire. Back to basics!

I bet it would have helped with the FLIR, too. Just look for the little bright spot running away from the massive bright spot. laugh

#160267 - 12/28/08 03:38 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
This is a perfect shelter for E&E. Its a British issue item and has many uses. Going underground is the answer to many detection problems. The hole doesn't have to be as large as the tarp that is supplied. You could dig a hole just large enough to sit in, stake the top of the hole, sit down, lace up the stakes, and then pull the cover over the top(the cover will have been prepared with natural camo materials from your surroundings prior to this step making sure not to expose any of the tarp edges. If done correctly, it should be flat and even with the surrounding ground with grass or weeds standing up. The top layer of "Sod" should be saved intact and in one piece for the cover. Ever see the movie "Red Dawn" when they were at the gas station when the tank rolled in? They built simular holes. If you want some depth of soil over you to contain your heat signature or protect you from Gamma Ray bursts then you need to dig the hole deeper making sure the perimeter area above the hiding hole is bigger to allow you to lay the tarp down(an edge to hold down the stakes and tarp). You will also need to backfill an entrance from inside the hole since the top is solid dirt(up to 27" with the British kit). The dirt from the hole should be take a ways away from the hole(not drug on the ground) and made to look like an animal burrow perhaps. If there is a water supply near like a stream, river, or lake I suggest tossing it in. Here is a link.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...ual-360959.html

#160271 - 12/28/08 04:10 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Shawn0467]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
Here is an interesting article about FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red Imagery) conducted on Polar Bears. Notice that there has to be a contrast between temp and dew point. Sun light also interferes as does snow, fog, and I would think rain. It says some dens will never be detectable. I wonder why? Are they deeper perhaps?

http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/polar_bears/denning.html

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.