Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#159235 - 12/20/08 01:51 AM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: MrEarp]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MrEarp
Nice Kit..

- One thing I do to save on weight is keep 2 bag's in the trunk. One with my normal kit that has the basics and a support kit that has all the extras. Generally our sar missions don't get us more then 1 / 2 miles from a road. But I've had missions go extended times. Or dunk myself in water.

Darn good words that! First SAR was in December in Northern Oklahoma inside city limits (very small town). I was home for Christmas leave and was on a ride along with a buddy from the PD. PD gave me a radio and I was using the POV. One slip on an asphalt rode edge and I was swimming in BDU's and boots. Since my POV had been sitting for months guess what didn't want to start when I got out of the water. Did I mention the radio was decidedly not waterproof. Next morning we found out the Alzheimer's patient was less than 25 yards from where I fell in. She survived in her gown and the thickest robe I have ever seen. If she was there when I went in I wish she could have loaned me the robe. It was three miles home on foot in wet clothes.

RIP OBG

#159246 - 12/20/08 03:18 AM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: climberslacker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I carry Printed Paper Evidence Bags at work to collect evidence at forest fire crime scenes. You cannot package any evidence for petroleum accelerant testing in plastic bags as plastic is also produced from oil and will contaminate your sample.

Special clean metal cans, jars and paper boxes are also used but I do not carry them in my Patrol Pack as they are too bulky.

Mike

#159248 - 12/20/08 03:22 AM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Lono]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
You could always attach your Bic to your ID Necklace with a Lighter Leash end cap? I have seen these for sale on gas station counters for about $3.00.

Mike

#160187 - 12/27/08 08:56 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Lono]
Shawn0467 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana USA
I think the saw could be upgraded to a professional quality saw. I have a Silky SUPER ACCEL 210 Large Teeth saw that will cut through wood like butter. This is the saw of choice for professional tree workers. Make sure the wet wipes are unscented so you don't attract bugs or large animals looking for food. They make an outdoors wipe just for the woods. You could lighten up a bit by going Titanium with your cookware and windscreen. Lose the trowl and use your new titanium spoon. Hot chocolate is nice but I suggest you carry some electrolyte powder. Good for extreme conditions and if you have diarrhea. I don't know whats in your first aid kit but some QuikClot Sport for bleeding would be a smart choice and some antibiotics wouldn't hurt any. My first aid kit has many extras and is a topic in itself. PC2K is right about a bivy. You have a heat sheet but you may want to upgrade to a Medical Adventures Thermo-Lite 2 Bivy Sack. A little more weight but if you shake down else where it evens out. Where is your bug wipes, sunscreen, and sunglasses? A LED headlamp comes in handy when you need to use your hands. I have a Princton Tec EOS tactical and it serves as a strobe for signaling. Some 550 para cord would be good for many uses. If you want to spend a bit more then get some New England Tech Cord 5mm x 25 meter which can be used for emergency rappelling. Here is a link for the entire system. http://www.uscav.com/milmall/Productinfo.aspx?productid=7342&TabID=1&CatID=841
And maybe a nysil pack cover or a poncho to protect everything. Depending on the season, I would pack a set of base layer clothing in a ziplock. Check out Eddie Bauer Cocona 365. Compact, lightweight, dries fast, and machine washable. If you fall in some ice cold water you will be glad you have them to change into. Some hand warmer packets work pretty well and could be used inside your bivy for a warmth boost(you can always use your water bottle with some boiled water for that too). I would also replace the granola bars with a Mainstay Food Package. You can go wrong with any dehydrated food as I see you have a Mountain House. Kudos. Some good fishing line and a few hooks might be a good idea. I would also replace your Bic with a Brunton Helios lighter. I have had many Bics fail by melting when trying to light something stubborn. But at first glance, other than what I have mentioned it looks good.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.