The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#158054 - 12/12/08 03:04 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I lost contact with him 'bout 40 years ago, unfortunately.

Side note, not long after he went thru it there was a big congressional investigation, thanks to the high number of injuries and deaths that students were having, if I remember correctly a general or two retired a little early, and some farther down the chain just went looking for a new job...

#158056 - 12/12/08 03:22 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
There was nothing like the first few nights trying to get sleep at Ft. Sill. The U.S. Army artillery and USAF C5's sang ya' to sleep every night. Three nights into basic training though and it didn't matter.

When asked about your date with the knife you said 12/12/09. Kinda planning ahead or is it 08?

Have you created your post-op PSK? Good Luck.

RIP OBG

#158152 - 12/13/08 02:50 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
Smart guy.

The mere fact that the others let those in charge define their environment suggests that that would not be the ones to initate an escape for real.

Hope he did not get into trouble

#158192 - 12/13/08 02:38 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: BOD]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: BOD
10 days later he turned up at the garrison. He'd spent the entire time in a hotel while the rest were in the bush, starving and later interrogated.

Some people wanted to court-martial him but wiser heads prevailed pointing out that what he did was exactly right. Escape as soon as possible.
I agree about escaping as soon as possible. However, often these exercises are attempting to simulate escaping in a foreign land. Checking into a hotel would probably get you arrested pronto.

There was a BBC TV series called "SAS: Are You Tough Enough?" that put civilian volunteers through faux SAS selection. During the E&E exercise they were told to stay away from roads. One of the women was found hitch-hiking. If she'd done that for real in a foreign country, it would be like hitch-hiking through England with a German accent during WWII. Anyone who meets you would turn you in.

#158275 - 12/14/08 03:34 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Oni]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

For an E&E kit, how about one of these HERE

They say it is completely waterproof, but the one I have has tiny pin holes where the threads are. Makes me wonder if it really is IR undetectable like they say.

#158283 - 12/14/08 04:45 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007

For an E&E kit, how about one of these HERE

They say it is completely waterproof, but the one I have has tiny pin holes where the threads are. Makes me wonder if it really is IR undetectable like they say.

Maybe the IR will only show up as a "connect-the-dots". laugh laugh laugh

My experience with FLIR tells me it will either show up due to being warmer or show up due to being cooler than the ground around it. You'll look like the blob. One must remember the newer FLIR stuff differentiates between 1/2 deg Celsius IIRC.

Edited by Desperado (12/14/08 04:49 AM)

RIP OBG

#158461 - 12/15/08 08:34 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Brangdon]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: BOD
10 days later he turned up at the garrison. He'd spent the entire time in a hotel while the rest were in the bush, starving and later interrogated.

Some people wanted to court-martial him but wiser heads prevailed pointing out that what he did was exactly right. Escape as soon as possible.

I agree about escaping as soon as possible. However, often these exercises are attempting to simulate escaping in a foreign land. Checking into a hotel would probably get you arrested pronto.

There was a BBC TV series called "SAS: Are You Tough Enough?" that put civilian volunteers through faux SAS selection. During the E&E exercise they were told to stay away from roads. One of the women was found hitch-hiking. If she'd done that for real in a foreign country, it would be like hitch-hiking through England with a German accent during WWII. Anyone who meets you would turn you in.

This was in a foreign land where the people you refer to go to after they have passed selection. The towns were searched too.

#158462 - 12/15/08 09:10 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Desperado]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Desperado
One must remember the newer FLIR stuff differentiates between 1/2 deg Celsius IIRC.

Man, if I'm ever in an evasion situation I'd be ecstatic if this attention to detail was adhered to. I'm the signal, everything else is the noise...you really think your basic black box operator is going to be able to figure the difference? Or maybe it's not a half a degree...make it two degrees...is that important? Or is that just differential heating depending on slope aspect and crushed grass (e.g., game trail)?

What constitutes an anomaly? Never forget the human element.

#158464 - 12/15/08 11:49 AM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: yelp]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Your probably right. The search and rescue stuff my brother-in-law carries on a USAR team is probably just falsely advertised. I am certain they didn't find me with that the last time I visited and helped out with their training. Must have been their flashlights in the dark. I am sure Raytheon here in the DFW area is looking for that kind of expertise to help them in truth in advertising.

Having gotten to "help" and been rewarded with getting to "play" with some Raytheon's new toys and visit with their tech team I am sure I must have been mistaken. I will say the color display IR stuff I got to "play" with was amazing and did have a resolution scale that went to 1/2 deg C IIRC.

Edited by Desperado (12/15/08 11:51 AM)

RIP OBG

#160022 - 12/26/08 07:16 PM Re: Escape & Evasion kits [Re: Desperado]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

FLIR is easy enough to beat with low tech solutions. The bad guys in Afghanistan trained for, and successfully used against us, methods for this. A good blanket covered with snow over their hole worked just fine.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.