Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#159837 - 12/25/08 01:30 AM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Smash,

While I was trying to be nice and point out that your post was taken as an attack by more then one member of this forum. I know that you have been responding via PM because some of those individuals have told me so. I am not a moderator, I am just a member of the forum who was hoping that my post would prompt a response from you that better explained your point. Apparently, I was wrong in thinking that your response would be any different then your others.

#159838 - 12/25/08 01:35 AM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Stretch]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
No offense perceived on my part. Everyone's opinions welcomed!

Happy holidays everyone!!

Oh, and a special thanks to those of you who who serve and protect. You have my utmost respect.

Ken K.

#159873 - 12/25/08 08:27 AM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: KenK]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
The problem with the Victorinox locking folders, like the one hand trekker and the forester, isn't the saw or the excellent locking screwdriver.

The problem is that their main tools, the knives, are pretty mediocre. They aren't very sharp and don't sharpen up well. They'll go right thru butter on a hot day, but that's about it.

Hmm. I agree there are many knives out there with better blades made of better steels. But if anyone means to imply that Victorinox blades are somehow inadequate for general utility work I'd like to hear some better clarification.

I have folders that hold an edge quite a bit longer but my Victorinox knives have been some of the sharpest blades I've ever owned. The blade profile is very acute, the steel can be sharpened easily to a fine edge. Restoring the edge takes very little effort and can be done on any kind of stone, which is a major advantage compared to some harder steel. I have in fact used a Victorinox as a straight razor on a few occasions. A friend of mine has used his as a carving knife for many, many years (and he is pretty good at woodworking). So please, let's keep it in a proper perspective.

For all the "tactical" blades made of S30/60/90 or whatever the latest fad steel out there, please show me what these super folders can do that the Victorinox can't. Then consider the price and cost/effect ratio. In my experience, Victorinox folders are at least adequate for most utility tasks that can be reasonably expected from a pocket knife. You would be hard pressed to find a brand that has been around so long and used by so many people.

#159882 - 12/25/08 01:21 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Tom_L]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Tom,
There is nothing wrong with either maker of the Swiss Army Knives products for utility work. I own a number of both Victorinox and Wegner's products and they are good tools.

The Trekker is a good knife, I have one in my SAR kit I use at the FD. However, I would still rather have a knife with a larger profile blade in a better steel that will hold an edge longer then the SAK's. S30V isn't a fad steel, it has been around for quite for good reason. S30V is extraordinarily corrosion resistant, is easy to sharpen and holds and edge well. Are there other steels with similar performance, sure. SAK's blades even share some of these properties, but for me the killer is how quickly a SAK's blade looses it's edge and how thin and somewhat flimsy the blades are.

Like I said, they are exceptional knives for utility work, the small blade has been my whittling blade of choice since in cub scouts, and the other tools they have make them very useful. I still would prefer a better blade for the tougher survival knife tasks like battoning.

#159883 - 12/25/08 01:55 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Alan_Romania]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I put a utility edge on my SAK's which works for the light cutting I expect of it. While they will dull quicker than one of the premier steels, I think of the main blade on any multi-tool -- SAK's included -- as a back-up. I'll have a primary folding knife in S30V, 154CM, D-2 or even a fixed blade to use for heavier tasks. Heck, even my Leatherman Charge TTi has an S30V blade which I consider a back-up. The ergos are wrong for it to be considered a primary sharp.

BTW, for those interested, Victorinox uses the same steel for all their tools/blades, only the heat treatment changes.
SAK Inox has: 0.52 carbon, 0.45 Manganese, 0.6 Silicon, 15 Chromium, 0.5 Molybdenum -- Sorta kinda similar to 425. IIRC, $.02

#159895 - 12/25/08 03:24 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
What happened to Smash's posts? I know it's not something to concentrate on, but it's awful strange that someone's posts would disappear....

#159897 - 12/25/08 03:38 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Smash was moderated.

#159901 - 12/25/08 03:57 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Russ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

It is my understanding that Smash was given a choice between being civil or being "moderated" and he chose to post a even more insulting and derogatory post in this thread which made the choice for the moderators easy.

Again, I am not a moderator so this is just how it was explained to me.

#159912 - 12/25/08 05:22 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Alan_Romania]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
The Trekker is a good knife, I have one in my SAR kit I use at the FD. However, I would still rather have a knife with a larger profile blade in a better steel that will hold an edge longer then the SAK's. S30V isn't a fad steel, it has been around for quite for good reason. S30V is extraordinarily corrosion resistant, is easy to sharpen and holds and edge well. Are there other steels with similar performance, sure. SAK's blades even share some of these properties, but for me the killer is how quickly a SAK's blade looses it's edge and how thin and somewhat flimsy the blades are.

S30V (and any other "high grade" cutlery steel is just fine. Pretty much any steel these days is good at what it's supposed to do. The problem is, the cutlery industry now relies heavily on fads to push their products. As a result, a lot of people now sadly believe any knife NOT made of whatever happens to be the steel of the day is just useless and mediocre. Hence my "fad steel" comment.

#159914 - 12/25/08 05:46 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: Tom_L]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Smash posted comments that were in clear violation of the forum rules.
And again, this website is not paid for by taxation or subscription, so 'free speech' is not an issue.
Smash can create a website, earn an online reputation and say anything he wants.
I contacted smash. By PM I told him very directly he was violating the rules and had two options.
Smash chose to reply with insult and vulgarity.
Once my refined And delicate nature recovered from his withering, and incredibly original coments, I banned him.
I deleted all ofhis posts, letting a tagger's graffiti remain on the website equally offensive to my gentile nature.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/25/08 05:47 PM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.