Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#159754 - 12/24/08 02:07 PM Re: is there a better folder than 1 for the money? [Re: KenK]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: KenK
Not to hijack, but did you by chance need to tighten the Mk1's pivot to meet what I understand is the UK's law about knives that can be opened by flipping?
The manufacturer tightened it before shipping. I had to loosen it for use.

I don't keep it very loose, but it's a bit academic as it's not legal every day carry in the UK anyway. It mostly lives at home.

#159777 - 12/24/08 04:44 PM Re: is there a better folder than 1 for the money? [Re: Brangdon]
KR20 Offline
CEP

Loc: Arizona
I don't post often but I can't leave this one alone. To imply that Doug is in this for monetary gain is ignorant and insulting. I had an opportunity to work with Doug and see first hand the passion He has for the Safety of others. What little money that does come in from his products goes right back in to fund the foundation. Not all companies are willing to give away their products for testing, some are down right hostel about it. Where do you think the funds come from for Doug to do this type of testing and research. Some come in from donations and a lot comes directly from Doug's pockets. The money that he gets from his products is split between supporting Doug, alowing him to do what he does and The ETS Foundation. It is also implied that any one standing up for Doug is sucking up. Doug owes me nothing!

username
You are doing the right thing. Try several knives and find the right one that fits you. I have a safe full of knives some partially serrated, some fully serrated and the winner for me was a RSK MK1 non serrated blade.

#159788 - 12/24/08 06:27 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: username_5]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Yes.

111mm one handed Victorinox. Has a fantastic saw and the blade will do any slicing/skinning/feather sticking chore you ask of it.

The RSK 1 is a good knife but it needs to be paired with a decent multitool for maximum effectivness.

#159794 - 12/24/08 07:12 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just curious ... what do you use your multitool for?

I've been bringing my LM Charge Ti with me while camping for maybe two years now and I haven't really found myself using it much.

My most commonly used tools are my RSK Mk1 folder (mostly because its with me all the time - I pefer using the Mk3)), my fixed Mk3 (mostly cooking and fire-prep), a saw (for cutting medium-sized wood), and a small axe (for splitting the medium-sized wood, stripping branches, and other fire-prep).

I keep bringing the LM just in case I need it. I figure as soon as I don't bring it along, then I'll need it.

Merry Christmas Everyone! And if Christmas isn't your thing, then happy holidays and I hope your new year brings peace, prosperity, and good health for you and your loved ones.

Ken K.

#159796 - 12/24/08 07:17 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...what do you use your multitool for?..."

I EDC my Wave, and use something on it daily. I am constantly tightening a screw, twisting something with the pliers, using the pliers to dig something small out of a spot I can't get my fingers into, cutting wire, you name it. I couldn't live without it...

#159798 - 12/24/08 07:23 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
In an urban environment there are lots of uses for a multitool. I take my LM in the wild mostly for the pliers. It has more grip than my fingers do, esp on hot surfaces or something else I don't want to touch directly. I could probably just take a pair of pliers instead for all that it really matters.
I EDC a skeletool because I never cared much for the tiny ass saws on multitools. I do wish it had a file though.

#159806 - 12/24/08 08:58 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Smash,

Rather then responding to individuals via PM, why don't you respond to them here on in the open?

You post appears to be an subtle attack on both Doug and the members who post here, especially those of us who own and like his knives... if that wasn't your intention then why don't you clear it up?

#159809 - 12/24/08 09:06 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: username_5]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Originally Posted By: username_5
just curious what this not at all biased group thinks smile

for the money is there a better folder for overall hunting/survival use?

Username_5,
like many have said before, it is going to depend on your application and personal preference. I personally like the RSK Mk1 for a "survival knife". I have done a number of survival related tasks with it and it has always accomplished the tasks as well or better then other similar sized knives. So to answer your question; No, for me there is no better knife that I have found for survival use for the money.

I do usually pair my RSK with a Leatherman Wave or Charge, the combination give me a wide range of tools in two small packages that weight next to nothing.

#159814 - 12/24/08 09:34 PM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the money? [Re: Alan_Romania]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The problem with the Victorinox locking folders, like the one hand trekker and the forester, isn't the saw or the excellent locking screwdriver.

The problem is that their main tools, the knives, are pretty mediocre. They aren't very sharp and don't sharpen up well. They'll go right thru butter on a hot day, but that's about it.

#159833 - 12/25/08 12:48 AM Re: is there a better folder than rsk1 for the mon [Re: ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Smash? Uhmmmm, "observation" is misspelled in the second line of the fourth paragraph from the bottom. I won't say anything about "wasn't" on the same line........

Smile Smash! It's Crhistmas, er uh Christmas Eve!!!! ((( laugh )))

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Stretch (12/25/08 12:49 AM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.