Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#159760 - 12/24/08 03:12 PM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

...I am pretty lucky, I have purchased chains for every vehicle I have owned since the early '70's, and never had to put them on. Sure as heck, first time I don't own chains I will need them...

Yep, Tire chains in the car, rain gear on the motorcycle. As long as they are there you will never need them. Be gone 5 min from the house without and a freak blizzard / rainstorm is on the way NOW.

Edited by Desperado (12/24/08 03:17 PM)

RIP OBG

#159787 - 12/24/08 06:25 PM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: UncleGoo]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
That is a pretty small truck. A problem with pickup trucks is they are too light in the back and have no traction on the rear wheels.
A couple of bags of coarse sand and a shovel will likely do more to get you unstuck on icy or snowy roads than chains.
The sand should be in bags that keep it dry, if it gets wet it can freeze. A bit of salt in it can prevent that too.
The shovel can dig you out of a snowdrift, spread sand and if you do get stuck on ice it will chip the edge away from the little hole you melted in the ice by uselessly spinning your tires..
Snowtires are a help, If you need them get the all-season radials. They look just like regular tire but are more grippy.
A lot of the people with small trucks use mud and snow tread tires all year here.
~northern Alberta~

#159801 - 12/24/08 07:34 PM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: MDinana]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Interestingly, folks in cold weather climates don't use them (?!?!) I don't get it. I never saw them once, living in Pennsylvania, Michigan

I grew up and learned to drive in Michigan, and I never even saw tire chains until I moved to Seattle. For the flatter states, if you know what you are doing and have snow tires, they really aren't necessary. In mountain passes, however, they are great!

I just checked the code, and in Michigan they are actually illegal unless the road is completely covered by snow/ice. The law states that they are "not allowed to come in contact with the surface of the road," because they tear the hell out of it.

There are also counties in Wisconsin that do not use any road salt on secondary roads. They might put out some dirt, but the state doesn't want the salt eating the roads and the taxpayers agree wholeheartedly. You have to just slow down.

Edited by jaywalke (12/24/08 07:36 PM)

#159804 - 12/24/08 08:06 PM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: jaywalke]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We have a friend who lives about 50 miles from Telluride, CO. She makes the commute daily, and never puts chains on. That is sure not flatland, but she has lived in that area for 'bout 20 years. Lots of snow, never chains up...

#160086 - 12/27/08 01:20 AM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Myself and Rantor ALWAYS carry link chains in our vehicles but I can not remember a time that we have had to put them on except in conditions that we were off the beaten track. However, with that said, we also carry a shovel, cold weather gear, extra weight in the back for traction and our vehicles are set up for getting through DEEP snow (winches, snatch blocks etc...).

I have seen and heard of I-70 in Colorado being closed to vehicles unless they are 4 wheel drive or have chains. Now with that said, refer to the post above that said to have chains / cable for all four wheels. This is a pretty important piece of advice. Because if you only have chains for the back of your truck you will get it moving - that part is the fun part! The not so fun part is if you didnt chain your FRONT wheels. These are the wheels that are important to keep from sliding so they will allow you to turn and stop! Stop power is much more important to me then go power.

Just my 2 cents...

#160108 - 12/27/08 03:42 AM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: epirider]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: epirider
Myself and Rantor ALWAYS carry link chains in our vehicles but I can not remember a time that we have had to put them on except in conditions that we were off the beaten track. However, with that said, we also carry a shovel, cold weather gear, extra weight in the back for traction and our vehicles are set up for getting through DEEP snow (winches, snatch blocks etc...).

I have seen and heard of I-70 in Colorado being closed to vehicles unless they are 4 wheel drive or have chains. Now with that said, refer to the post above that said to have chains / cable for all four wheels. This is a pretty important piece of advice. Because if you only have chains for the back of your truck you will get it moving - that part is the fun part! The not so fun part is if you didnt chain your FRONT wheels. These are the wheels that are important to keep from sliding so they will allow you to turn and stop! Stop power is much more important to me then go power.

Just my 2 cents...

I can personally verify the chains requirement on I-70 up to 1993. I was turned back from the Eisenhower tunnel due to no chains. I was westbound and was able to go back to some town and pay 5 times the normal price for 4 wheels worth of chains.

RIP OBG

#160138 - 12/27/08 01:11 PM Re: what about Tire Chains? [Re: Desperado]
Homer_Simpson Offline

Chains seem to be a thing on the west coast of the US, the upper mid west you never see them and actually don't think they are allowed on our highway system.

If it's warm enough for ice like it is today they just salt and sand the hell out of the road and wait for it to get cold enough to snow to cover up the whole mess. easier to drive on packed snow than ice

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.