Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#159732 - 12/24/08 01:49 AM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ToddW
I have a designated generator room, enclosed, and plan to insulate it actually too. ......

-Todd

Cool, just must have read into the comment. I would hate for someone to forget and not get the CO out properly.

Thanks for letting me know.

RIP OBG

#159741 - 12/24/08 04:03 AM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Ok, maybe room was the wrong term. I have an "out building" specifically designed for a generator... I had one there when I bought my house then some jerk stole it!! This was literally the day after I got my keys.

So, anyway, right now I just have some stuff stored in there, and my well pressure tank. It has mounts, and wiring for running the generator though when I can afford my next one smile I`ll insulate it, and make it a lil more sound-proof too smile

#159780 - 12/24/08 05:21 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Ok, maybe room was the wrong term. I have an "out building" specifically designed for a generator... I had one there when I bought my house then some jerk stole it!! This was literally the day after I got my keys.

So, anyway, right now I just have some stuff stored in there, and my well pressure tank. It has mounts, and wiring for running the generator though when I can afford my next one smile I`ll insulate it, and make it a lil more sound-proof too smile

I'd suggest when you do insulate you use the fiberglass/foil ductboard that is used in HVAC construction. It's heavily heat resistant and nothing on it can burn. Paperback insulation would, clearly. I have a plywood generator box on wheels that I built for my portable generator. Allows me to wheel the generator out in stormy weather and keep it covered. To cut down on sound I used liquid nails and lined the interior of the box with 1" ductboard. Barely can hear the thing now. It's got a lot of venting for heat reduction and exhaust escape and still....damned quiet.

It sounds like you have done work `around the house` so I would trust you know that drywall is non-flammable (yet the paper backing is) like the vapor barrier of the insulation, and the wood they cover/surround. Also, I would never insulate something and not put drywall on it... kind of pointless to have 'pockets of warm air' or use them to reduce sound if it's not backed by the thick drywall to aid in sound deadening, fire proof, and insulating.

IzzyJG99- I'm pretty sure you are here to help but sometimes your posts come across as if think you know it all and like to presume we are morons and can't think for ourselves.

Personally making a generator box out of plywood even with a barrier of 1" on it seems like a TERRIBLE idea, probably why the factory and after market industry doesn't make generator boxes out of wood... they use steel or aluminum wink I am also concerned for your safety with a wood box housing a gasoline engine.

Edited by ToddW (12/24/08 05:21 PM)

#159786 - 12/24/08 06:14 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Def. no hard feelings smile Everyone needs a shake up now and then, myself included.

#160846 - 01/02/09 03:07 AM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: snoman]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> I'm just wondering if it's wise to depend on an emergency fuel source
> that you have no control over.

Shrug - tell me what emergency fuel source you have control over?

If the power is out, can you get gas from the gas station? I think their pumps are electric, the credit card machine is electric, the cash register is electric.

Think of Katrina -- what fuel source was anyone in control over in New Orleans?

I lived on farms for years that had propane or butane for our fuel. This was in Texas, and we never had any storm or other event that kept deliveries from being made - no blizzards, hurricanes, or earthquakes. The guys came out in a truck and refilled our propane tank or butane tank.

My reason for suggesting that article is that a tank of propane won't go bad as fast as a tank of gasoline that sits out there for a year or two when I forget to siphon it out and use it in my car and refill the tank with fresh gasoline.

#160870 - 01/02/09 02:03 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: philip]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: philip
>tell me what emergency fuel source you have control over?

I'd think having your 'emergency fuel source' on hand where you live would be an important consideration, e.g.: a wood-burning stove or fireplace and a few cords of firewood, a propane heater and a large propane tank or two, a kerosene heater and a barrel of kerosene, etc. I think electricity is a poor choice to rely on in an emergency since it is so easily disrupted.
That being said, a lot of people simply don't have a choice in the matter. Apartment dwellers or someone who's home is powered exclusively by electricity are two such examples. People who live in apartments are bound by their lease and the law as to what is allowed in their apartment, such as space heaters, and the space to store fuel to power such devices. Also, since electricity is so easy to lose, quite a few people (who's home is mostly electrical) are going the generator route. My city allows a maximum of two 5-gallon containers of gas to be stored. That isn't going to last very long in a generator. So, your choices are obey the law and go dark in 3-4 days or ignore the law and store a larger amount of fuel, something incredibly dangerous, at least in the case of gasoline, and something many people will still do!
I can pretty much guarantee that if, for whatever reason, your local firefighters have to show up at your house and find two or three 55-gallon drums of gasoline in an attached garage, they're not going to be happy, nor will your insurance agent.

#160912 - 01/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: snoman]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

My local propane company said they wouldn't up my size to 500g unless I re-filled my 250g at least 2x a year. Having propane for only cooking and hot water I will not even refill it once in a year. (I pay <$60/yr for the lease).

The other option in the future is to buy a 500g tank for a few hundred. Or maybe a 1000g tank if I can get a deal.

Edited by ToddW (01/02/09 07:10 PM)

#160913 - 01/02/09 07:13 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

If you buy a tank, get a copy of the test documents, or no deal. The fuel supplier may want it if they didn't provide (sell) you the tank. You may find they will at least negotiate a reduced price on the tank if you buy it from them. I am surprised you use so little. Most of my homeowners that are on propane use MUCH more.

RIP OBG

#160915 - 01/02/09 07:17 PM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
If you buy a tank, get a copy of the test documents, or no deal. The fuel supplier may want it if they didn't provide (sell) you the tank. You may find they will at least negotiate a reduced price on the tank if you buy it from them. I am surprised you use so little. Most of my homeowners that are on propane use MUCH more.

Do they heat with propane?
Have families?

2 of us, instant hot water (on demand, much less usage than a standard tank) and a gas cook-top. That's it.

I asked about purchasing a tank from my current company and they wanted $800 for the 250g tank.. I told them no thanks!

I may be able to convince them to get me a 2nd tank as I could use one for my 'in-laws quarters' we plan to make above the garage and one for the house. (This is all in the way future right now)

Thanks for the advice about the documents.

Edited by ToddW (01/02/09 07:18 PM)

#160961 - 01/03/09 12:56 AM Re: Cool Tools review of _big_ generator for house [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Yes they do heat, but only part of the house. There are only two of them, but they wouldn't pony up for the tankless water heaters.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.