Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#159651 - 12/23/08 11:39 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Wise advice,,,thanks, Sue.

I forgot to mention that if we have to Bug Out, I also put the dogs' shirts and coats into the BoB, during the winter.

We store their shirts and coats in their BoB box during the warm months.

#159652 - 12/23/08 12:21 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Wouldn't canned cat food store for a very long time? Since I have four, plus two dogs, the OP has inspired me. We do reserves on hand, but there's room for improvement.

Keep in mind that changing a pet's food can result in "unpleasant" side effects under normal conditions, much less a stressed situation. Those side effects can add to your own stress also. I send this as one of my German Shepherds just left me a airborne "gift".

RIP OBG

#159740 - 12/24/08 03:40 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
+1 on the diet change.

I know many people buy food according to advertising or price tag. Reading the ingredients can be a help. The cheap foods start their ingredient list with things like corn, corn meal, wheat, barley, etc. That kind of stuff is really chicken feed, filler, not dog food, and they tend to pass through undigested. Those ingredients tend to produce a lot of "airborne gifts" and large, ploppy stools, maybe not what you would want in limited survival quarters. FWIW.

Sue

#159898 - 12/25/08 03:38 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Susan]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
+1 sue...premium foods mean healthier animals and FAR less cleanup as well as other...<AHEM> "issues". Plus you feed less, carry less food, and buy far less often.

#159908 - 12/25/08 04:55 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: yeti]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: yeti
+1 sue...premium foods mean healthier animals and FAR less cleanup as well as other...<AHEM> "issues". Plus you feed less, carry less food, and buy far less often.

To give you an idea on the amount of savings possible look to this example....

My mother-in-law adopted a German Shepherd that was headed for euthanasia that day. She started her on "W4l-M4r7" store brand until I could get up there to take a look at her. Once I moved her to a high quality diet that was actually 3 times (or more) the cost for a same size bag the overall food bill went down. The pup didn't need as much kibble to get the nutrients she needed and the "full" feeling she wanted.

It may be counterintuitive, but QUALITY food that is more expensive will in the long run reduce your food bill. Unless you have a Siberian Husky like my wife's dog. She does not understand when to say when. Looks like a grey and white fluffy sausage with legs.

RIP OBG

#159917 - 12/25/08 06:34 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Desperado]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
We have "strange" dietary requirements for out cats

The two "Old" cats have chronic renal failure (CRF), and have to have CRF food, Saussi is/was a very picky eater, particularly when stressed - in fact, he almost died when we brought him home in October due to not eating. Saussi and Suiki - brothers - belonged to my wife's best friend, who was also MY best Friends Mom (yes, my wife's best friend was older than any of our parents). Helen died the last week of September, and we took he cats (as we promised to do 5 years ago when she adopted the kittens)

Anyway, cat food wise, we have the special CRF food, the regular kibble (which all 4 cats love - even though the fun is keeping the 2 old cats out of it, while allowing Saussi 24/7 access), plus Saussi's canned food (which his brother loves too) - along with a ringers lactate set to do sub-q fluids on the old cats
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#159936 - 12/26/08 12:06 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: KG2V]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I had the opposite problem - I could not keep the 2 well cats out of the CRF food. So they all ate it, mixed with regular food. Now 2 out of the 3 need the CRF, so it all worked out - no dietary changes.
On another note, that brings to mind that not only might you need to have your pets medicine in a pet kit, but also provisions for refrigerating some of that medicine. Last week I started giving twice daily insulin shots to one of the cats. That insulin needs to be refrigerated or it dies. And since it has a relatively short shelf life, you can't just get some and keep it on hand for an extended "just in case" scenario.

#160302 - 12/28/08 04:10 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I got a large plastic box (15-20 gal size), with a lid, for my pet's BoB and 2 Pet Carriers.

I am looking for some packs that would fit the dogs, although they are small (Boston Terrier mixed breeds), they can carry some of their own gear.

Give me some time for packs as I may have a source if I can find her. Kinda flaky lady but makes good quality gear when she isn't sampling the 'shrooms and going to the latest "convention". Really worried about asking what the "convention" is.

Since Boston Terriers are kinda small it's hard to find ready made stuff, but try REI if I fail.

Bo,

Uh, Uhem, well ya see...

I don't think we will be seeing the flaky lady for a while. Seems to have fallen off the face of the planet. While not unusual, there were remnants of crime scene tape on the door to her accommodations. I suspect she was "cooking" in addition to sewing (always suspected something) and got caught. Either that or something worse happened which would be sad, but not unusual for that area.

Try REI online

RIP OBG

#168584 - 03/04/09 04:15 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Desperado]
Shreela Offline
Stranger

Loc: Houston
Mylar blanket to retain body heat during cold weather, and deflect heat in hot weather.

Fan and spray bottle of water.

Pets got very hot while evac'ing Rita. Temps were high 90s, maybe even 100s; traffic was very slow or not moving at all, so no wind to cool them, and the truck overheated if running the AC while in park for long periods of time. I sprayed their tummies and used a small towel to apply water to their ears, then fanned them. We sprayed ourselves a lot too. My dog-show friend is the one that suggested the mylar blankets.

#168592 - 03/04/09 12:15 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Shreela]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Shreela
Mylar blanket to retain body heat during cold weather, and deflect heat in hot weather.

Fan and spray bottle of water.

Pets got very hot while evac'ing Rita. Temps were high 90s, maybe even 100s; traffic was very slow or not moving at all, so no wind to cool them, and the truck overheated if running the AC while in park for long periods of time. I sprayed their tummies and used a small towel to apply water to their ears, then fanned them. We sprayed ourselves a lot too. My dog-show friend is the one that suggested the mylar blankets.

There's a new poster on the forum. Welcome, please stick around for a while.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.