Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#159435 - 12/22/08 01:18 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: wildman800]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I got a large plastic box (15-20 gal size), with a lid, for my pet's BoB and 2 Pet Carriers.

I am looking for some packs that would fit the dogs, although they are small (Boston Terrier mixed breeds), they can carry some of their own gear.

Give me some time for packs as I may have a source if I can find her. Kinda flaky lady but makes good quality gear when she isn't sampling the 'shrooms and going to the latest "convention". Really worried about asking what the "convention" is.

Since Boston Terriers are kinda small it's hard to find ready made stuff, but try REI if I fail.

RIP OBG

#159440 - 12/22/08 01:42 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Desperado]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks!!!!

#159444 - 12/22/08 01:48 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: wildman800]
Jakam
Unregistered

Yep one of my BOG's is a cat evac with food, litter, first aid kit (pet specific), litter box, and dishes.

Their vaccine and health records are with our other important papers for evac.

#159474 - 12/22/08 11:48 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: MDinana]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Lots of folks are allergic to cats, and if you're stuck in a shelter with someone, they might appreciate the thoughtfulness.

I thought pets weren't allowed in shelters?

#159476 - 12/22/08 12:17 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: wildman800]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: wildman800

I am looking for some packs that would fit the dogs, although they are small (Boston Terrier mixed breeds), they can carry some of their own gear.

Kelty makes a dog pack that fits my JRT who's about 22 lbs and 8-10" high at the shoulder. One thing I've read is that dogs shouldn't carry more than 10% of their body weight. My dog's pack carries a couple days of food, waste bags and a spare leash. I carry an extra water bottle with a built in trough for the dog.

By the way, a little dog with a backpack really makes women go "Oh, isn't he cute?", the dog, not me...

#159484 - 12/22/08 01:05 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: Andy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That sounds good. 2 water bottles and some food would do my older dog (the KING of our animal kingdom) and would also be right for the younger dog (the Court Jester, Heir to the Throne of our animal kingdom)!!

#159493 - 12/22/08 02:33 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: snoman]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: snoman
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Lots of folks are allergic to cats, and if you're stuck in a shelter with someone, they might appreciate the thoughtfulness.

I thought pets weren't allowed in shelters?

Since Katrina, most of the agencies have some designated "pet friendly" shelters
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#159514 - 12/22/08 04:25 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: KG2V]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The "Pets Evacuation and Transport Standards Act of 2006" or PETS Act of 2006 requires "plans that take into account the needs of individuals with pets and service animals prior to, during and following a major disaster or emergency".

This is another example of the increasing awareness of "special needs" and a migration towards an "all populuations" hazard. "Special Needs" has been renamed "Universal Access" in Connecticut because of this. Note that "Special Needs" includes:

Quote:
The term disability does not apply just to people whose disabilities are noticeable, such as wheelchair users and people who are blind or deaf. The term also applies to people with heart disease, emotional or psychiatric conditions, arthritis, significant allergies, asthma, multiple chemical sensitivities, respiratory conditions, and some visual, hearing, and cognitive disabilities.

http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/2005/saving_lives.htm

#159531 - 12/22/08 05:47 PM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: ki4buc]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Gotta jump in before reading the entire thread.

Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp - don't worry about the chuckles. It is a real issue. To me, family is family no matter how many legs, fins, wings, or scales one has.

We have adapted all kits to contain some dog items. All cars have grooming aids, leads, 2 stainless steel bowls, and extra collars AND harnesses.

We have a Bug Out Bag which includes all of those items, 4 SS bowls, as well as a couple of sweaters (dog is VERY short-haired & doesn't have much fur, a floatation vest, a couple LED collars, some FAK items, tick-key, and both outdoor and indoor TOYS...the latter is very important for keeping stress down. We also have a couple of small fleece blankets as well as carry more blankets in each car. We have a colding crate for times when we'll need to be away from home. Our dog has full run of the house at home. We can't count on that on the road. Also add some cleaning liquid in a secure bottle and some sponges so we can wash stuff.

We bought a good number of tags with info from http://www.pettags.com/ . They last a LONG time and work well as zipper pulls in addition to ID on harnesses and collars. We have them on the BOB as well as on each of our own and the car kits. We get the plastic ones and round-shaped. More text can be put onto the round plastic shapes than any of the others. We get them printed on BOTH sides with pertinent info (different each side). VERY handy indeed though thankfully we haven't had to fully test the system. BTW, those tags are also handy for HUMAN info on your other items.

We're in the process of putting together a first aid meds kit which will also include things like heartguard and frontline. I abhor plastic so I'm looking for smaller containers which might be a metal that wouldn't react with meds.

Bags for dog cleanup. Even if you're out away from folks, if you don't cleanup, those night walks could be messy...as well as tent re-entry or going back into the car/hotel/house.

We have an Elizabethan collar (neck cone) in there as well just in case an injury or rash or something might make the dog chew, excessively lick, chew out stitches, etc.

We love the Guyot Designs standard bottles (http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles) and not only do we use them DAILY but we have one packed for pooch and a water carrier should it be needed. A little overkill, but something SERIOUS would have to happen before a Guyot bottle was rendered unusable.

We do find ourselves robbing/using the kits fairly regularly as we frequently change plans and may stay somewhere or need a water bowl, etc.

BTW, many of the above do have multiple functions/uses built-in. ..even for the two-legged crowd.

I'm working on pictures for the cars and BOBs now. I've been taking shots of all sides and anywhere there is a mark or spot. I'll evaluate and make composite sheets with printed text. A friend suggested a "missing" poster/page ready to go wih a little fill-in-the-blank info to be added later. I hadn't considered it before but it seems like it would be very good for both the house and the kits since time is a real issue.

Edited by yeti (12/22/08 05:51 PM)

#159642 - 12/23/08 06:16 AM Re: Pet Evacuation Kit [Re: yeti]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Regarding packs for dogs to wear: Please don't attempt to put packs on breeds known for spinal problems, like Dachshunds and Cocker Spaniels. Try to keep the majority of the weight near the shoulders.

And get them used to wearing one before actual need arises.

Sue

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.