Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156701 - 11/30/08 11:38 PM Attention EMS & First Responders (3 Parts Inside)
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
First, I hope everyone had a safe and slow holiday weekend as I remember what it could be like out there.

Second . . .

To those that show up on scene and find "Joe Citizen" has all but expended his MAJOR blood stopping supplies and offer to replenish his kit (even partially),
a VERY BIG THANK YOU!!!!!

Everyone hang on, I am about to rant, let me find my soapbox...
It has taken me since Wednesday to calm down and I am editing as I go (family site, don't ya' know)

Yeah I know, I am the one who decided to stop and render aid and all that, but is it that hard to throw a guy a bone?

If any of the folks on I-35 in southern Oklahoma read this, I want them to know that one of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troopers tried to do just that from the small kit he keeps in his car.

The young "expert" from some private "bambulance" company (miss-spell intentional) could not get off his high horse long enough to even lend some hand wash to my son (17) where his gloves tore through.
But he did have time to remove the tourniquet from the completely severed leg of one person we found in the roadway (ejected from bed of pick-up)!

Please don't get me started on the TOTAL lack of C-Spine care etc.

It was a trying weekend.

I had to burn the clothes my son and I were wearing and thank god I had the 5th wheel behind us. It allowed wife to care for non-injured in some safety, and son and I to shower.

OK Rant over.

Third:
Anyone got a good on-line source for bulk blood stopping stuff? Not to mention small consumables, I have discovered many things were out of date when repacking the two kits. (single dose stuff)

Son will be visiting with a friend who is a professional counselor again tomorrow. (Thanks Wildman800)

Edited by Desperado (12/01/08 02:08 AM)
Edit Reason: Change Name

RIP OBG

#156708 - 12/01/08 01:38 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I must have missed parts one and two somehow.

I have seen more than one ambulance in CA replace used supplies at the scene. They just add the charge onto the patients bill. I have given lots of state issued EMT supplies to folks who stopped to help. Nothing in policy covered that, I just did it 'cuz it was the right thing to do...

#156714 - 12/01/08 02:16 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Three parts in one. Some day I swear I am going to repaint the F350 and 5th Wheel like a EMS vehicle. Let me hit one highway and considerations of true EMT / Paramedic training comes closer to mind.

RIP OBG

#156720 - 12/01/08 03:12 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Desperado-
As a "bambulance" driver at one time myself... he should have restocked you. Call the company and complain to the shift manager. I've been refilled a few different times when I helped out first. Also, it's probably appropriate to complain about the patient care - Cspine, tourniquet removal, etc. You might be within rights to call the state EMS agency and reporting him.

Second... I35 is nasty. PLEASE make sure you know what's going on when you stop on the freeway - vehicle positioning, safety warnings, don't get nailed by some yahoo on a cell phone. I've wiped out there myself once.

For bulk, I always just run to Galls, but you can probably just google "EMS supplies" or something similar, as Galls can be pricey. Bulk 4x4s are dirt cheap, abd pads are pretty cheap too. Of course, any friends in a FD or hospital help too. Sometimes, Sportsmans Guide has some first aid supplies for cheap.

#156721 - 12/01/08 03:48 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I used the term "bambulance" due to the fact I grew up in small town Oklahoma, and we used that term for the guy that should have been a driver only, as-in:

"OK Joe-Bob, you got us here nice and safe, now you stay in the truck while we go help these folks"

Now I am not knocking all EMS folks up there (related to many), but whew, what a scene.

As a reserve deputy (in the old days) in a county astride I-35, I have had more time on the side of the Highway than I EVER wanted. You would be amazed how fast my fat a-- can vault over a car into the ditch.

A Ford F350 with a 40' 5th wheel travel trailer parked at an angle blocks a hell of a lot of traffic.

I found Red Flare and MFASCO on-line. Great pricing, and cheap shipping.

Since I have established a nest egg that will allow me to live off of interest w/o changing lifestyle, I am considering EMT1 to Paramedic training at night as an add on skill, while looking for a new gig.

Guess I should have been a Medic opposed to MP in the army.

RIP OBG

#156800 - 12/02/08 12:27 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Desperado-
As a "bambulance" driver at one time myself... he should have restocked you. Call the company and complain to the shift manager. I've been refilled a few different times when I helped out first. Also, it's probably appropriate to complain about the patient care - Cspine, tourniquet removal, etc. You might be within rights to call the state EMS agency and reporting him.

Second... I35 is nasty. PLEASE make sure you know what's going on when you stop on the freeway - vehicle positioning, safety warnings, don't get nailed by some yahoo on a cell phone. I've wiped out there myself once.

For bulk, I always just run to Galls, but you can probably just google "EMS supplies" or something similar, as Galls can be pricey. Bulk 4x4s are dirt cheap, abd pads are pretty cheap too. Of course, any friends in a FD or hospital help too. Sometimes, Sportsmans Guide has some first aid supplies for cheap.

Well I decided to contact the county the accident happened in to determine who to discuss this issue with.

After a lengthy run around, I found someone who was in a position of responsibility.

Turns out this was a "manpower issue" for the EMS company. The individual that made most (not all) of the grievous errors was indeed only supposed to drive the bus. He will soon be undergoing EMT1 training, but the company is way understaffed, and they sent him to help. Had the scene not been such a mess, the two trained EMS folks would not have lost track of him the way they did.

As far as the restock I just let it go. They offered to let me stop by next time I was in that area and they would help me out, but we only go that way occasionally so not worth it.

Obviously, the restock was not such a big deal as the untrained young man was.

I really don't think him removing the tourniquet was cause for the end result on that individual anyway. His outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Thanks for the ideas about calling the state and the company involved.

RIP OBG

#156802 - 12/02/08 12:53 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Desperado

The individual that made most (not all) of the grievous errors was indeed only supposed to drive the bus. He will soon be undergoing EMT1 training, but the company is way understaffed, and they sent him to help. Had the scene not been such a mess, the two trained EMS folks would not have lost track of him the way they did.

I hope he had some kind of training...

#156809 - 12/02/08 01:33 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Nishnabotna]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not necessarily. I think in CA it's still on the books that a "driver" doesn't need formal EMS training. that being said, I think they aren't supposed to be touching patients either!

Not sure about other states, but the phrase "ambulance driver" is around for a reason smile

#156819 - 12/02/08 02:50 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: MDinana]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I'm curious, what actually happened?

John E.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#156825 - 12/02/08 03:16 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: JohnE]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Desparado,

The untrained driver should have stayed in the bus, and I'd think it is likely he will at least get a tongue lashing. On the other hand, if he thought he was doing good, was trying to do and in reality did little harm, I would not want it to go that far.

However, your family should get a round of applause. I find too few people today are of the mindset to stop and help when they see someone in trouble.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.