Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#158572 - 12/16/08 01:09 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: KenK]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: KenK
Agreed!! Speed kills.

Last night, a speeding car looses control and is almost split in half when it hits a large tree. Two 18 year olds killed and four others seriously hurt.

Tragic to be sure, and I don't mean to sound insensitive but it was poor driving skills that caused this accident, not simply the fact that one can push down on a gas pedal. Poor judgement kills.

#158573 - 12/16/08 01:53 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: yeti]
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
Here's are my notable winter driving tales, both involve my tenure at my southern U. S. alma mater:

1. My dorm was at the bottom of a pretty good hill, across from my room are a row of sorority houses (good location) and in between are a small parking lot and a road. One cold January day I was studying at my desk and noticed that it has begun to sleet. Just then I heard a car begin to slide. I looked out the window just in tome to see a car slide into the bumper of a single axle delivery truck. The driver, who is uninjured, gets out to survey the damage. A few minutes, the campus police and a tow truck arrive and take care of the situation. Not five minutes later (and it is still sleeting) I get to watch an instant replay - bang.

2. My college transport was a 1971 Datsun 510 pickup. It was reliable, but it had a weak heater/defroster. On the day I leave to go home for the Christmas holidays, it was a nasty day - sleet with ice pellets and windy. Not the greatest day to be driving a lightly loaded pickup with recap tires. I was having a devil of a time keeping the windshield clear, (I had to stop twice to scrape it off) and several times resorted to driving half on the gravel shoulder to maintain traction and control. So, what should I see coming around a corner but a Ferrari 308! Seriously. What kind on an idiot drives a Ferrari on a day like that.

#158574 - 12/16/08 01:56 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As anyone in emergency services will tell you, the 10 day window centered on Xmas is THE WORST for Motor Vehicle Accidents.

Two years ago, on Christmas eve, at about 5:00 PM we got a call for an overturned vehicle on the River Road. There was an icy patch.

Cleaned that up by 5:45, we started to drive back to station, I'm looking in my rear view as we pull away - a Jeep Cherokee flips as I'm watching, WHAM into the embankment, same spot as before.

We clear that one up lay down about 4,000 lbs of salt and sand, get back to the station at 6:45, my coffee isn't even done brewing - pagers go off - AGAIN a flipped car, same spot.

We ended up getting 7 flipped vehicles in that spot Christmas eve. 100% of them were from too-fast drivers.

Most of the fatal wrecks I've worked have been in mid-December.

Most of the major trauma wrecks I work are in December.

#158575 - 12/16/08 02:14 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My oldest has been in two roll-over wrecks from driving too fast in bad conditions. She walked away from both, after totalling the cars. Sometimes they just have to learn the hard way, and all you can do is hope and pray they survive it. Both mistakes were completely avoidable just by a little planning and deciding that going home the day before during decent weather and without being rushed was better than sticking around one more night to party with friends.

Now she is over-cautious about her travel plans, which is a good thing because she is with the younger daughter now as well, and her wariness is keeping them both safer and considerate.

#158578 - 12/16/08 02:34 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
In Illinois, apparently road salt is in limited supply. All roads are being salted far less than last year.

The only sane things to do are to slow down, or avoid driving as much as possible when conditions are ripe for accidents.

We are bracing for 6 more inches of snow tonight...

#158579 - 12/16/08 02:39 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: GarlyDog]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was coming out of downtown on I71 last year and it goes up a hill and is a 55mph section with a lot of merges and such. Lexus with the blue blinding hid lights comes up behind me fast and starts to change into the left lane to pass when it turns sideways and goes straight to the right, I was able to see the side of it clearly.
Couple years before that a saw one of the little WV cars spinning around in circles and they had a tv ad running around that time that showed it spinning around in circles and flying around like a UFO.
When i was in college we had a camaro turn sideways in front of uss and I was able to cut into the right lane from the center lane and pass him as he slid down the left two lanes, he was facing us at the time looking out his windhsield into my side window so my room mate smiles and waved.

#158582 - 12/16/08 03:18 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
7:30 this morning(12-16-08) a 60ish female talking on her cellphone with family driving her car to get on the freeway
Family hears shout, phone goes dead, she rear ended a parked truck
She is in critical condition at local hospital
U.H.P. says she was so distracted she didn't even hit her brakes.

Update: the truck was parked in the emergency lane, up against the guard rail

Edited by kd7fqd (12/16/08 06:25 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot info, and UPDATE

#158583 - 12/16/08 03:30 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: kd7fqd]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen some bad ones too, not even snow related. One lady drove her minivan right through the middle of a Honda minivan, broke it in half, child seats in the center.
I saw soneone in a Bonneville rear end a Honda on the highway and the front wheels of the Bonneville were in the back seat of the Honda pinning the driver to the steering wheel. Then pulled the bonneville out and had to drag the honda up on the flatbed in peices.
Saw a guy in a small Honda, older one that looked like a station wagon in back but was two doors tried to cut across a 35mph street and was hit in the passenger door by an old Chevy S10 blazer. The Honda flew up into a yard and the passeger side of the car hit the driver, glad there was no one in the pasenger seat. The blazer had a bent bumper and cracked grill.
I'be gotten to where I won't even ride in a Honda, seen way too many of those cause driver injury in what should have been a minor accident, sure it can happen to any vehicle but seem to happen too much to Hondas.

#158586 - 12/16/08 03:34 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: yeti]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
Another thing is if you tow please make sure that the trailer is attached correctly. We had a fatal incedent yesterday that involved a run away trailer crossing the center of a four lane road and hitting a car.

#158587 - 12/16/08 03:45 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: CAP613]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We had one of those a couple months ago. I was almost within site of it, traffic came to a stop and I turned on the cb and in a little bit someone said there was an accident.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.