Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159390 - 12/21/08 04:35 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: OIMO]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
When I am looking for flashlight I consider only AA/AAA flashlights too. I am waiting for Novatac to release their new 2 x AA flashlight (this December?) so maybe it will be my choice in not so distant future. Or something from Fenix.

NovaTac Classic 2 x AA

#159391 - 12/21/08 04:58 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: raptor]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: raptor
When I am looking for flashlight I consider only AA/AAA flashlights too. I am waiting for Novatac to release their new 2 x AA flashlight (this December?) so maybe it will be my choice in not so distant future. Or something from Fenix.

NovaTac Classic 2 x AA

I'm a flashlight n00b, but how does the Novatac compare to the Fenix lights (i.e. quality, etc).

#159393 - 12/21/08 06:16 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: Kris]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

I am sorry Kris, I cannot compare those two brands. I am not expert on flashlights either nor hard core flashlight enthusiast an/or collector. I just try to do some research, buy something of high quality what I like and gets the job done and then I am done with it for quite a long time. I regard flashlights as tools not as toys.

However from what I have read NovaTac should be very high quality brand maybe even amongst the high-end (I believe the flashlights are manufactured in the USA). Fenix seems to be very good too - my impression is that their electronic they put in their lights is one of the most efficient out there. But I haven´t done any tests - I know this rather from what I have read.

#159398 - 12/21/08 07:36 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: raptor]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Raptor,

Thanks!

Kris

#159412 - 12/21/08 10:05 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: Kris]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

No problem, Kris.

#159418 - 12/21/08 11:20 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: OIMO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: OIMO
What I am really after is something of that level of ruggedness but taking two AA cells. Any suggestions?
It's worth looking at the Nitecore range. I have a PD10 which takes a single AA, which I'm pleased with. The brightness is continuously variable from around 2 lumens up to around 130, with runtimes of 55 hours or 1 hour respectively. It has a piston switch which can be used as a twisty, a clicky or momentary on. It runs on any kind of AA, including rechargeable, lithium, and plain old alkaline. I normally use Eneloop low-self-discharge, and that's what I used for the runtimes I cited.

It's small enough for every day carry, which I do. They also have a 2 AA version which is bigger, and rated at 180 lumens, but I've not tried it myself. The build quality is good, apart from an early batch. It's water-proof.

It's not perfect. Some people can hear a whine from the step-up circuitry; I can hear it on mine if I hold it close to my ear on full brightness, but I can't hear it normally. Younger people may find it worse. I don't think it's an issue with 2 AA because that's starting from a higher voltage. In any case, it's not really a tactical light - no strobes or whatever. The UI is pretty simple if you use it as a single-level light, but could be improved. (I'd rather it had 5 or 6 discrete levels instead of being continuously variable, for example.) The lanyard it comes with is a bit bulky - I took the clip off it and attached it to a lanyard I made myself from paracord inner thread, which I keep in my wallet.

Overall it's a very good light. I'd considered the Fenix lights and rejected them because their dimmest setting isn't very dim. The Nitecore's dim is just enough for reading in bed, or for navigating the house with dark-adapted eyes. The Fenix has a more efficient driver, but because it can't go so low its maximum battery life is shorter. I'd rather have dim, partly because it's useful in its own right and partly because in extremis I want the long battery life. I want bright as well, of course - 130 lumens is brighter than the very expensive, and physically large 2x132 Surefire U2 I bought a couple of years ago.

Running on a single AA is great, too. An hour on bright with rechargeable makes it practical and economical for walking the dog etc. 55 hours on dim makes it a good emergency light if you get trapped in a cave. Lithiums are expensive but have better performance, especially in the cold. I've taken to caching single lithiums in odd places because they are relatively small. And of course you can raid other equipment for alkalines if you have to.

I think this shows how technology has improved in the last two years.

I bought from 4sevens.

Edited by Brangdon (12/21/08 11:22 PM)

#159421 - 12/21/08 11:51 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: ]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That's probably the best picture I've seen in my entire life. 'Scuse me while I drool.

I was going to suggest a NWS header on this tread for that very reason. grin Can't let the boss catch me staring at one page for too long.

#159457 - 12/22/08 03:16 AM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Ken,

I have been carrying a Fenix TK11 (only because the CAN. supplier had no TK10's in-stock) for about 6 months now and have been very impressed with it. I have showed it to a lot of co-workers and they are amazed at the power from such a small light.

Mike

#159492 - 12/22/08 02:31 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: urbansurvivalist]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist

FYI, you can get CR123 batteries for $1 each at batteryjunction.com . Plus you can order them in pairs(or triples) shrink wraped as a stack, to make organization and reloading quicker.

I have no experience with these batteries, but do note that they are made in China. See: www.equipped.org/blog/?p=42

Are these better? Maybe, but given the potential issues, I'll stick with U.S. or Japanese brand name lithiums myself.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#159498 - 12/22/08 02:58 PM Re: Fenix TK10 Light - Chrstmas Gift to Myself [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Ahhh ... point taken. Thanks Doug. I'd forgetten about that article.

New calculations using Sure Fire batteries at $12 for 12 ($1.75 each):

Fenix TK10, High 225 lux: 1.5 hrs, 2 CR123 ==> $2.33/hr
Fenix TK10, Low 60 lux: 10 hrs, 2 CR123 ==> $0.35/hr
P-Tech EOS, High 185 lux: 60 hrs, 3 AAA ==> $0.65/hr
P-Tech EOS, Medium ?? lux: 60 hrs, 3 AAA ==> $0.14/hr
P-Tech EOS, Low 18.5 lux: 60 hrs, 3 AAA ==> $0.03/hr
SL ProPoly 4AA 40 lux: 4 hrs, 4 AA ==> $0.43/hr

The CR123's still reasonably cost effective ... so long as I limit the high power usage. Plus I think they provide a much better flashlight form (length & width of tube).

Ken K.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.