Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#159401 - 12/21/08 07:51 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Thanks Benjammin. 3 lbs. isn't crazy weight for back up stuff.

#159413 - 12/21/08 10:12 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: comms]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, it's a bit of a guesstimate, at that end of the scale, the accuracy probably ain't too reliable.

#159427 - 12/22/08 12:30 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
"Nomex itch?" That I can't say. It feels fine to me. The long underwear "Hotjohns", feels like poly, no itch at all, wear it all day.

Well, maybe itch isn't the right word. They just never felt right.

RIP OBG

#159429 - 12/22/08 12:41 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...maybe itch isn't the right word..."

How 'bout scratchy???

#159445 - 12/22/08 02:11 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Wool is nice, but fleece is cheaper, lighter. I have several of them in my car, and if I happen to take one or two out of their package to keep someone warm (an accident victim or whatever), I won't care as much.

I love my merino wool baselayers but for blankets, I prefer fleece.

#159450 - 12/22/08 02:34 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...maybe itch isn't the right word..."

How 'bout scratchy???

Naw, kinda like a cheap uniform shirt without a t-shirt. Hard to describe, but with the old Nomex L/S shirts we had for climbing poles in the old job, they just never felt good in the summer. With all the advances in textile technology, the problem is surely gone. Don't think I have to worry too much though, that crap is expensive, and I don't plan on going into any burning buildings or working high voltage.

RIP OBG

#159727 - 12/23/08 11:29 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: ducktapeguy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I watched the national news this morning regarding the massive water pipe break in Maryland. Luckily no one was seriously hurt but what immediately came to mind was this exact thread and thinking, "Wool or fleece, as long as I had something in my car to use until help arrived is better than nothing in those conditions."

I appreciate all the feedback this thread has had. Getting everyone's two cents certainly makes me a richer man.

#159758 - 12/24/08 02:59 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: comms]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I watched the national news this morning regarding the massive water pipe break in Maryland. Luckily no one was seriously hurt but what immediately came to mind was this exact thread and thinking, "Wool or fleece, as long as I had something in my car to use until help arrived is better than nothing in those conditions."

In this case, I do not believe ether (wool or fleece blanket) by itself would have made much difference. Getting the people out of the wet clothing and into a warm ambulance was really the only way to prevent severe hypothermia. Blankets, whether wool or fleece will not be very effective, if the body is not producing heat and if the wet clothing is not removed quickly.

If, you are unable to remove the wet clothing and dry a person off, it is best to place a couple of hand warmers with the patient, wrap in a blanket (wool or fleece) and then wrap the person in a vapor barrier (plastic tarp, survival blanket, heat wrap, etc.). You will not be actively rewarming the patient, but will prevent further heat loss.

Pete

#159799 - 12/24/08 07:28 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: comms]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: comms

Very true. While it's fun to discuss the merits and theoretical advanages of different pieces of gear and everyone gets to share their opinion, in the big picture it's not really that critical. Wool vs. fleece, down vs. synthetic, S30V vs D2 blade steel, etc., that's all just minutiae. As long as you have anything, you're 100x better off than the person who has nothing. Nobody is going to refuse a blanket if they're cold, even if it's just a cheap airline blanket. What's important to remember is that the equipment itself isn't really that important, having it with you when you need it is what makes the difference.

#159855 - 12/25/08 03:08 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"In this case, I do not believe ether (wool or fleece blanket) by itself would have made much difference. Getting the people out of the wet clothing and into a warm ambulance was really the only way to prevent severe hypothermia. Blankets, whether wool or fleece will not be very effective, if the body is not producing heat and if the wet clothing is not removed quickly."

A bit OT but lacking any other options there is another alternative:

We have had good results warming people by assembling what amounts to a one person heated environment. One way is to get the person out of the majority of their wet clothing. Getting them into a poncho, with a liner if available. They sit on a sleeping pad cross legged or with knees pulled up with the poncho forming a tent around them. A candle, small oil lamp or carbide headlamp is placed between their legs so the knees, and hands if needed, keeps the poncho away from the flame.

The result is that the small flame rapidly warms the enclosed area and this warms the person even if they aren't producing much heat. In a few minutes the interior of the one-man environment is pushing 80F and warming proceeds rapidly.

I have used a similar method in wet caves. We would carry large garbage bags that formed the enclosure once a hole is cut for the head. When the symptoms of hypothermia became apparent we would all get into our bags and use our carbide headlamps for heat.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.