Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#158970 - 12/18/08 08:08 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: paramedicpete]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Pete,

First - I don't really like wearing hats, but I recognize the necessity of having a hat to wear both at work or because of the weather.

The only hats that I carry around are:

Ball caps or hats with attached (chin) strap that I can hang onto a Lanyard Clip that is on my belt.

Touques or Berets that I can tuck under my belt or roll up and put under the epaulets that are on a shirt or jacket.

That's the closest I have come to a solution that will keep me from losing hats.

#159001 - 12/18/08 10:19 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: paramedicpete]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Alligator clips, like our mothers used to fasten our mittens to us?

#159002 - 12/18/08 10:25 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: paramedicpete]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Yep, time for the idiot mittens. I used to use them so I could just let them hang around my neck when in the lodge between ski runs.

RIP OBG

#159123 - 12/19/08 03:06 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: wildman800]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
When I am wearing a jacket, I usually roll up the hat and put it in the sleeve figuring, I would have to remember I had a hat when I put my arm in the sleeve and encountered the hat laugh. However, I have been known to put on my jacket, miss the hat and sometime latter say to myself “I know I had a hat, what did I do with it?” confused.

Pete

#159161 - 12/19/08 06:38 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Not quite the same sort of fleece material setup, but very interesting. I may buy a swatch and see what it actually looks like.

Perhaps 'Polartec Powershield with high loft', soft shell fabric would make a better blanket material than the Gore Windstopper. The Poweshield fabric seems to be regarded as being more comfortable and durable with a high insulation factor than the Gore Windstopper fabric.

A 2 metre by 1.5 metre blanket made from 'Powershield High Loft' would weigh around 1kg

Quote:
The Power shield high loft concept belongs to the very latest of Soft Shells (Millet call Action Shells) .It is based on a 2 layer system comprising of a fleece insulant and a breathable ,water resistant outer layer which offers optimal protection in the event of adverse weather ,while also guaranteeing breathabilty ,abrasion resistant and stretch properties. All factors that afford enhanced freedom of movement.Powershield High Loft features two main characteristics its 100% Polamide stretch outer layer, which is highly abrasion resistant and its high loft inner layer with an exceptional weight warmth ratio 22% polyamide, 78% polyester, 310g/m2 DWR treated.

The Artillery blanket fleece material seems very interesting as I have not come across a true waterproof fleece which is as waterproof to the same extent as say Goretex.

The Polartec Powershield Fabric appears to be available in Canada,

http://www.justmakeit.com/fabrics/fleece/index.html

#159165 - 12/19/08 06:56 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
All these new textiles have me discussing with my seamstress, er, spouse about some new ideas. Trouble there...

Yes, I will positively confirm that my artillery blanket will not allow water to soak through the fabric so long as I put no holes in it. The lamination is a 100% water barrier. You have to physically damage it to make it leak, and since the weave is naturally hydrophillic, moisture deposited on the surface tends to stay at the surface, unless it is hydraulically forced into the weave, and even then it will want to migrate back to the surface once the pressure is removed.

#159267 - 12/20/08 05:48 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: el_diabl0]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Benjammin, I went to the website to look at the artillery blanket. At roughly 6 1/2 feet x 4 3/4 feet, how heavy is it? Not looking for something UL, but does it weigh 2 pounds or 4 pounds?

Maybe you could stand on a scale with and without it or you might even have a fish scale or food scale you could use.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this. At $80, if it does what you say it does, it would be worth 2x the cost of a 'improved' woobie.

#159275 - 12/20/08 12:59 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: comms]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Benjamin is doing a GREAT job answering questions - you sure you're not a spokesman? wink

I almost pulled the trigger on a discounted blanket, but the 48x60 size stopped me - too small to wrap around myself comfortably.

I'll be interested if the others of you that are buying second Benjamin's observations. I might have to get an Arty blanket then.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

#159286 - 12/20/08 03:11 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Benjamin is doing a GREAT job answering questions - you sure you're not a spokesman? wink

I almost pulled the trigger on a discounted blanket, but the 48x60 size stopped me - too small to wrap around myself comfortably.

I'll be interested if the others of you that are buying second Benjamin's observations. I might have to get an Arty blanket then.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

To kinda second Benjamin,
If this is the same fleece / laminate combo that I talked about in the "quiet clothes, tents and tarps" thread it is amazing. If rain won't penetrate my light jacket while riding at highway speed on my motorcycle, it isn't going thru during a night sleeping in the rain.

Edited by Desperado (12/20/08 03:12 PM)

RIP OBG

#159302 - 12/20/08 05:53 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: ducktapeguy]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If I were going to a wet environment I would carry fleece. If it were dry, and I didn't mind the weight, wool. Wool is much more durable and versatile, just heavier and it takes longer to dry; however it will still keep you warm when wet.

Are you more worried about weight or durability?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.