The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#159428 - 12/22/08 12:38 AM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have no doubt that we could have a million or two dumped on us without it changing us one little bit. In fact, I hereby volunteer to be a test case. Anyone want to apply for a federal gran? You could become a PHD over this. PM me for info as to where to send the money...

#159952 - 12/26/08 01:08 AM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Blitz]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blitz
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I have that all wrapped up. 17 and 18 year old sons handle low level threats. For long distance I have an M21 Optics. Intermediate distance M1A NM Iron Sights. Closer "Urban" distances SOCOM 16 (supposedly Christmas). Remington 870. In your face distances any number of .45ACP's. Mostly one of John Browning's finest creations.

If the young man is lucky it will be very quick. I really don't like getting my hands sore.
Did I mention I am rather fond of the M14 series of rifles? Looks like the M21 may be sold to a deserving LEO in Oklahoma though.

Wish you well in getting your Christmas Present.

BTW I'm a Mossberg fan

Now we have a problem...
I received a gift certificate instead of the rifle itself. Which one do I choose another M1A or M4????

RIP OBG

#159967 - 12/26/08 03:02 AM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
About six months ago they came out with a study saying that 70% of state lottery winners within 5 years are bankrupt and in debt more than they won. They said that 90% of Powerball winners become bankrupt and in debt in excess of 20 million dollars within 2 years. I wasn't shocked. A lot of people who win the lottery often are the kind of people who don't know what to do with a large amount of money.

The states ought to require winners above a certain amount to submit proof that they have consulted with a financial planner, CPA and attorney, and that they have been thoroughly advised and have financial and legal plans in place, before the money is disbursed.

I also think it is shameful that we resort to state sponsored gambling to fund education. That being said, I do pay the stupid tax regularly, and I win every time. That's because I play entirely for the fun of thinking about winning, usually on my long, boring commutes, and hold zero expectation of actually doing so.

I really don't think my life would change all that much. I'd still work as a firefighter/paramedic, for sure. I would also use my legal skills to do entirely pro bono work for worthy persons and causes. Or I might go do some kind of humanitarian relief work on my own resources. But I don't think I'd move from my current home unless I had to. But more vacations and fancier cars, sure!

Jeff

#159976 - 12/26/08 07:01 AM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
About six months ago they came out with a study saying that 70% of state lottery winners within 5 years are bankrupt and in debt more than they won. They said that 90% of Powerball winners become bankrupt and in debt in excess of 20 million dollars within 2 years. I wasn't shocked. A lot of people who win the lottery often are the kind of people who don't know what to do with a large amount of money.

I saw something interesting in an older study of lottery winners - the ones who keep working tend not to go broke! It seems they just keep living the same life, but don't worry about the bills as much, and typically go on a nicer vacation every year - basically the same ones that they did, but eat in a nicer resturant etc

In short, they don't let the money go to their heads
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#159982 - 12/26/08 01:49 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: KG2V]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe

I saw something interesting in an older study of lottery winners - the ones who keep working tend not to go broke! It seems they just keep living the same life, but don't worry about the bills as much, and typically go on a nicer vacation every year - basically the same ones that they did, but eat in a nicer resturant etc

In short, they don't let the money go to their heads

Perfect example: Young man who was a lineman for the local electrical utility hit it big several years ago. Quit his job and went to buy he and his wife Hummer H1's. She drove her H1 to a plastic surgeons office and shall never drown. He decided to become a custom home builder. He got his job back at the electric company last week, seems he lost his butt, cause he didn't know what he was doing.
I knew this family, and my father and I tried to council him against it. we could see the trouble on the horizon in the business, he just wouldn't listen.

RIP OBG

#159990 - 12/26/08 02:33 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I already have the M1A National Match and the M21. From what I hear about the cost of upcoming med's for potential MRSA, I think I may just set tight for a while and see where this goes.

RIP OBG

#160000 - 12/26/08 03:23 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Desperado]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Here is a picture of me and one of my working dogs, Ferguson, setting up for the off lease obedience portion of a Schutzhund trial:

In the second picture I am "paying" Fergie for doing an exercise correctly during training:

#160182 - 12/27/08 08:09 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: GarlyDog]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Good looking pup. Almost scary how much he looks like one of my two girls.

RIP OBG

#160227 - 12/27/08 11:52 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Thanks guys. Fergie is a boy. Here is one my girls, Kimba! She is still a puppy in this picture.

Isn't she cute?

Edited by GarlyDog (12/28/08 06:05 PM)

#160303 - 12/28/08 04:20 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: GarlyDog]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Somewhere there is a picture similar to that one with Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department K9 Ben on my arm. At the time my free hand had a grip on the end of the sleeve, and I was spinning in circles. We were locked eye to eye and I swear he was smiling at me.
Two years or so later Ben had to be put down after contracting a blood disease at the site of the Murrah Building bombing. He was a damn good K9 and really good with kids. It was really funny, he would remember the decoy, and after the training come up and "nip" the heels of your boots. It was like he wanted to come back and remind you "HAHA, I won, now pet me or we start again".

Side note: Ben was one of the few "triple threat" dogs in the area. Explosives/accelerants, narcotics and patrol certified.

RIP OBG

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 109 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.