Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#159147 - 12/19/08 05:42 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Lono]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Quote:
I'm curious, how do you attach the Bic lighter to your ID necklace?

soldering gun? laugh

#159149 - 12/19/08 05:53 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: yelp]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: yelp
Unless you're conveying information that's color coded, why carry blue and yellow flagging? In my experience, fluorescent pink and, to a lesser extent, fluorescent orange have the highest visibility in most environments.

Back in my SAR days, the woods often had many orange and pink flagging tape streamers from hikers and loggers, We always carried off color flagging tape so we could easily tell which tape was ours.

#159152 - 12/19/08 06:05 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Stu]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
@Desperado : in my specific situation, purchasing a PLB doesn't make a lot of sense. Being a SAR volunteer, I weighted the pros and cons of such a purchase and quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. A PLB would stay in the closet 98 % of the time (we don't get called out THAT often). We usually search in teams (6+ persons), everyone has a GPS/compass and the corresponding skills to use them, we have radios, cell phones, spare batteries, headlamps... You know what? The command post knows which area we are supposed to be searching in, and we don't check out after a given period of time, they would start looking for us. No need to activate a PLB really... regroup, build a nice fire, chat and just wait it out until the morning comes. Nothing risky there. I'd even make it a fire building exercice! I'm far from saying that PLBs are useless, i'm just saying that in my situation, it isn't the best investment.

As for food, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some stuff. You know, since i've never used my stove/cookset on a search... The thought of taking it out of my kit has crossed my mind. I will typically snack on CLIF bars and peanuts throughout the day and when it's over, we'll debrief informally in front of a good meal in a nearby restaurant.

A smoke signal could be nice. I wonder if they're expensive? Do they have an expiry date? Typically though, to give our your position, you can use radio communications and GPS/maps. You can build a fire, use a signal mirror, wave flashlights...

@PC2K : Good catch. Rest of climbing equipment is in our support trailer.

@yelp : Exactly what SBRaider (and others) said. We carry different colors because it is not uncommon to come across pieces of tape used by surveyors or owners in privately owned forests. For example, if we see a lot of orange or pink, we will use blue or yellow. Simple as that. It's not a question of visibility.

@Lono : Take a small ziptie and pull it tight to form a small loop. Then, simply glue the square (edge) part to the bottom of a regular-size Bic with Locktite glue. I can post a close-up picture if you want.

#159155 - 12/19/08 06:10 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: SARbound]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Aha, Locktite - I have a tube of that, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

#159157 - 12/19/08 06:16 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: SARbound]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Like the reminder card.

Whats the total weight?

What the cubic inches and weight of the pack alone? I need
a new one.

#159158 - 12/19/08 06:19 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: SARbound]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I am Hypoglycemic so I always lean toward food. One thing with the pyrotechnics, be careful. Signal fire good, forest fire bad. (But you already know that.)

I previously had some issue M18 smoke and there was no date on them. All the SOLAS type stuff is dated I think. I really like the ACR strobe that replaced my old military standby. I don't remember the model of the old one, but the batteries were proprietary so it was time for it to go. The SF and SEAL guys I met had a shoulder pocket sewn to the old BDU uniform for this light. Now the new uniforms have shoulder pockets. I cannot imagine being back in the army and not having one with me.

Kinda pricey though.

Good kit, was I right about LEO experience? How close to Montreal? We may come back that way during warm weather if vacation planning allows.

Edited by Desperado (12/19/08 06:44 PM)

RIP OBG

#159167 - 12/19/08 07:21 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Desperado]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I don't know where my surveyors got it, but we use a orange/silver reflective tape. It is nice in the dark because when hit with a flashlight it really stands out. Something to consider.

Are you referring to this stuff?

#159170 - 12/19/08 08:01 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Yep, that's it.

RIP OBG

#159175 - 12/19/08 08:31 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: Stu]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
We were taught to place the date, time and initials on the tape, if it was being used to mark a finding.

Pete

#159183 - 12/19/08 08:52 PM Re: Latest pics of my SAR kit [Re: paramedicpete]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
We were taught to place the date, time and initials on the tape, if it was being used to mark a finding.

Pete

We were also. I spent a lot of time in the woods in your area with SMRG and ASRC

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.