Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159054 - 12/19/08 02:17 AM do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday?

for example, if kids touch the leafs of xmas flower, would the kids skin get itchy?

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/holidays/f...ke-kids-hyper/1

#159066 - 12/19/08 02:57 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: picard120]
Jakam
Unregistered

We always had the peppermint pig for good luck back in the day.

Does that count?

#159069 - 12/19/08 03:09 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I've always believed in

Bah Humbug!!!

just kidding...

#159073 - 12/19/08 03:18 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My DW claims I'll die in my sleep if I kiss anyone other than her under the mistletoe. The fact that camels will be involved in this death makes me think it's just a myth but why chance it...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#159075 - 12/19/08 03:22 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: Blast]
Jakam
Unregistered

Yes beware the camels. You crack me up.
Oh, yeah- And geese.

#159084 - 12/19/08 03:46 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: picard120]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: picard120
do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday?

for example, if kids touch the leafs of xmas flower, would the kids skin get itchy?

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/holidays/f...ke-kids-hyper/1

Only one. We never abbreviate Christmas.

RIP OBG

#159087 - 12/19/08 03:56 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Blast
My DW claims I'll die in my sleep if I kiss anyone other than her under the mistletoe. The fact that camels will be involved in this death makes me think it's just a myth but why chance it...

-Blast

Take Heed of the Wife's warning. whistle

Camels have nothing to do with it.

Edited by Blitz (12/19/08 03:58 AM)

#159092 - 12/19/08 04:21 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: Blitz]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
One myth from I always heard was:
"If you open a present on Christmas Eve, there's going to be one less present for you under the tree on Christmas morning". That one has always scared me, so I always wait until the morning. I passed that one on to my daughter too, but she's somehow figured a way around it. hmmmmm

Another myth I always heard:
"Christmas sure came early this year!". THat one has always puzzled me, because I know that December 25th is always at the same time each year.....

And lastly:
"Santa might put coal in your stocking". Now, this has never happened to me, so I don;t know if it's really a myth or if I've just always been good.

Edited by Stretch (12/19/08 04:22 AM)

#159094 - 12/19/08 05:17 AM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: Stretch]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ho Ho ho, our two british friends never ventured to the poinsettias native range in old Mexico. Wild poinsettias have this common trait to all plants, they don't move much. And, like all plants there are these really wierd lifeforms that do, often accompanied by rude behaviour such as eating plants.
And to that plants respond with thorns or needles or, poisons.
The native poinsettia is indeed toxic enough to cause severe intenstinal distress in herbivores. It's that white milky fluid where alkaloids are stored that gives them that bad taste.
It is the non native planting soils and fertilisers that make commercial poinsettias less dangerous than their wild cousins.
But, make no mistake, household pets will chew on poinsettias, bad taste or not. it's more a territorial behaviour than a silent plea for more chicken in gravy feast.
And while ( usually) not life threatening, it can cause severe intestinal upset in cats and small dogs still.An older, or weaker animal can indeed succumb from associated stress and dehydration if not treated.
I can tell you one true fact that is no myth.
We have to many Penn And Teller 's running around as self appointed 'myth busters' the originals in Northern California themselves prone to error on occasion.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/19/08 05:20 AM)

#159129 - 12/19/08 03:29 PM Re: do you believe any myths on the Xmas holiday? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I used to go out to the barn and sit with critters, having heard that cattle and such can speak at midnight on Christmas Eve, and because the company was better in the barn than in the house. Did it a few times, nobody was chatty. Asked the old man about it-he said "Just cause the cows don't talk to you doesn't mean they don't talk."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.