Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#158997 - 12/18/08 09:47 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Blast]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
"1 man for every 20 women" Dude where do I sign up? LOL

Blast, Why choose agrarian? why not something else, like stone age (you pretty brung flower), or something for simple minds like that.

Mike

#158999 - 12/18/08 09:51 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: kd7fqd]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Blast, Why choose agrarian?

Agriculture = Beer

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#159006 - 12/18/08 11:03 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: JohnE
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?

Not I. *consults with subconscious* Not him. *looks* I'd ask my unconscious, but he's sleeping. But he doesn't like the cold and the wet and the no running water and internet, so I'm guessing no for him, to.

*grins*

I plan for longish disruptions- example is if you were to have a Katrina-magnitude event in your area. But longer than that... I think I'll pass. I like my soft, modern living, thank you very much. If I had to, I could probably make a water wheel and rig an alternator to it for a 12v power source. But I don't want to.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#159011 - 12/18/08 11:16 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Blast]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Also, there's only one guy for every twenty women but that might just be a mid-life crisis sort of thing.

-Blast, currently being crushed at work

Yes, Blast that is a middle age crisis fantasy. When those wonderful DD's of yours are teenagers and you're doing your best to survive having more than one woman in the house your fantasy will be moving to a monastary. With two daughters and a wife in the house I spent some weeks in the basement...

#159028 - 12/19/08 12:40 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Andy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Not to mention that they'd likely make you into their, um, er, houseboy.

Jeff

#159035 - 12/19/08 01:15 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?..."

No. Not only no, but hell no!!!

#159039 - 12/19/08 01:29 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Ok, so that's one maybe for OBG...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#159042 - 12/19/08 01:40 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?..."

No. Not only no, but hell no!!!

Well, um, I inadvertently tested a few items back in 1989. Hummm, uhhh umm, not something I would recommend as overall good for one's health.
Even remotely prepared, it cost me about 30 lbs. and over a month in the hospital. I still have issues from it (Jungle Rot does NOT go away it just rests).

We got from where we were to where we were supposed to be and did the missions, but I will never forget what bad water can do as a weight loss program.

So as the wise man said
OH NO, Not just no but HELL FUCKING NO!

Having thought about what I said, I will say that we have "practiced" a 'get-out'a-dodge" before. Wife and I had the 5th wheel ready to go and woke the kids in the middle of the night and went camping as fast as possible. Once there we took stock of what we missed keeping in the trailer and in the BOB's. Then we started "training". Everyone learned to use the different components of their BOB and then we moved to field expedient water gathering. That wasn't hard as it was raining cats and dogs. Each camping trip is spent with the 5th wheel RV as a "home base" and skills are worked on from there. We have also done this when everyone was out and about for work/school. Communicated, coordinated and hit the ORP. Store excess vehicles and move out. From a no notice start to out of the county in an hour is the goal. If we are too spread out we have secondary ORP's in differing areas as needed. But grab the BOB and hit the weeds for a week, NO.

Edited by Desperado (12/19/08 03:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Second Thoughts

RIP OBG

#159070 - 12/19/08 03:11 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Desperado]
Jakam
Unregistered

I first got interested in preparedness as a kid, after falling through the ice, bowhunting, far from home. My brother reacted appropriately, got me warm enough, but we both agreed it was close. Planning began soon after, throughout my teen years, and into my next couple of decades.

Then I lost touch, career, other interests, until Hurricane's Gloria (east coast), Iniki (far west coast), kept reminding me of how unprepared I had become.

Then a winter in new Mexico, 7200 feet, no electricity (the entire house was electric), 2 days before the road was plowed, 12 miles to the nearest grocery.

Here I am today. Never pushed to the limit, but gently reminded how fragile the supply chain is.

Another reason why the cooperation of others is so important- they saved my a** each time, I owe a big return favor to the next ill prepared, with restraint.

#159099 - 12/19/08 06:20 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I've always enjoyed long hikes in the wilderness, occasionally climbing a mountain or taking a trek through the unknown. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I have pushed myself a but further than I should, taking risks I could've avoided. Not in the sense of inviting danger on purpose but testing myself or my gear and enjoying the thrill you can only get from doing something extraordinary (but never truly daredevilish).

That said, I do not indulge in post-apocalyptic dreams and I don't look forward to any natural or man-made disasters. I don't need a disaster to prove myself as a human being. I just want to live a responsible life and do what I can to keep myself and everyone I care about safe while still remaining a functional member of our society.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.