Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#158969 - 12/18/08 08:03 PM A question about surviving...
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
eons ago when I first started posting here, just kidding, it's only been a short time really, I mentioned that I was interested in the psychology of preparing for survival.

That interest kinda gave way to the rush of acquiring some cool gear, learning some stuff, reading some books, more time needing to be spent at work, etc. But I'd like to revisit it, and put a question or two out to the group here at large.

How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear? I don't mean going camping and finding out that that the 20 degree sleeping bag is really a 40 degree sleeping bag, I mean an actual survival situation.

And, how many of you have pushed themselves past either a psychological or a physical or even an equipment limitation in order to see what would happen? Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear? Ever wish you had? Ever wish you hadn't?

I'm asking cause in reading some other "survivalist" forums I read an underlying theme of disillusioned people hoping for some sort of apocalyptic/personal confrontation event to take place in order to prove themselves and I don't get the same sort of feel from things I read here.

I'm not writing a book, nor am I accumulating data for a research paper, I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.

Private or public replies, your choice, private replies will remain so, I promise.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#158971 - 12/18/08 08:13 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: JohnE

I'm asking cause in reading some other "survivalist" forums I read an underlying theme of disillusioned people hoping for some sort of apocalyptic/personal confrontation event to take place in order to prove themselves and I don't get the same sort of feel from things I read here.

That's mostly because this isn't a survivalist forum.

#158972 - 12/18/08 08:18 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Nishnabotna]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I prepare to avoid problems but be able to cope better than the average bear. I also have a small irrational belief there is a little mojo working to scare problems away before they materialize if you are prepared.

#158975 - 12/18/08 08:26 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Well, that's a deep subject...

(Sorry, my wife teaches 3rd grade, that's the level of humor to which I am constantly exposed)

But not a bad question. I think it's a thought that occurs to some or maybe even many of us. Folks who are outdoors a lot for fun or work test their gear all the time; sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. We suburbanite deskjockies may have a Walter Mitty view of holding civilization together when disaster strikes but have no experience in actually doing so.

Do I secretly wish to actually being lost in the woods, or have my car slip into snow covered gully, or fight aliens or zombies just to have a 'learning' experience? Absolutely not!

I prepare for all those things (well, for space aliens and zombies, not so much). But if most of my gear never needs using I'll be ok with that.

Preparation, both physical and mental, for me is a way to provide for my family and challenge my brain so that when stuff happens I've got a chance. At least survival situations, on the wild chance they may occur, won't be a foreign concept. But I ain't about to go looking for one.

#158976 - 12/18/08 08:27 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Nishnabotna]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
there was a thread not long ago about some chap who deliberately put himself in danger motor biking in the desert. the virtual unaminous verdict on this site was that he was an idiot.
the sock

#158979 - 12/18/08 08:28 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear? I don't mean going camping and finding out that that the 20 degree sleeping bag is really a 40 degree sleeping bag, I mean an actual survival situation.

Nope. Since I'm in the disaster response business, I get regular exposure to the receiving end of that which has been through the spinning impeller. I also have occasion to risk my one asterisk semi-regularly. I'm not looking for more, although I have pondered this same question.

And, how many of you have pushed themselves past either a psychological or a physical or even an equipment limitation in order to see what would happen?

Yes, but in pursuit of other goals, and never just to see what might happen.

Jeff

#158985 - 12/18/08 08:59 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
An interesting question,,,,,

I don't "hope" or "expect" a TEOTWAWKI situation. I am afraid that an EMP incident is going to occur in our future, during my lifetime.

Things do seem to happen in my vicinity, HazMat incidents, Hurricanes, Auto Accidents, Persons blowing themselves up inside of small pick up trucks, etc.

Past colleagues have described the "Bo Zone" as a disaster zone that occurs more than 3 feet from my body and not more than 500 yards from my body. Because of the "Bo Zone", my experience dictates that I be prepared for anything!!!!

#158988 - 12/18/08 09:14 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've never "confronted" anyone, but I have had discussions with camping partners before we go - usually delegation of supplies and such, and their lack of stuff when appropriate.

Do I hope for something? Well, my dad thinks I do wink But really, I think it's odd that so many things happen when I'm not around. For example, the big east coast blackout happened a month after I moved from Philly. Most of the big fire seasons in CA happen when I'm not around - conversely, while CA is under ridiculous amounts of snow, here in Detroit there's about 2 inches on the ground (though more coming in). I wonder if I'm prepared enough for, say, a week long blackout. I don't "hope" for it, but I'd be curious. The best way to find out, of course, is just not use any electricity for a week, but I haven't done that.

I've never intentionally pushed myself, but occasionally stuff happens. I've gotten lucky so far, and in all fairness, I don't think some of those things wouldn't have been helped by being prepared.

#158992 - 12/18/08 09:30 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hmmm, I really don't want to break my leg while alone in the woods but I have to admit sometimes when I'm being crushed at work I fantasize about some sort of big "reset" button being pushed tossing us all back to an agrarian existence where I rule everyone with a strong but merciful fist. Also, there's only one guy for every twenty women but that might just be a mid-life crisis sort of thing.

-Blast, currently being crushed at work

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#158995 - 12/18/08 09:40 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Forty right?

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.