Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#159187 - 12/19/08 09:28 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.
Quote:
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?
First, as stated earlier, we aren't survivalists and this is not a survivalist forum. We're about preparedness. I look to earthquakes and wildfires when I think of likely situations. Others here look at hurricanes, tornadoes and serious floods. How about a routine drive out west and a winter storm brings you to a stop in a mountain pass. Survival may mean nothing more than extra clothing, blankets and a way to cook a small meal in your vehicle. For me it's about continuing to maintain the kits that will get me through that cold night. It's doubtful though that I'd ever let myself get that far into the mountains without knowing that the weather was closing in. Avoiding those situations is very doable.

I don't want to test my mettle in an EOTWAWKI scenario. There are enough natural situations in the real world that kill folks everyday.

#159245 - 12/20/08 03:11 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Russ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't like being inconvenienced. I figure that if I am prepared, i would be a lot less inconvenienced if there is a quake, volcano eruption, flood, toxic spill or wildfire.

Our state weather service is warning of 70-90 mph winds tomorrow, and nearly a foot of snow on top of the eight inches we're got now, and a windchill down to zero, with power outages in many areas nearly a given.

But I've got a bunch of wool blankets, a load of firewood, food, water and pet food. And I hope that that is enough.

Sue

#159274 - 12/20/08 12:47 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: JohnE
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?
Not me.

Quote:
Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear?
That doesn't sound like me either, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it about weapons? I know many people here are pro-gun, pro-knife and pro-self-defence; are you asking whether they have moved towards a fight instead of away from it because they thought they had superior fire-power?

#159281 - 12/20/08 01:53 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

and it's going to start warming up. All that snow and then it warms and starts to rain. . .

#159283 - 12/20/08 02:51 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: comms]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My answer is an exact copy of comm's

Originally Posted By: comms
My truest intentions for preparing myself with information and gear is to protect my family in case of a civil disturbance that affects my family and to support my friends while we are out.

I don't expect TEOTWAWKI nor do I prepare for the apocalypse or to live in the 21st Century with only 17th Century technology.

I do expect that during any given day, someone I know will need a multi tool. That at some point I may be called upon for a lighter or start a fire. Someone will need a mirror that 'hey what do you know', doubles as a signaling device. That a whistle travels farther than my voice. That I am always in need of a flashlight.

If traveling in a non-cell reception area, (like most state & national parks)or in bad travel conditions I have food, water, shelter and gear to keep warm for an extended period of time.

I have been in life threatening civil conditions a few times and my approach is not 'Rambo' or 'survivalist', its prudent planning and thoughtfulness.

Having said that ( well, comms said it ) , I sometimes wish a tiny disaster disturbs our (family) life. Not a life threatening thing, but a big inconvience shakes my wife to start prepping, or at least stops laughing at me when I prep. A loss of power for two days and a wife shaken at the possible loss of her frozen stuff is not too bad.

A few such events have happened already and my wife started the first step of a 1000 mile.

I do not wish anyone to get hurt in the meantime - not at all.

#159296 - 12/20/08 04:19 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

#159309 - 12/20/08 07:21 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: Brangdon]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal

Quote:
Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear?
That doesn't sound like me either, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it about weapons? I know many people here are pro-gun, pro-knife and pro-self-defence; are you asking whether they have moved towards a fight instead of away from it because they thought they had superior fire-power?[/quote]

That's pretty much what I was thinking of when I asked. There are a lot of folks who talk a lot about weapons, just wondering if any of them have ever as you say, moved towards a fight, rather than moving away.

I'd be shocked if anyone actually fessed up to doing so, not that they did it, but if they admitted it.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. The info isn't going anywhere, just for my own edification.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#159329 - 12/20/08 10:35 PM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: JohnE]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Actually I have moved towards a fight once. I was at the age of about 15. A newcomer in the school class turned out to be a bully and he chose to bully me. It was fight or be bullied for at least a year or two. So I chose to pick the time and place. It was an unarmed fight but with 9 years of martial arts training it was not a fair one.
Apart from that I avoided fights. Good self defense instructors always tell you that you don´t loose a fight if you manage to avoid it in the first place.

#159453 - 12/22/08 02:56 AM Re: A question about surviving... [Re: M_a_x]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Much like others collect stamps or coins or whatever, I look at preparedness as a hobby. Unlike a coin or stamp collector who would never consider actually using the items they collect, I actually get to use of most of my items through various training exercises, as well as during camping trips on weekends.

While it's unlikely we'll ever experience TEOTWAWKI or a zombie-infested PAW, I have had opportunities to use several of my items during a few SoCal earthquakes, a couple of extended power outages, and once when a week-long expedition into the mountains got quite ugly.

Although I also don't expect to ever witness a major civil disturbance scenario, I do have a collection of various firearms and a significant cache of spare mags and ammo. I enjoy most shooting sports and having lived through the last assualt weapons ban in 1994, I simply didn't want to find myself wishing that I had bought an AR-15 and a bunch of PMAGS two months into the next ban. One only has to look at how crazy everything has been over the past six weeks since the election to imagine how difficult it would be if you actually needed to acquire anything during a legitimate crisis.

Jim

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.