Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#159717 - 12/23/08 08:33 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: Eugene]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Ha, <sarcasm> a real unbiased source there </sarcasm>

Microsoft has put out a lot of papers, some show the cost of ownership lower for their software, showing the uptime greater, etc, all of them are good joke material for the whole IT industry.

Eric, Eugene - Jeff Jones is known for his objective reviews of publicly available security vulnerability data - just the facts, wherever it leads. Dismissing him or his reports because of his employer is wrong, and misses the point: his objective analysis is dead-on correct, whereas your dismissal of his findings is not. Dismiss the analysis if you can, but its been over a year, and greater minds than ours haven't been able to do that. Ad hominem attacks don't win very many arguments with me, anyway.

To me this isn't about open versus closed source or Microsoft versus Anybody But Microsoft - in a measure of relatively security, Microsoft's more recent products do measurably better across the board, from Windows to IE to Office to SQL. Microsoft has internalized certain security coding methodologies that result in fewer security vulnerabilities over time. Its a long and hard process, never perfect in its realization. I would like to say that competing applications and operating systems have taken a similar course, apparently though they have not. In general I would say that Microsoft has gotten better at this security thing, while its competitors have not. That can be difficult for some to admit. cx You can dismiss hard facts if you like, its to your detriment though. Don't mislead others along the way if you can help it.

#159719 - 12/23/08 09:06 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: Lono]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Lono:

I disagree with you and agree with Eugene. There are many, many security experts with no ties or vested interests in any software company that state the same facts. But I guess Jeff Jones is the only real expert that counts in your view.

I just finished a test of 0 day compromise attacks against fully patched and unprotected Win XP and Win Vista systems. Within 23 minutes of putting both these pc's on the internet, they were both compromised with the XP faring the worst.

A comparison test using Linux distro, Centos, Suse and Kubuntu showed that all three of these pc's using a default install still have not been compromised after 4 days around the clock exposure to the internet.

Is this is scientific test? No it is not, yet is close to the real word testing as we need to make reasonable and key decision on.

I noticed that you claim to be located in the PNW...would your work address be somewhere near Microsoft Way, Redmond WA.?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.