Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158906 - 12/18/08 02:42 PM Internet Explorer Security Concerns
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Being in the automotive industry I'm having the good fortune (?) of having several weeks off. Hopefully that won't lead to more permanent time off. Unfortunately my wife's job is preventing her from taking any vacation time through the end of the year (sigh). That means this week I'm enjoying spending more time on-line that normal.

This morning I stumbled upon this Internet Explorer security warning.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811

"The major press outlets are abuzz this morning with news of a major new security flaw that affects all versions of Internet Explorer from IE5 to the latest beta of IE8. The attack has serious and far-reaching ramifications -- and they're not just theoretical attacks. In fact, the flaw is already in wide use as a tool to steal online game passwords, with some 10,000 websites infected with the code needed to take advantage of the hole in IE.

Virtually all security experts (as well as myself) are counseling users to switch to any other web browser -- none of the others are affected, including Firefox, Chrome, and Opera -- at least for the time being
"

I'm a pretty typical computer user - certainly not an expert - and am wondering what those who know more about these things thing about it.

I've used Firefox and like it, but found using bookmarks in it kind of a pain.

Today I loaded Google Chrome for the first time (using it now), and I've got to say I'm impressed so far. Simple. Very fast.

A few years back I had my work laptop messed up enough by malware that it needed to be re-imaged. It had Norton's security software on it and still got trashed. Since then I've been VERY careful about which sites I visit.

Your thoughts?

Ken

#158913 - 12/18/08 03:00 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: KenK]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I use Safari on both my Mac's and PC. Works great and is very user friendly. If you have an iPod or iPhone and have connected it to the 'puter you are using, you probably have it. Oh yeah, NO SECURITY ISSUES.

Grew up on PC's, switched to Mac last christmas. I have one program that cannot be run on Mac that I have to reboot to windows OS on my mac. If I am in windows OS, I AM NOT on any network due to all the security issues. Now when the next job comes, I am sure it will come with a PC. It will be "work only" due to PC security issues and companies really don't like personal business on the time or machines.

RIP OBG

#158924 - 12/18/08 04:28 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: KenK]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yea, IE has just gottne too unsafe to use anymore. I gave up on IE and windows about 5 yeras ago after I got hit twice with some crap I had to reinstall to remove. I had my system locked down really secure, running as a non admin user, etc.
No software is perfect and no software is completely safe, but to have the browser integrated into the os allows a browser hole to become an OS hole, the worst thing Microsoft ever did was that integration.

#158928 - 12/18/08 04:59 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
+1 on Chrome. I use it too.

BTW, what makes Mac more secure is that they are less juicy targets since there are fewer of them in the market place. They are installed in less critical locations, etc.

Rest assured, as Macs become more and more popular, they will become targets too. If Macs cross over to the "enterprise" in a big way you can bet on them becoming attacked just like their PC brethren. There is nothing inherent about the Mac's OS that makes it more secure. It is just less profitable to attempt to exploit them...

So for now, security through obscurity works....

http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=159900444

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=712742

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/12/is-apple-os-x-more-secure-than.html

GarlyDog
CISSP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISSP

Edited by GarlyDog (12/18/08 05:12 PM)

#158933 - 12/18/08 06:04 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: GarlyDog]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
But security added to obscurity is even better.

RIP OBG

#158942 - 12/18/08 06:31 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: Desperado]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I can't blame IE - by the numbers, its just as safe or safer than Mozilla (who released a fix for a dozen vulns a couple days ago) or Opera (who did the same last night). I use each of these from time to time. IE is a bigger target, so caveat emptor, and with any browser be careful where you go. Microsoft already released the critical update patch to address this, and I applied it, so no worries there.

For the record, I run mostly Windows Vista, and in 20+ years have only been hacked by my daughter's iTunes app (which has an attrocious security record), or my son's predeliction for dodgy Runescape installs. In general I trust Microsoft to code more securely than Apple or some of the others, and I think their recent track record backs that up - and in software, the only relevent measure is today's actual performance. ymmv of course.

#159136 - 12/19/08 04:37 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: KenK]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I spend ALL DAY on a computer, mostly using web sites, doing a LOT of research and planning. I use the web ALL FREAKING DAY.

Since I make a living with web browsers and a laptop, I need one that WORKS all the time.

Since I do all my banking and financial management online, I also am critically aware of the security issues facing IE users.

I personally use a Mac Book Pro, I browse mostly with Firefox with a raft of plug-ins and filters, LittleSnitch runs on the computer (monitors all network connections), my firewall is ON at all times on the computer.

For the times where I simply MUST use IE, I fire up an instance of Windows XP as a virtual machine with Parallels on the Mac. I keep a "fresh install" copy of the XP virtual machine image,I copy that, run the VM from the copy, leaving the original "safe" copy alone and once I'm done with using IE for whatever reason I was forced to do it (mostly [censored] poor web coding or an insane reliance on Active-X), I delete the potentially contaminated copy of XP.

I'd sooner travel across the arctic in wet jeans and T-shirt than use IE for anything. It's a DANGEROUSLY BAD program.

#159160 - 12/19/08 06:37 PM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: KenK]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
One more thing...

Google Chrome. A good browser for today and a better browser for tomorrow.

Get it. Live it. Love it.

It's CRISP and SIMPLE.

#159227 - 12/20/08 01:02 AM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: MartinFocazio]
sodak Offline
Addict

I've been in the Unix world since the late 70's. It was part time, but I switched over to Linux full time in the mid 90's, when Windows 95 came out. I don't hate MS, nor am I "religious" about operating systems, I just hate GUI's.

I use IE at work (no choice), but have my wife use Firefox, and I do sometimes also. It's pretty good. Most of the time, I use Pine. I still like it better than anything else, and I don't have to look at all the stupid graphics everyone tries to force on me. I'm getting grouchy in my middle age...

Since Mac is now Unix based, that is the way to go, and I've gotten most of my family to switch over. I still prefer Linux because I live on the command line, but if a user is not interested in that sort of thing, go Mac. If not Mac, then Firefox or Chrome (haven't tried that one yet).

#159423 - 12/22/08 12:09 AM Re: Internet Explorer Security Concerns [Re: Lono]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Popularity and numbers are only one part of security, there are other things to look at. Look at the description of security bullitons for an os like linux or browser like firefox, they are more often than not minor trivial things, then look at the bullitons for IE, they are large holes into the kernel of windows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.