Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#158885 - 12/18/08 12:53 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Desperado]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Desperado
In Oklahoma, It is against the law for revenue generated from traffic citations to be placed in any law enforcement budget. Now drug seizure money is an entirely different story.

And, as many know, a large number of drug busts are a direct result of minor traffic stops.

Irony: Bust someone for speeding, find a small amount of dope, the perp denies ownership. Bust someone for murder, they admit to using/possessing dope, perp uses drug addiction as their defense for murder.

Lesson learned: Charge traffic law offenders with murder to get them to admit to traffic offense and drug possession. crazy

#158886 - 12/18/08 01:10 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: snoman]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
My reasoning was, there are ump-teen million of those cars going by at 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit which the engineers set 10 - 15 mph slow anyway. If I stop one of them, which one do I pick right now? Now if some horses' posterior comes flying by much faster than everyone else we will have a volunteer. If the group as a whole doesn't see me and almost kill themselves (and everyone behind them) trying to slow down I might need to pick one from the herd to set the example for the rest. But if I am stopping grandma for keeping up with traffic, am I missing that horses' posterior on a crotch rocket doing an 85 mph wheelie?

Back to Oklahoma and Drug Seizure money. One must remember I35 and I40 intersect there in Oklahoma City. There is so much cash flying through that state from drug trafficking that if they got it ALL for one year that the entire state budget for ten years would be good to go probably.

Edited by Desperado (12/18/08 01:13 PM)

RIP OBG

#158894 - 12/18/08 02:09 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, where do you think all the lousy drivers in Washington came from? When Gregoire got elected as governor it should've been obvious that Seattle and Tacoma had been overrun by So Cal relocates. Hey, I would want to leave too, especially after seeing what the CA legislation is doing to the state budget, yet again. How many times can a state declare bankruptcy? So Cal is like a cancer to the rest of the country.

#158897 - 12/18/08 02:14 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: benjammin]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
One thing I've noticed here in SE PA is that the roads tend to get very slick, even with just light rain. I never noticed that in the NE.

I wonder if it is a function of the increased traffic, material road is paved with, something else?

Either way, people tend to not know how to drive in snow down here.

#158914 - 12/18/08 03:04 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Mike_H]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
One thing I've noticed here in SE PA is that the roads tend to get very slick, even with just light rain. I never noticed that in the NE.

I wonder if it is a function of the increased traffic, material road is paved with, something else?

Either way, people tend to not know how to drive in snow down here.

Can’t explain that observation to you Mike, Might be the topography, the increased traffic leaving more oil on the road, the way ice/rain/snow line seems to parallel I95 or alien technology gone wrong. But it can be an adventure driving in anything other than clear, dry, sunny conditions, on a holiday.

Personally I think that the folks who make driving an adventure when it snows are all the folks who moved from the cities, like Philly, to the country. In Philly the streets were never plowed so they couldn’t get their cars out to drive. They move to Chester County, buy their Suburbans and Expeditions, thinking that driving at 45mph on snowy, hilly roads is the same as city driving at 20mph on flat streets.

But if you think SE Pa is bad, try northern VA around DC some time. Yeesh!

I have a sibling who lives in Birmingham AL. The city has one snowplow. When it snows , everyone stays home.

Going to be a messy few days, maybe even a white Christmas! Take it easy out there and everyone be safe.

Andy

#158917 - 12/18/08 03:27 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Andy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
you guys are really making me dread coming to visit while dragging a 35 ft trailer! of course, we sure won't be in that part of the county in winter. us snowbirds don't do that kinda stuff!!!

#158919 - 12/18/08 03:35 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Andy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Andy

Personally I think that the folks who make driving an adventure when it snows are all the folks who moved from the cities, like Philly, to the country. In Philly the streets were never plowed so they couldn&#146;t get their cars out to drive. They move to Chester County, buy their Suburbans and Expeditions, thinking that driving at 45mph on snowy, hilly roads is the same as city driving at 20mph on flat streets.

I couldn't agree with you more. I grew up outside of W-B in the NE. The city would be getting rain, we would be getting 6 inches of snow. I was very used to driving in snow in nothing more than a standard front wheel drive sedan.

Those "road warriors" in their SUVs think they can go at whatever speed they want and not have a problem. Somebody needs to explain mass and inertia to them.

I still suspect oil / excessive traffic for the road conditions around the area. Then again, alien technology could be plausible.

#158937 - 12/18/08 06:10 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"where do you think all the lousy drivers in Washington came from?"

I've been rear-ended 11 times in the 15 years I've lived here. I haven't been hit anywhere near that many times in my whole life. It's gotten to be fort of a hobby to ask where they're from. Every single one is a native.

And stay well away from them when they're backing up! JEEEZ!

Sue

#158940 - 12/18/08 06:27 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Susan]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
I think it'S PENNDOT's fault. The West is no better I find myself slipping even on just wet roads, I do not remember that happening ten years ago.

#158941 - 12/18/08 06:30 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: CAP613]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: CAP613
I think it'S PENNDOT's fault. The West is no better I find myself slipping even on just wet roads, I do not remember that happening ten years ago.

It very well could be a change in the materials they use on the roads.

Sometimes here in Colo if they use one product and it gets a lot colder than they expect the product behaves like water would if they applied it (very slick).

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.