Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#158916 - 12/18/08 03:23 PM Re: death map [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
This is where I have to admit to all of my ETS friends that I'm a statistician by profession. Given that, I tend to look at most of these kinds of studies with some level of doubt, and I ALWAYS wonder about the objectives/incentives of those who are doing the studies.

One thing to keep in mind is that this map is simply showing fives levels of mortality. From a county perspective, someone has to be on the high side and somebody has to be on the low side. Does that really mean anything? I haven't a clue.

The data were from a 34 year period. Would the results be the same for the previous 34 year period (not that the data are likely available)? Or from the next 34 year period? If they split the data into three 10 year chunks, would each of the time periods have the same result?

I think I'd be very interested in knowing the range of the mortality rates - from lowest to highest. If its not that wide a range, then this is all of little real significance - just random differences.

If they'd have measured some characteristic that had absolutely no impact from geographic location - maybe something like telephone defect rates - the map could very well have looked just like the one shown. Does it mean anything?? Not really.

In the end I suspect that the numbers of people who die from reasons other than "forces of nature" are so much higher that we're talking about buckets in an ocean here.

Ken

Ken

#158918 - 12/18/08 03:30 PM Re: death map [Re: KenK]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

Kind of on topic, does anyone have a working link to one of those maps where you put in a zip code or other location and the yield of a nuke and then it displays the blast area and likely fallout area?

#158920 - 12/18/08 04:07 PM Re: death map [Re: username_5]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
does anyone have a working link to one of those maps where you put in a zip code or other location and the yield of a nuke and then it displays the blast area and likely fallout area?

Try this one:
Nuking Google Maps

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#158946 - 12/18/08 06:50 PM Re: death map [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It doesn't look like it makes much sense to me.

"People living in the South along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts have a higher likelihood of dying from a natural hazard compared to residents of the Great Lakes area and urbanized Northeast."

But the map doesn't really show that, does it?

It appears to me that many of the larger red areas are popular travel destinations: Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe to Yosemite, Glen Canyon to Canyonlands to Arches/Moab, Aspen CO ski areas, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the Adirondacks, Pine Ridge NE, Black Hills/Badlands of SD, Columbia River Gorge (WA/OR), etc.

So you get people with little wilderness experience or preparation who flock to these popular, scenic areas, and they get lost and die of hypothermia and hypothermia (even if they fell and broke their leg, they probaby died from one or the other).

And they say they were killed by Nature. Huh-uh.

Someone probably got paid a lot of money to sift through causes of death, and came up with this.

Pfffffttt!

Sue

#158959 - 12/18/08 07:26 PM Re: death map [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You got it,

It's a Bill Engvall "Here's your sign" map as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder, could they really map out "death by stupid" like this? Where do you suppose all the red would be then?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.