Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#158643 - 12/16/08 10:41 PM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: Roarmeister]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
3 more storms heading this way, I really hope those without power get it back tonight.

#158666 - 12/17/08 01:31 AM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: Blitz]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I'm in NH and just got back online with power this morning. We are quite well prepared here however. On day 2 we had a previously scheduled birthday party for my daughter. With the generator running and woodstove fired up, it was hard to remember that we were actually without power. Offered assistance to neighbors, but many just left for relatives and friends homes elesewhere. There we were making margeuritas and watching late night meteor shower outside because it was too warm in the house from running the stove all day. Felt a little guilty enjoying ourselves but hey, if you can why not? Today an acquaintance asked to "borrow" our generator because they are still without power. I'm reluctant however with snow predicted again. We've got two kids 5 and 6 and a baby, two dogs and two cats to worry about, you know?

#158703 - 12/17/08 11:39 AM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
The weird clear stuff is called ice Blast.

Well no wonder you are having problems. Ice is supposed to be in a glass surrounded by a nice bit of Makers Mark Whiskey, not all smeared over your trees/roads/power lines. laugh

-Blast

+1, Here here. Great idea.

#158773 - 12/17/08 06:17 PM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: kevingg]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: kevingg
I'm in NH and just got back online with power this morning. We are quite well prepared here however. On day 2 we had a previously scheduled birthday party for my daughter. With the generator running and woodstove fired up, it was hard to remember that we were actually without power. Offered assistance to neighbors, but many just left for relatives and friends homes elesewhere. There we were making margeuritas and watching late night meteor shower outside because it was too warm in the house from running the stove all day. Felt a little guilty enjoying ourselves but hey, if you can why not? Today an acquaintance asked to "borrow" our generator because they are still without power. I'm reluctant however with snow predicted again. We've got two kids 5 and 6 and a baby, two dogs and two cats to worry about, you know?

Keep the generator, 8-14 inches heading our way Friday.

#158816 - 12/17/08 09:47 PM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: kevingg]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Today an acquaintance asked to "borrow" our generator because they are still without power."

Your acquaintance knows what ice storms are, knows that NH gets them this time of year, knows what generators are, and knows where they're sold.

Keep your generator for your own family and see if he learns anything. Many people have to learn the hard way. Tough.

Sue

#158818 - 12/17/08 09:53 PM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: Blitz]
thtimster Offline

Almost 2 years ago we had a major ice storm January 12th (on a Friday)that shut almost everything down in & around Springfield, Missouri. It was bad enough that there was about an inch of ice on everything, but our city utility company had decreed that it was the homeowner's resposibility to keep the limbs clear from the powerlines between the power poles to the weatherhead on their houses. The majority of the homeowners (including myself) didn't do this be it apathy, lack of funds to hire someone to do it for them, or the lack of ability (old-age, acrophobia, admitted clumsiness.) Tranformers went down like dominos. The power was off by about 10pm except for downtown and anyone lucky enough to have their electricity run underground. Without the electric & everyone staying put it got eerie quiet so you could really hear the cracking & crashing of collapsing limbs & trees. Saturday, the day after the initial ice storm was even a bit scarier. A breeze stirred up & started moving & twisting the over-burdened branches. The cracking & crashing got more frequent. People started coming out to survey the damage & see what they could fix. I moved my truck to a nearby parking lot with no overhanging branches. Not long after a large limb smashed into my front stoop awning. Some of the people on my street (including myself) began checking on people, helping them clear downed limbs & move stuck/trapped autos. We began cutting up fallen & half-fallen branches even as more fell. By radio & some luckier by TV were instructed to pile unwanted limbs at the edge of their property for eventual removal. A few die hard radio stations began reporting on places were generators, fuel & other supplies & services could be found (most businesses were closed.) The sounds of generators could be sporadically heard around the neighborhood. One of my neighbors had somehow connected his semi cab to power parts of his house (like his TV & electric heater.) Reports of stolen generators spiked. By the end of the second day the temperature had dropped into the teens. I bundled up in blankets with my cat, lit some candles & the front stove burners, but I turned them off (blew out the candles)when I went to sleep. By Monday I couldn't take the cold anymore so I went to a friends house to crash on his couch. They were using their oven for heat. Later that week I accepted an invite from my niece who had their power back. The following Sunday my power was back on (9 days without power.) I had some friends that had been without power for more than 2 weeks. Many people had been driven from their homes by the damage & the cold. Many of the Branson, MO motels & hotels offered rooms to the displaced at bargan rates which earned some eternal gratitude. Besides that there were numerous acts of generosity reported. Fortunately, for myself it was so cold that I didn't worry about the contents of my chest freezer in my garage. Aside from the mashed awning, I did lose my last aquarium fish & some houseplants. My cat was chilly, but handled it fine as did the already outside dogs. I cleared/chopped up the branches & saved most of it for firewood, ferried some loads to my mom (she has a fireplace, but I don't) the rest went to a coworker (who fixed my garage door opener as a kind act.) The city gathered up all the branches that were shoved to the curbs, carted it all outside the city & burned in huge piles. There was some criticism that the city should have burned them in their coal plants, but the city said that wasn't possible. I guess letting people cut it up for firewood wasn't possible either. Eventually, there was a photo book published detailing or commemorating the event, but I can't remember the name of it. I guess that's were I began to seriously look at the 'Equipped to Survive' site to try to learn what I could so I would be better prepared next time. The branches are cut back from the powerlines (what branches I didn't cut back the city utilities did - 20/20 hindsight is wonderful thing) & I have a portable kerosene heater. I am by no means a very prepared or organized person, but it is a constant thought in my mind & I make positive changes whenever I can. This site has helped by recommending useful/timesaving/thrifty ideas/gear & discarding that which is not. I have a sister & her family in Portland, Maine who was probably caught in that ice storm the other day & maybe experiencing the same things I did 2 years ago. I tried calling last night, but so far she hasn't called back. Fingers are crossed.

#158830 - 12/17/08 11:48 PM Re: New Hampshire ice storm [Re: Blitz]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Blitz
Keep the generator, 8-14 inches heading our way Friday.

Dude, SHUSH! I'm moving this weekend. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.