Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#158535 - 12/16/08 02:53 AM Just slow down
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm sitting here in our end of the great cold and storm systems hitting the country.We have the rain, heavy snows and a few burn areas under watch for mudslides.
Nothing compared to some other areas,right?
Wrong
Pomona Freeway and a CHiP stops to help a disabled car. He is hit by TWO cars and killed. He leaves a pregnant wife and 4 children aged 7 years to 7 months. He was 29 years old.
I drove locally to the store and saw 8 accidents. I counted 5 vehicles skid,lock brakes and overcorrect into partial spins. I had a driver play bumpertag with the driver next to me and myself with his lights flashing to high beams.
We were going @ 5MPH under the posted limit. He finally got out at a red light screaming,kicking my bumper until the lights of a police cruiser AND an officer yelling at him to kiss pavement got his attention-after three commands.
That one felt good.
We use the STOP acronym in survival.
Tonight I'm thinking SLOW probably would avoid a lot of suprises; from a drive a few blocks to preparing a longterm survival larder.
I was in a hurry once in the store, grabbed three cans of saurekraut instead of two and am cooking italian sweet sausage with it my fatiqued brain said buy.
I did sit in my car until the defoggers made it clear, as did a cup of starbucks my brain.
Lady pulled up as I was backing out and got mad. So I pulled back in and she got mad again, wanting my spot by her gesticulations.
Did I say I like to sip my coffee, real slow?

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/16/08 03:01 AM)

#158547 - 12/16/08 04:39 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I'm glad you sipped your hot coffee slow and stayed cool.

It is incredible what some people do when they drive. My friend was getting on to the freeway which was pretending to be a parking lot. Usually people alternate when getting on or off the freeway. My friend had his turn to ease into the unmoving traffic and the guy behind him sees the tiniest bit of daylight so he goes for it. He accelerates and rear ends my friend re injuring his back that he just spent the past three years rehabbing because another idiot hit him three years earlier. My thoughts upon hearing about it...why I oughta...

Just this weekend, with the heavy rains, there were a few intersections without power and therefore without traffic lights. The rule is that it becomes a 4-way stop. These guys were just flying through the intersection without even slowing down. Crazy or at least stupid. When I got home, I decided to stay home and not venture back out to the post office. I figured that Bill_G and Chris_K could just wait for their loot.

Survival means not putting yourself in a bad spot when you can avoid it.

#158553 - 12/16/08 05:09 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Wrong
Pomona Freeway and a CHiP stops to help a disabled car. He is hit by TWO cars and killed. He leaves a pregnant wife and 4 children aged 7 years to 7 months. He was 29 years old.

Please brighten this story by telling me the drivers of the TWO cars were single with no family and were also killed. It would realign the karma at least.

May God be with the family of that officer.

Edited by Desperado (12/16/08 05:10 AM)

RIP OBG

#158554 - 12/16/08 05:09 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: aloha]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The most dangerous thing any of us do, statistically, is get behind the wheel of a car.

On the road you are subjected to the whims of fools and idiots whose foolish idiocy is amplified a thousand fold by thousands of pounds of steel.

Defensive driving is therefore a first-line survival skill.

Though what I really want is a rotating turret that fires golf balls at high velocity. A heads-up display and a couple hundred maxflites would be a heck of a lot more satisfying (and entertaining) than a DVD player.

#158556 - 12/16/08 05:41 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
we have a saying in Minnesota--"why is it that on the first day of winter everyone forgets how to drive??"--

#158557 - 12/16/08 06:08 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The officer was apparently struck by a BMW that was hit by a Mercedes in heavy rain, heavy being 1-2" in today's storm.
I don't know if excessive speed was a factor, but having driven that freeway once a week for 6 months convinced me it's a nasty one. And to add to this sad event, the officer was recently returned from military duty in Iraq.
Between first typing this, and checking back online, a nieghbor sitting in her parked car on the street was rearended.She didn't have her belt on yet and was severly injured.
I have passengers climb into my car and I insist they buckle up immediately. I get these looks of ' but we aren't even moving yet?' and I remind them everything else IS.
I think I can market a cheap safety and fuel saving devise. It's a wooden wedge with a bolt,slipped under hte gas pedal and calibrated to 65 MPH.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/16/08 06:13 AM)

#158560 - 12/16/08 06:47 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Here in the DFW metroplex we have a radio talk show host who has established a listeners foundation that supports the families of fallen police and fire fighters. The foundation serves an 11 county area.
Upon notification of an police/fire fatality the wheels are set in motion to provide the family a check to cover initial expenses before the insurance, etc. kicks in. The standard established is that the family has the check in hand within 24 hours of the time of death.
Currently the checks are $30,000.00
The listeners foundation came about after a multiple (4) fatality fire accident in about 1997. The fire fighters were all volunteers except that two were also full time fire fighters at another paid department. The two paid fire fighters city insurance refused to pay as they were killed at a fire for another department. It would have paid if they had passed ANY other way. This radio personality came out of his own pocket and paid for the funerals of all four and helped the families with other expenses.
Since then it has been my honor to aid with cash and labor to further that foundation.

On December 16, 2006 an officer was aiding a motorist in Ft. Worth. His scout car was struck from behind by a DWI driver. He was trapped in the Crown Victoria and died in the subsequent fire. He and his wife were anticipating his paycheck to go Christmas shopping. I was notified at daylight and started my family in motion. After the last visitation my family and I delivered an entire Christmas to a FWPD sub-station for anonymous delivery to the fallen officers family. I have always asked for no recognition. My company also goes out and does emergency repairs at these families homes and for officers injured in the line of duty.

If any of our ETS members have the time and wherewithal to aid folks that protect us, please do. I did meet the fallen officers family in 2006 at the wife's request. My family and I spent Christmas with them and helped/played with the kids. It was the worst and BEST Christmas of my and my families lives. I know that ETS has multiple Police/Fire/Rescue/EMS that are paid,unpaid, future and retired. Is it time to consider giving a little something to help this officers family? Is there a way ETS can help? I would be willing to put up the first small amount if it can be done. Let me know.

Sorry for the long story. (It really only touches the tip of the iceberg.) The fact that this thread came on the two year anniversary of the FWPD officer's death as I was taking off my coat from visiting the family at the cemetery.

Edited by Desperado (12/16/08 06:51 AM)

RIP OBG

#158566 - 12/16/08 11:03 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: Desperado]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Agreed!! Speed kills.

Last night, a speeding car looses control and is almost split in half when it hits a large tree. Two 18 year olds killed and four others seriously hurt.

#158569 - 12/16/08 12:26 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
snoman Offline

"struck by a BMW that was hit by a Mercedes"

Ever notice that although some can afford to buy a nice car, they can't afford the skill to use it safely?

#158571 - 12/16/08 01:07 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I think I can market a cheap safety and fuel saving devise. It's a wooden wedge with a bolt,slipped under hte gas pedal and calibrated to 65 MPH.

While I'm with ya in spirit. The speed limits in some areas is 70 mph. I really don't think it is the high speed but driver inattentiveness and the comprehension issues surrounding safe speeds for the driving condiditions. Hell...35 mph may be too fast under some conditions. I don't even have a problem with cell phones, or a drink, or a smoke, or whatever it is one might do...just not all at once (I've seen makeup, cig, food, drink, AND phone on the interstate by the same woman). If you're the type person who has issues being observant without any added issues, then I'm saying cell phones/cigs/food/etc may not be for you when you drive. If you're the type of person who will never again look over your shoulder to change lanes after passing your license test, the driving under any condidition is right out. And for you texters while ya drive...thanks for playing the lottery with our lives.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.