Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#161747 - 01/07/09 04:16 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: aloha]
dropout Offline

People are just mad in general. It's your fault they are late when you drive properly and you must be a retard if you don't speed up when you see a yellow light...
In Chicago I do allot of giving up the right away, smiling at people screaming at me, and helping old lady's to compensate for the general hate going around in this city. And i exclude no races in this. The rich whites are as equally a-holish as the latin gangs. (maybe more when it comes to getting in the way of their beamers) I'd love to live rural but i need to figure out a means of income...

Edited by dropout (01/07/09 04:17 PM)

#161748 - 01/07/09 04:18 PM Re: Try doing that in a heavy truck! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I think it was where I-105 came out to get on I-405. Was on heck of a surprise though.

RIP OBG

#161780 - 01/07/09 07:51 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: dropout]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: dropout
People are just mad in general. It's your fault they are late when you drive properly and you must be a retard if you don't speed up when you see a yellow light... I'd love to live rural but i need to figure out a means of income...

Not sure that would help much. My neighbor was involved in accident last week. She was driving down a country road at the speed limit of 25mph. As she came to an intersection where the cross street had stop signs (her road did not) a woman pulled out directly in front of her causing a collision, albeit minor enough not to cause the airbags to inflate. When my friend asked the woman why she pulled out the woman said "you were going so slowly I thought you were going to stop."

Oy.

#161898 - 01/08/09 02:01 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Andy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I see that one a lot, people look right at you then pull out in front of you anyway. I was rear ended years ago because I stopped at a red light before making the right turn. then she decided it was because I didn't have a third brake light in the old truck.

#161911 - 01/08/09 03:23 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My daughter got t-boned in her U.S. mail truck a couple of weeks ago, while crossing a signal controlled intersection on the green. Guy blew the red 'cuz he was texting on his cell phone. CA, in its infinite wisdom, made a hands free cell phone required while driving last July, but forgot about texting. Had to write a new law, which took effect a couple of days after the crash. Then, it being CA, the badguy tried to get away, caught by witnesses, had no proof of insurance, and said that she ran the red...

#161927 - 01/08/09 04:30 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It is scary out there with distracted drivers. It seems to get worse every year.

Research is pretty clear that hands-free phone users are almost as distracted as non-hands-free phone users.

I have been trying my best to not use my cell phone at all when I am driving, hands-free or otherwise. I changed my voice mail message greeting to reflect this.

Since I go from appointment to appointment, usually less than an hour each, I check messages, make calls, and do my text messaging before I leave the parking place.

It seems that many have an over-inflated sense their own self-importance when it comes to real time communication while driving or otherwise.

#161937 - 01/08/09 05:15 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: GarlyDog]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
What Garly says about the cell phones seems to be right.
There was, as always, a study done on it.

The one I saw was compared telephone conversation to a chatty passenger. The cell phone was far worse because even a chatty passenger shuts up and lets you drive when you are getting near corners and intersections.
Being on the phone was as bad as having kids fighting in the back seat, and whether it was a hands on phone or not seemed to make very little difference
The part that got me was they investigated the effect of having a coffee. It seems while a person is drinking a cup of coffee they are as bad in reaction time as a person who had two or three beers

-----
Here is another one that compared cell phone users to drubk drivers.

A Comparison of the Cell Phone Driver and the Drunk Driver

David L. Strayer
University of Utah

Dennis J. Crouch
University of Utah

Frank A. Drews
University of Utah

July 2004

AEI-Brookings Joint Center Working Paper No. 04-13

Abstract:
We used a high-fidelity driving simulator to compare the performance of cell-phone drivers with drivers who were legally intoxicated from ethanol. When drivers were conversing on either a hand-held or hands-free cell-phone, their braking reactions were delayed and they were involved in more traffic accidents than when they were not conversing on the cell phone. By contrast, when drivers were legally intoxicated they exhibited a more aggressive driving style, following closer to the vehicle immediately in front of them and applying more force while braking. When controlling for driving conditions and time on task, cell-phone drivers exhibited greater impairment than intoxicated drivers. The results have implications for legislation addressing driver distraction caused by cell phone conversations.

Keywords: cell phones, drunk drivers, performance, legislation

#162681 - 01/12/09 07:59 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: scafool]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
There was an insurance group study about 2-4 years back that looked at activities undertaken by drivers who were inattentive and had accidents. The study showed hands down it was radio play variants that occupied most of the top 10 activities. They separated things like radio, CD, etc. Food and drink were in there a couple of times as well. Makeup was in there as well. I remember the insurance industry leaders speak of food and radio being consistently high in the studies (it was on NPR). I don't see anyone leading the charge to eliminate radios from cars.

However, I don't necessarily think these things create driver inattentiveness rather than simply being the reason of the moment. Inattentive people will be that way regardless of how they do it. For about 2 years in an employer-provided van I had 6 accidents...all by people not looking over their shoulders when they wanted to change lanes...most in work traffic, a couple at night...WITH LIGHTS on dark roads!!! I see this several times a week still. Apparently you only have to look over your shoulder for the original driver's test...after that, don't bother. Anyway, it is hard to blame an activity when people make choices to engage in activities beyond their abilities. Hell, many people can't drive and TALK at the same time...especially you hand-talkers! wink

#162754 - 01/13/09 01:14 AM Re: Just slow down [Re: yeti]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: yeti
Hell, many people can't drive and TALK at the same time...especially you hand-talkers! wink

Drive and talk?! I am of the opinion that many people cannot successfully drive and breathe at the same time. If only those people could be convinced to stop doing one or the other. whistle

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.